Article Examining Recruiting Spending to Results

https://watchstadium.com/news/how-much-is-your-school-spending-on-college-basketball-recruiting-07-29-2019/amp/

Article examines public records of spending on basketball recruiting and compares it to results. 

Key findings

"Of the seven schools that spent at least $500,000 on recruiting during the last fiscal year — Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Texas, Kansas, Ohio State and LSU — six enrolled a top-25 recruiting class in 2018."

"However, for every school that spent at least $500,000 on recruiting for a top-25 recruiting class, there are almost twice as many examples among the schools examined that spent less than $300,000 for a similarly rated class."

The article then examines other factors such as recent poll rankings. 

went down the list pretty quickly but i sure didnt see a lot of private schools on the list.  the size of the available checkbook for public vs private is always substantial.   that's why when one of the privates succeed it is worthy of taking notice as they start at such a disadvantage.  

8 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

went down the list pretty quickly but i sure didnt see a lot of private schools on the list.  the size of the available checkbook for public vs private is always substantial.   that's why when one of the privates succeed it is worthy of taking notice as they start at such a disadvantage.  

There were no private schools on the list.  They are not subject to open records request. 

I don't think Duke spends much on recruiting unless Coach K needs to get out of his house for awhile. The top recruits call him. Don't ask me why Duke doesn't win the championship every year with the NBA studs standing in line waiting to get an offer. Surprised UK spends that much. You'd think they'd be calling Calipari too.

5 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I don't think Duke spends much on recruiting unless Coach K needs to get out of his house for awhile. The top recruits call him. Don't ask me why Duke doesn't win the championship every year with the NBA studs standing in line waiting to get an offer. Surprised UK spends that much. You'd think they'd be calling Calipari too.

well i am sure they know how to hide the bag money in their "legitimate" expenses.  

I have no doubt that a number of schools, mostly public, spend more in basketball recruitment than other schools do, mostly private. The actual expense is not the real issue, the real issue is the value they get for the money they spend. Do you get more bang for the buck if you spend more? No one has answered that question.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Yes but the actual return for the private jet account is a big fat "0".

The return for the use of the private jet is time. You board and are in the air 15 minutes later; in many cases you can land at an airport closer to the event, you can hit multiple events, and you have zero connecting flights.

i have seen coaches on the recruiting trail, and sometimes it is easy to pick out those who drove, those who flew commercial, and the private jet dudes. You never know who you can dazzle if only you didn’t need to drive from St. Louis to Rockford starting at 4 am.

Old man, if you had to travel to a different hospital every time you saw a different patient, your work days would be a mess. Having the luxury of organizing your day, rather than have travel manage you, is a godsend for an abnormal but manageable period of recruiting.

As far as recruiting goes, it always pivots on relationships.

You could have bought Crews a private jet for his own use in recruiting and his performance as a recruiter and with the team would have remained substandard. Ford can recruit that is true, and it may be worthwhile to pick up the extra tab with him, but ONLY because the results expected (value for the buck) support the expense. It would not have paid to have Crews tooling around in a private jet, his results would have remained PP (for Pissed Poor). The school expenses for coaches using private jets cannot be justified if the results expected are not up to par.

5 hours ago, slu72 said:

Are recruits and their families allowed to fly on private jets, or is this just a benefit the coaching staff enjoys?  Also, I thought SLU owned a jet or two thru Parks.

Again, anyone have an answer to this?