BenFred to the rescue

On 7/16/2019 at 3:18 PM, Billikenswin said:

I was fortunate enough to attend a recent practice and I agree with this analysis. Hargrove can run the court exceptionally well and he is a better outside shooter than most on this board give him credit for but I seriously doubt he will often be looking to post up in the low post like French or Bell. He definitely can score on the inside with quickness and jumping ability. I expect goodwin to post up more that Hargrove. He is getting better all the time at finding a spot on the low block and cleverly finishing at the rim. He will post up any smaller guards and possibly some of the talller ones because of his skill down low. Another observation, Yuri is a much better outside shooter than most on this board seem to believe. He is not a sniper like Jimerson, who in the practice I watched seemed to hit 70-80 percent on three pointers. That young man can really shoot but Yuri seemed to make a good percentage--maybe 40 percent from 3 and much better from the midrange. Go Bills

were you able to get a good look at Jacobs?  I know someone who went to a practice recently and said he was shocked at how well Jacobs could shoot it.  When he said this I was like oh okay cool.. But then on Instagram Thor just posted a happy birthday post to Jacobs(also happy birthday Jacobs) and called him the "best shooter and dunker in the A10".  We all know hes a great dunker, so calling him a great shooter too may not be that far off. 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, wgstl said:

were you able to get a good look at Jacobs?  I know someone who went to a practice recently and said he was shocked at how well Jacobs could shoot it.  When he said this I was like oh okay cool.. But then on Instagram Thor just posted a happy birthday post to Jacobs(also happy birthday Jacobs) and called him the "best shooter and dunker in the A10".  We all know hes a great dunker, so calling him a great shooter too may not be that far off. 

Last season on his radio show Coach Ford said when/if he got healthy Jacobs would be his backup point guard subbing in for Isabell. 

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Last season on his radio show Coach Ford said when/if he got healthy Jacobs would be his backup point guard subbing in for Isabell. 

I remember hearing that, but I dont think I ever heard anything about him being a decent to good shooter. 

42 minutes ago, wgstl said:

That was a Snapchat from last year of Ingvi and Jacobs in the picture with I'm assuming Ingvi's caption saying "Best shooter and dunker in the a10". He was calling himself the best shooter and Jacobs the best dunker in the a10. (Since it was a snap of both of them). That's how I think that was meant to come off.

3star_recruit and wgstl like this

23 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

That was a Snapchat from last year of Ingvi and Jacobs in the picture with I'm assuming Ingvi's caption saying "Best shooter and dunker in the a10". He was calling himself the best shooter and Jacobs the best dunker in the a10. (Since it was a snap of both of them). That's how I think that was meant to come off.

that totally makes sense. 

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

I remember hearing that, but I dont think I ever heard anything about him being a decent to good shooter. 

My note on him from senior year in HS, yeah I know HS, was that he hit 10 of 23 three pointers for 43% (low number of attempts) 51% overall from the field, and 87% from the line.

19 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

My note on him from senior year in HS, yeah I know HS, was that he hit 10 of 23 three pointers for 43% (low number of attempts) 51% overall from the field, and 87% from the line.

He's really a 6'2 straight line driver with a quick first step.  The upside of playing that way in the A-10 is limited. Needs to put more trust in his jump shot.  He's got a nice stroke.

41 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

He's really a 6'2 straight line driver with a quick first step.  The upside of playing that way in the A-10 is limited. Needs to put more trust in his jump shot.  He's got a nice stroke.

Jett, first of all, was really good.   At the same time, he benefitted from a more open lane with Rob Loe and Cody Ellis quite abit on the perimeter.   Had Jett played with Foreman and French, the lane would be less open and scoring would be tougher.  

My point?  We lacked true perimeter shooting last year to open the lanes.   And until Isabell started making shots from everywhere, there wasn't all that much room - especially in half court sets.   And then, when we played up tempo with Goodwin running the floor with confidence, the amount of room for others further increased.   This year, TF says we need to run more and take advantage of our athleticism.  I have heard this every year -- we will see.  But even it not, if Jimerson and Weaver knock down 3's and perimeter shots, there will be room for not only Thatch - but Jacobs as well.

HenryB likes this

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

Jett, first of all, was really good.   At the same time, he benefitted from a more open lane with Rob Loe and Cody Ellis quite abit on the perimeter.   Had Jett played with Foreman and French, the lane would be less open and scoring would be tougher.  

My point?  We lacked true perimeter shooting last year to open the lanes.   And until Isabell started making shots from everywhere, there wasn't all that much room - especially in half court sets.   And then, when we played up tempo with Goodwin running the floor with confidence, the amount of room for others further increased.   This year, TF says we need to run more and take advantage of our athleticism.  I have heard this every year -- we will see.  But even it not, if Jimerson and Weaver knock down 3's and perimeter shots, there will be room for not only Thatch - but Jacobs as well.

Jett also benefitted from bulk. Once he got those broad shoulders past you and those 205 lb running downhill, it was over. Jacobs will have to rely more on his jumper for his game to work at this level.

SWIC's summer session wraps up next week. This is public information. There is no need to panic.

He's basically missing the 8-week summer practice session at SLU. Yes, it'd be great to have him there already but he's two years older and more experienced than the incoming freshmen who need it the most. They'll get a few weeks off and return in about 5 weeks and then they get going with individual workouts. He'll be fine.

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

SWIC's summer session wraps up next week. This is public information. There is no need to panic.

He's basically missing the 8-week summer practice session at SLU. Yes, it'd be great to have him there already but he's two years older and more experienced than the incoming freshmen who need it the most. They'll get a few weeks off and return in about 5 weeks and then they get going with individual workouts. He'll be fine.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN HE'S NOT COMING UNTIL AUGUST!!!!!!!!! EVERYBODY PANIC!

7 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

And Yuri to make some eye opening assists! 

Just a heads, Ben Fred is writing an article on Jimmy Bell for Sunday's PD edition.  He mentioned this on Scoops with Danny Mac today.

He also mentioned the MLS effort is in going well and to not expect an announcement at the All Star game.  The MLS will announce our franchise in STL.  BenFred also said the sponsorship issues are in good shape.

TheDude likes this