BenFred to the rescue

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I hope Hargrove proves you wrong.

No. Hargrove will hopefully be a killer on the inside (w/ feeds from the great Yuri). Bess turned himself into a 3 pt threat and more. He was always good on D. Hargrove could be but they're two different players. 

33 minutes ago, slu72 said:

No. Hargrove will hopefully be a killer on the inside (w/ feeds from the great Yuri). Bess turned himself into a 3 pt threat and more. He was always good on D. Hargrove could be but they're two different players. 

On the inside? TH isn’t about to post college players up. Unless I’m mistaken...

41 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Hargove is 6’7” and cannot post up?

Exactly. I was a little dumbfounded by Little Bill's post. Is it possible he mistook Hargrove for Yuri?  I haven't heard much about Hargrove being a sniper, so I figure he'll be getting most of his points in transition or somewhere near the basket.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Exactly. I was a little dumbfounded by Little Bill's post. Is it possible he mistook Hargrove for Yuri?  I haven't heard much about Hargrove being a sniper, so I figure he'll be getting most of his points in transition or somewhere near the basket.

Hargrove posts up occasionally against other bigs but he prefers to take his man off the dribble or shoot jump shots.

Hargrove is a face up jump shooter/slasher, and my impression was he is a half step faster than Bess, with major hops.

Both Bess and he are major tough guys coming into college, and I expect Hargrove to be better than Bess by his senior year. Bess had injuries that dogged him and set his ceiling in college.

10 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

Hargrove is a face up jump shooter/slasher, and my impression was he is a half step faster than Bess, with major hops.

Both Bess and he are major tough guys coming into college, and I expect Hargrove to be better than Bess by his senior year. Bess had injuries that dogged him and set his ceiling in college.

Hargrove is more raw as an offensive basketball player coming out of high school than Bess was. He still relies a lot on athleticism rather than making simple basketball plays. Learning that delicate dance is easier said than done.

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Hargrove posts up occasionally against other bigs but he prefers to take his man off the dribble or shoot jump shots.

Good to know.  Thanks.  Now that you mention, I do recall similar talk around the time he committed.  

No doubt we are still in need in help at the 4 and 5.   Hopefully, our 2 big, seven footers will develop and fill this role we need as we have shoes of Foreman to fill.    With that said, I am not counting on either of our Freshman centers to do anything more than fill back up minutes this, their first year.  And yes, we may very likely have to run a 4 guard offensive with French in the middle.   The problem, though, is that French has sure had a lot of fouls called on him these past 2 years.   Same with Foreman.  Frankly, I am not sure how long French will last before picking up his 5th foul if he is surrounded by 4 guards.   French will certainly have match up issues guarding the other team's 5 rather than the other team's 4.  And these issues will result in eve more fouls.  And if the Freshman bigs are not ready this coming year, then we will have no choice but to insert Hargrove not only with French but as a replacement for French.

Even if Hargrove is less comfortable at playing with his back to the basket, this team will need him to do this.  Highs school is over and using athleticism to beat your man will only get tougher.   Time will tell if Hargrove is the next offensive 3/Bess/score off the dribble type player or if will need to be more of a 4/back to basket/post up type player at the D1 level.  With that said, our team is more in need of the latter than the former.

Old guy likes this

18 hours ago, slu72 said:

#GoSeeTheKidsPlay

Hargrove is definitely athletic, but he also seems to have skills and appears to be coachable.  That all points to our staff being able to quickly be able to teach him how to play with his back to the basket.  To me, the only concern early on is him putting on muscle to be able to handle the contact that comes with posting up.

6 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Hargrove is definitely athletic, but he also seems to have skills and appears to be coachable.  That all points to our staff being able to quickly be able to teach him how to play with his back to the basket.  To me, the only concern early on is him putting on muscle to be able to handle the contact that comes with posting up.

Hargrove is not going to be a back to the basket player. He will go over his man or around his man. He can slash and jump. Those are his strengths and they will play at this level. No need to reinvent the wheel, just let it roll.

brianstl and Littlebill like this

49 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I can't think of any player that lacked a back to the basket game in high school that became good at posting up in college. Pros yes, college no.

4 minutes ago, Billikenswin said:

Yuri seemed to make a good percentage--maybe 40 percent from 3 and much better from the midrange.

I'm honestly asking because I have no idea.  Is 40% from 3 in practice good / decent?  Does that translate into being a decent shooter in a game?  It seems that your percentage would drop significantly under in game situations versus practice because you actually have someone playing defense, you have to get the shot off quicker, and may have tired legs as well.

For example, even if Jimerson is hitting 70-80% of his 3 pointers in practice, you wouldn't expect anywhere near that % in a game.  Jimerson hitting 40% (or slightly better than 1/2 of his practice %) would seem realistic.  Similarly, if Yuri's 40% in practice turned into say 22% during games (slightly better than 1/2 his practice %), that's not so good.  For reference, Yuri shot 22.3% from 3pt land last year for St. Marys and 26% career (according to STLToday stats).

20 minutes ago, Billikenswin said:

I was fortunate enough to attend a recent practice and I agree with this analysis. Hargrove can run the court exceptionally well and he is a better outside shooter than most on this board give him credit for but I seriously doubt he will often be looking to post up in the low post like French or Bell. He definitely can score on the inside with quickness and jumping ability. I expect goodwin to post up more that Hargrove. He is getting better all the time at finding a spot on the low block and cleverly finishing at the rim. He will post up any smaller guards and possibly some of the talller ones because of his skill down low. Another observation, Yuri is a much better outside shooter than most on this board seem to believe. He is not a sniper like Jimerson, who in the practice I watched seemed to hit 70-80 percent on three pointers. That young man can really shoot but Yuri seemed to make a good percentage--maybe 40 percent from 3 and much better from the midrange. Go Bills

If those same ratios hold up in games and Jimerson is the 45% shooter we think he is then Yuri is about 25%.

12 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If those same ratios hold up in games and Jimerson is the 45% shooter we think he is then Yuri is about 25%.

You may be right but I can say Yuri looked very comfortable shooting the ball and I think he has the potential to be a much better 3 point shooter than 25 percent. To state the obvious--we won't know until well in to the season whether he will be an effective shooter in games.

3 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

Hargrove is not going to be a back to the basket player. He will go over his man or around his man. He can slash and jump. Those are his strengths and they will play at this level. No need to reinvent the wheel, just let it roll.

Plus, with the great assists he'll be getting from Yuri..... Jam time!