Greatest Top 50 College Basketball Coach

Okay, we are in the 'dog days'.  Noticed the last action on this board was hours ago.

Attached is a list of the top 50 coaches and it goes back to the turn of the previous century. Some I don't agree with. One Saint Louis coach was mentioned.

Before looking at the list, anyone care to guess? Hints: not someone who stood out. Also, you will have to be a big time Saint Louis basketball historian to know this.  😎

https://www.stadiumtalk.com/s/greatest-college-basketball-coaches-ab3764285711414e?utm_campaign=basketballcoaches-da555be5c09f45

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Okay, we are in the 'dog days'.  Noticed the last action on this board was hours ago.

Attached is a list of the top 50 coaches and it goes back to the turn of the previous century. Some I don't agree with. One Saint Louis coach was mentioned.

Before looking at the list, anyone care to guess? Hints: not someone who stood out. Also, you will have to be a big time Saint Louis basketball historian to know this.  😎

https://www.stadiumtalk.com/s/greatest-college-basketball-coaches-ab3764285711414e?utm_campaign=basketballcoaches-da555be5c09f45

Winning percentage only elevates Mark Few, and devalues Tom Izzo.  But interesting list thanks.

Take the 12-19 season out and Majerus makes this list.  Chalk another one up to the Situation.

A couple other coaches with Billiken connections.  Everyone knows we we were in talks with Pitino at a couple different times to take over the HC position.  He turned us down.  Joe B Hall as well was very closet o being the Billikens coach.  If we had made that hire our history would be much different.

12 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Take the 12-19 season out and Majerus makes this list.  Chalk another one up to the Situation.

A couple other coaches with Billiken connections.  Everyone knows we we were in talks with Pitino at a couple different times to take over the HC position.  He turned us down.  Joe B Hall as well was very closet o being the Billikens coach.  If we had made that hire our history would be much different.

I think Joe B actually accepted. Then Rupp promised him the UK job when he retired. 

I never heard about Pitino. Was talking to friend of mine from N. England, big Celtics fan, and he said the luster is starting to tarnish on Stevens. Next season could be do or done for him. Can you imagine the college offers that would pour in for his services? I could even see Duke gently nudge Coach K into retirement for Stevens taking over. 

Pitino was contacted in the 80s and while he was with the Celtics after Spoon left as part of that coaching search.  Biondi pulled out all the stops on that one, called in every favor and tried to make a big hire but came away with Romar.

Stevens will be fine.  Ainge I believe is more on the hot seat.  His long term plan never came to fruition of acquiring picks and assets to get a superstar.  Kyrie was a disaster and some of his other moves, Hayward injuries, Brown and Tatum not progressing enough have hurt his reputation.  I think the Celtics will be fine this year and contend for the East with over 50 wins.  Kyrie was a cancer, Hayward is back to 100%, Kemba Walker is a top 20 player in the league and Tatum & Brown should blossom without Kyrie there.  Celtics get 50 wins and Stevens is a genius again.  

22 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Pitino was contacted in the 80s and while he was with the Celtics after Spoon left as part of that coaching search.  Biondi pulled out all the stops on that one, called in every favor and tried to make a big hire but came away with Romar.

Stevens will be fine.  Ainge I believe is more on the hot seat.  His long term plan never came to fruition of acquiring picks and assets to get a superstar.  Kyrie was a disaster and some of his other moves, Hayward injuries, Brown and Tatum not progressing enough have hurt his reputation.  I think the Celtics will be fine this year and contend for the East with over 50 wins.  Kyrie was a cancer, Hayward is back to 100%, Kemba Walker is a top 20 player in the league and Tatum & Brown should blossom without Kyrie there.  Celtics get 50 wins and Stevens is a genius again.  

I never knew they were after Pitino back when they hired Romer. The interviews I knew of back then was Dave Bliss (at the time New Mexico), Kevin Stallings (at the time Ill State) and Mark Gottfried (this might have been a courtesy interview-he just started at Alabama).

Wasn't Valvano, when he was still at Iona, considered at one time back in the 70s?

Valvano was considered, but he was viewed as too much a salesman. He did have that brash east coast personality that some flyover folks don’t understand, and he talked a mile a minute.

he had success at Iona with Ruland, and he wanted to bump up into a higher profile. Outside of Larry Albus and Cheryl Levick, SLU has never had a barn burner of an AD who was basketball centric, had the full support of the administration, and had a budget that drove achievement.

We had such a stellar run with Randy Albrecht, Ron Coleman, and Ron Ekker, we would have been better off with an appliance salesman.

1 hour ago, Sheltiedave said:

Valvano was considered, but he was viewed as too much a salesman. He did have that brash east coast personality that some flyover folks don’t understand, and he talked a mile a minute.

he had success at Iona with Ruland, and he wanted to bump up into a higher profile. Outside of Larry Albus and Cheryl Levick, SLU has never had a barn burner of an AD who was basketball centric, had the full support of the administration, and had a budget that drove achievement.

We had such a stellar run with Randy Albrecht, Ron Coleman, and Ron Ekker, we would have been better off with an appliance salesman.

Wasn't Coleman a salesman for IBM before taking the HC job? I seem to recall reading that when he was hired. I was living in Ohio at  the time and think I read it in the Alumni magazine. 

If we hire local appliance guy will we be able to play on Sundays?

dlarry and White Pelican like this

Debbie Yow brought us out of the dark ages. 

SLU_Lax likes this

Probably both.   Doubt yow lost any sleep over the biondi "suggestion".

While i recognize yow definitelty was in charge of a time the program started moving forward.   She also headed up a season tix seating  realignment that displeased a few people.

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

While i recognize yow definitelty was in charge of a time the program started moving forward.   She also headed up a season tix seating  realignment that displeased a few people.

i remember getting shafted on the season ticket deal,

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

I’m just barely too young to remember since I went to games with my parents tickets. What was the deal/details?