PD Article on Mr. Bell

Read the article, he sounds like a really motivated kid with a burning desire to honor his father's memory by making it in basketball. We are lucky we have him. Looking forward to seeing him play. He sounds like a football tackle who wants to be able to dunk regularly. More importantly, he is succeeding where most people fail, in losing weight and keeping it off.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Read the article, he sounds like a really motivated kid with a burning desire to honor his father's memory by making it in basketball. We are lucky we have him. Looking forward to seeing him play. He sounds like a football tackle who wants to be able to dunk regularly. More importantly, he is succeeding where most people fail, in losing weight and keeping it off.

I disagree with that; the article said that he likes football but loves basketball.  He chose hoops over the gridiron.  He resembles Hasahn French in that aspect.

The similarities between Bell and Kenny Brown are uncanny. Both lost 100 lbs after looking like college football prospects. Kenny lost over 150 lbs from his Sr year in HS to soph year at JUCO.

Pistol likes this

6 minutes ago, thetorch said:

The similarities between Bell and Kenny Brown are uncanny. Both lost 100 lbs after looking like college football prospects. Kenny lost over 150 lbs from his Sr year in HS to soph year at JUCO.

I hope that Mr. Bell is much better than Kenny Brown. 

5 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I hope that Mr. Bell is much better than Kenny Brown. 

Kenny is the best defensive big man the Billikens have had in the last 40 years.  With our history of stiff big men we should be lucky to get a Kenny Brown caliber player.

Pistol likes this

6 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

If you're getting Kenny Brown level recruits with late signees, you're doing pretty good. Kenny would put up 10 and 8 in the A-10.

I don't understand why my comments on Kenny got a bad post from you. We basically said the same thing. Decent big not great but serviceable. 

50 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Disagree 

My initial reaction was disagreement but once I thought about it, torch has a point. I love French but Grant Golden would not have had his way with KB patrolling the paint last year. His defense against Louisville and Cincinnati kept us in games we had no business being in.

KB's primary value was in his defense. He completely shut down opposing post players. A bad night for him was a merely frustrated opposing center trying to eke out an average night.

He didn't have good touch offensively but he was very effective overall. If Bell defends anywhere close to what KB did, then he's a very good signing.

Really cool piece. Inspiring stuff.

By the way, Ford said this incoming class is his highest-character group ever. I believe him. LOVE these kids. Keep up the hard work, fellas.

Every year, I get excited about the incoming freshmen.  Every year, they all end up disappointing me other than somewhere between 0 and 2 guys that end up standing out.

I know I'm drinking the blue koolaid, but this year's class has me more excited than others.  I just assumed that Bell and Diarra were both going to be stiffs early on that maybe turned into serviceable players by their Junior and Senior seasons.  Early on, my enthusiasm has been directed at Yuri, Jimerson and Hargrove.  Based upon the praise that Ford is throwing Bell's way, I have to add him now.

Also, it's amazing that Ford is describing Hargrove as possibly being an elite defender.  If that's true, and we throw a team out there of French, Hargrove, Goodwin, Thatch and let's say Yuri or Bell or whomever, the other teams are going to be worn out by the effort that will be required to score on us.

dennis_w likes this

Also, is BenFred our new beatwriter now?  I know that's not true, but why is he writing a bunch of SLU articles and Stu is writing none?  I normally defend STU based upon the argument that I've heard that the guys in charge don't allow room for SLU articles, but if BenFred is writing them, then why hasn't Stu been able to?

Billnation08 likes this