New Mascot

BLIKNS

So now some time has passed, how is your opinion on the new mascot??  Has grown on me like it more ... Thoughts?

I liked the new Billiken logo when they premiered it and I loved it once they fixed the costume mascot issue. I think it looks more similar to the statue. I also think it looks better on merchandise because of the simpler lines, the previous logo was a little "too detailed" and if the image wasn't large enough I didn't think it came across well on some merch. For me though, any Billiken is a good Billiken. 

Something I would change over the years: I'm not in love with the new "SLU" or "Saint Louis" or "Billikens" word mark/font. Its ok, but it didn't blow me away. You could easily change the word mark without changing the Billiken, I kinda hope this new Billiken is around for a long time. 

I actually LOVE the University's academic re-brand that came out around the same time, I think the new fleur-de-lis logo is way, way cleaner. 

9 hours ago, prebilliken said:

I liked the new Billiken logo when they premiered it and I loved it once they fixed the costume mascot issue. I think it looks more similar to the statue. I also think it looks better on merchandise because of the simpler lines, the previous logo was a little "too detailed" and if the image wasn't large enough I didn't think it came across well on some merch. For me though, any Billiken is a good Billiken. 

Something I would change over the years: I'm not in love with the new "SLU" or "Saint Louis" or "Billikens" word mark/font. Its ok, but it didn't blow me away. You could easily change the word mark without changing the Billiken, I kinda hope this new Billiken is around for a long time. 

I actually LOVE the University's academic re-brand that came out around the same time, I think the new fleur-de-lis logo is way, way cleaner. 

I always loved the logos and the new mascot since it was fixed. I was told the branding company wanted to minimize the use of SLU.

9 hours ago, prebilliken said:

I'm in complete agreement.

The new logo shows up much better on merch and especially on TV, when it's used in graphics.

The font doesn't bother me too much, but I could see it becoming dated quickly.  I'm guessing they'll have to refresh it in a few years.

billikenfan05 and Pistol like this

I wasn't a big fan at first, but only because I love the old logo.  Mascots are mostly to entertain the kids (both young and college age).

My kids were scared of the two-toned head when it debuted, but absolutely love the all white one now.  So, if my kids are any indication, kids like it and want to see him at games.  That's good enough for me.

I HATED it when it first came out, only because I loved the old one. I've since come to accept that the new billiken looks better on the court, on graphics, and on merchandise. I still miss the old billiken mascot costume though because I feel like I get way fewer comments from friends who didn't go to SLU these days about our mascot being terrifying, which I always enjoyed/thought was funny. Most people (understandably) probably don't wan't the mascot to be nightmarish though, so that's fine. 

Does anyone have a picture of the new Billiken? I have a furry fetish so my opinion once I have evaluated a picture of the mascot will be the final decision.

Overall, I find myself becoming an old timer and almost across the board preferring vintage logos. And like someone said above with them often being more detailed and difficult to mass produce, I fully understand going to the cleaner new Billiken logo. I don't own anything with the new Billiken logo, but I certainly don't hate it. If memory serves, I am not a fan of the new physical mascot, but again I need a pic to further evaluate.

JMM28 likes this

14 hours ago, prebilliken said:

This. I think the new logo looks much cleaner on apparel. The previous logo started to seem dated to me. New logo, new(er) coach, new era of Billiken ball!

I was at a mens/womens doubleheader last season. Might have been a Saturday, the men's game was played first and the joint pretty much cleared out after that. I was staying for the women's game and was having an expensive meal on the quiet concourse between games.  A young couple with a little girl (maybe 3 or 4) came out of the alcove into the concourse just as The Billiken happened along.

Little girl screams bloody murder. Bloody murder of Biblical proportions. Almost dropped my Chicken Nuggets. Birds flew out of trees miles away. A bit of the ice shelf broke away in Antarctica. The Billiken, realizing he is the cause of this ruckus, backs up and ducks out of sight until the parents can whisk the terrified youngster away. I'm afraid that young lady will never be the same and will NEVER attend SLU.

Personally, I think the newer new Billiken is less scary than the older new Billiken but there is something about the side view (especially the jawline) that just ain't right. I guess it's the best they could do. I was just fine with the old Billiken but marketing, etc. I get it. It's why the Cardinals bring out a new jersey every couple of years right at the holiday shopping season.

As always, can't wait for the start of the new season. Let's go Bills!

I was at a mens/womens doubleheader last season. Might have been a Saturday, the men's game was played first and the joint pretty much cleared out after that. I was staying for the women's game and was having an expensive meal on the quiet concourse between games.  A young couple with a little girl (maybe 3 or 4) came out of the alcove into the concourse just as The Billiken happened along.

Little girl screams bloody murder. Bloody murder of Biblical proportions. Almost dropped my Chicken Nuggets. Birds flew out of trees miles away. A bit of the ice shelf broke away in Antarctica. The Billiken, realizing he is the cause of this ruckus, backs up and ducks out of sight until the parents can whisk the terrified youngster away. I'm afraid that young lady will never be the same and will NEVER attend SLU.

Personally, I think the newer new Billiken is less scary than the older new Billiken but there is something about the side view (especially the jawline) that just ain't right. I guess it's the best they could do. I was just fine with the old Billiken but marketing, etc. I get it. It's why the Cardinals bring out a new jersey every couple of years right at the holiday shopping season.

And the moral is eat chicken at Southern before game and not eat those pre made over priced nuggets. (4got u were at double header)

1 hour ago, White Pelican said:

Sounds like that child is 10-ply soft.

brianstl likes this