Which OOC program (not named SIUC) would you like to see SLU develop a rivalry with ?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this is a subjective question, but there's not going to be a rivalry with a team outside the mid-west.  Also rivalries usually have some history.  

My top pick would be Xavier

Second, Butler

Then Creighton, Memphis, DePaul 

I think we can probably write off the chances of us getting a home and home with X, DePaul, or Marquette.  We haven't played a non conference home and home series with DePaul since we finished one in 1982.  We finished our last non conference home and home series with X in 1977. The last one with Marquette wrapped up in 1979.  Given the fact we share much in common with those schools and SLU is located in an area that they want to recruit players and students from, it is pretty obvious those three schools don't want to play SLU unless they are forced to by a conference or a tournament.   It just isn't going to happen with those three schools and just knowing that fact should make it obvious that we are not getting into the Big East anytime soon.

SLU should put their energy into trying to get series going with schools like Memphis, Cincy and Butler. 

They should try to keep the games against K-State annually or semi-annually.  That is a series of games that benefits both programs.  We get a strong P5 program on the schedule and K State keeps their profile strong in an area they consider their second most important for basketball recruiting.

JMM28 likes this

10 minutes ago, brianstl said:

They should try to keep the games against K-State annually or semi-annually.  That is a series of games that benefits both programs.  We get a strong P5 program on the schedule and K State keeps their profile strong in an area they consider their second most important for basketball recruiting.

Of course one could say winning that game would help keep k state from getting our kids, but dont you think its a double negative if we lose?  Maybe its just me. 

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Of course one could say winning that game would help keep k state from getting our kids, but dont you think its a double negative if we lose?  Maybe its just me. 

The results of the SLU-K State games since Weber arrived at KSU haven't changed the decision of a single recruit.  The kids that have gone to K State were never going to go SLU for one reason or another.

I think last year showed how valuable a semi-local rivalry can be.  If Butler wasn't a sellout it had to be close with a lot of the ticket revenue coming from Butler fans.  If we could get an alternating home and home with them and one of the other schools mentioned above (Marq, DePaul, X) so that we had one of them on our home schedule every year it would be great from a $$$; fans and RPI (or whatever they call it now) standpoint.

I don't care to see SPUMAC on our schedule. They are so much better than us so it would only ensure starting every year with a guaranteed loss!

32 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

On a related note, I’d much rather see a series vs Bradley than vs SIU. 

SIU is good from a longevity standpoint.  I can't remember ever not playing them, and I think it's good to keep that series going.  I wouldn't mind playing Bradley too - they can take the place of our the SMS game we used to play every year.