PD Article on Mr. Bell

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

Every year, I get excited about the incoming freshmen.  Every year, they all end up disappointing me other than somewhere between 0 and 2 guys that end up standing out.

I know I'm drinking the blue koolaid, but this year's class has me more excited than others.  I just assumed that Bell and Diarra were both going to be stiffs early on that maybe turned into serviceable players by their Junior and Senior seasons.  Early on, my enthusiasm has been directed at Yuri, Jimerson and Hargrove.  Based upon the praise that Ford is throwing Bell's way, I have to add him now.

Also, it's amazing that Ford is describing Hargrove as possibly being an elite defender.  If that's true, and we throw a team out there of French, Hargrove, Goodwin, Thatch and let's say Yuri or Bell or whomever, the other teams are going to be worn out by the effort that will be required to score on us.

I'm excited about the incoming freshmen, but I'm tempering that excitement with the knowledge that they are freshmen and will go through growing pains.

The thing that I'm most excited about his how well the pieces in the freshmen class seem to fit together.  Potential elite passing point guard in Collins, potential elite shooter in Jimerson, potential elite defender / finisher in Hargrove, potential elite defensive big man / post presence in Bell and possibly Diarra.  There is no overlap of skill and the skills of each should complement the other pieces or help to hide their deficiencies.  That being said, again they are freshman and the type of possible synergy from their divergent skill sets will not be evident immediately. 

It is very encouraging to hear that "Ford said this incoming class is his highest-character group ever." as character issues set the program back during Coach Ford's first years.  It takes character to lose close to 100 pounds.  You cannot minimize that accomplishment.  Carrying out far less weight should make Bell a quicker player with more elevation in his jump.   There is reason to be excited in July for the upcoming season.  Excited yes, and realistic that not all of the incoming class will pan out. 

Old guy and GBL_Bills like this

13 hours ago, West Coast Billiken said:

It is very encouraging to hear that "Ford said this incoming class is his highest-character group ever." as character issues set the program back during Coach Ford's first years.  It takes character to lose close to 100 pounds.  You cannot minimize that accomplishment.  Carrying out far less weight should make Bell a quicker player with more elevation in his jump.   There is reason to be excited in July for the upcoming season.  Excited yes, and realistic that not all of the incoming class will pan out. 

Always great to have high character guys on the team.  I really think that Conklin & Cassity set the tone for our 3 year NCAA run being high character upperclassmen who the younger guys could emulate.