Maryville....

i suggest you get in touch with all your friends on the BoT for Saint Louis University and discuss.   they are the problem and have very little interest in our athletic department

Roy, I have no contacts in the BOT, but looking at their actions, they appear to be much more interested in academic and research development than in athletics. I also believe they are very concerned about the University finances. Now, it is true that the basketball team appearance at the Dance last year provided increased income to the program. Should we have a repeat appearance at the Dance in the coming season, the athletic department could make the case that it, or at least the basketball program, is a money making area of the University that deserves more attention. Until then I am not sure what can be done to present a case for increased development funding for the athletic area, or for the basketball program, to the BOT.

The truth of the matter regarding Maryville is that they can spend their money any way they want and it will really not be a concern to the BOT.

17 hours ago, Billy Ken said:

SLU soccer field 2019 improvements....

Maryville also adding D1 hockey by 2022. Maryville. 

2583F0B5-766F-4123-9D90-3F249889B802.png

I drove through Maryville's campus just yesterday. Its a nice campus with a lot of renovations going on. 

That being said, SLU is building a new engineering building and a new hospital. While it would be nice to have nicer sports facilities, you can't really blame a university that is putting money into a new engineering building and a new hospital... Those should be the priorities of a university.

AGB91 likes this

27 minutes ago, disgruntledbilliken said:

I drove through Maryville's campus just yesterday. Its a nice campus with a lot of renovations going on. 

That being said, SLU is building a new engineering building and a new hospital. While it would be nice to have nicer sports facilities, you can't really blame a university that is putting money into a new engineering building and a new hospital... Those should be the priorities of a university.

the new hospital is being funded by SSM not Saint Louis University.

26 minutes ago, wgstl said:

im still trying to figure out why we're talking about Maryville

somehow Billy Ken believes it verifies Chris May is evil and the root of everything wrong at SLU

I reject BillyKen’s position and his one themed explanation as to the reason there is pain and suffering in the world.

That being said, it seems other seemingly smaller academic institutions around have been able to market themselves in the athletic arena recently. It does raise one’s eyebrows Maryville has seen it advantageous to pay for naming rights to the new Blues training facility, and will have a D1 hockey team. Will they have a women’s team as well?

That school is growing by leaps and bounds. It seems to me they ‘get it’ how a successful sports program is part of a school’s campus life. 

I follow this site religiously and know of potential pending budget cuts, and construction of new buildings for academic purposes is part of the mission of the school. But improving the teams and supporting the student athletes who work hard at their sports while being full time students is important too.

Sports is marketing plain and simple.

2 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

I reject BillyKen’s position and his one themed explanation as to the reason there is pain and suffering in the world.

That being said, it seems other seemingly smaller academic institutions around have been able to market themselves in the athletic arena recently. It does raise one’s eyebrows Maryville has seen it advantageous to pay for naming rights to the new Blues training facility, and will have a D1 hockey team. Will they have a women’s team as well?

That school is growing by leaps and bounds. It seems to me they ‘get it’ how a successful sports program is part of a school’s campus life. 

I follow this site religiously and know of potential pending budget cuts, and construction of new buildings for academic purposes is part of the mission of the school. But improving the teams and supporting the student athletes who work hard at their sports while being full time students is important too.

not arguing with any of this booster.   all i am saying is the problem is above may.   our BoT has very little interest in upgrading our athletic dept if it requires an investment.   until the BoT has the vision to spend the needed funds to upgrade athletics across the board, we are what we are and there is not much Chris May can do about it.  

Maryville's growth has primarily come from its online program, which has minimal expenses and much higher margins compared to traditional classroom programs. The school has invested heavily in its online presence in the past few years as they try to make it a national brand; commercials even play on local TV here in Cincinnati.

It's part of the Maryville 2022 plan, which seeks an overall enrollment of 10,000 by 2022 (about 60-65% of which will be online, if current levels hold). A big capital campaign is part of this strategic plan. They want to be a top 100 national university (seriously, it's in the plan) and while that ranking is probably not going to happen, the point is that they don't want to be seen as a suburban commuter school anymore.

If they're anything like Liberty, they're profiting from the online school and putting a lot of the money into building a more attractive campus. Granted, there's no way Maryville is as shady as Liberty, and the online enrollment numbers - and revenues generated from the program - are nowhere close. Still, the strategy works. Schools that do it take a huge reputational risk, though, because online college program standards vary widely and wildly.

tl;dr - Maryville and its strategy are absolutely nothing like SLU. I know the OP is a troll and this thread is a trolling attempt, but just in case anyone reasonable thinks there's a discussion to be had here, there isn't.

Compton and Zink like this

On 7/8/2019 at 5:00 PM, courtside said:

It could be two facilities, one indoor, one outdoor, next to each other. This is much preferred and more ideal. Or, it could be outdoor courts that are covered by a bubble part of the year.  For example, other cold weather Midwest schools such as Notre Dame, Northwestern, (Power 5 schools and programs) have about 15 outdoor courts and 6 indoor courts, separate facilities next to each other.  Scoreboard, seating, locker rooms, training room, video, etc...are things to consider as well. 

I would think the minimum would be build outdoor courts with bubble for bad weather. 

Currently SLU plays at Dwight Davis Tennis Center in Forest Park which has 19 outdoor courts including a stadium court. It does not have the other mentioned amenities. SLU’s indoor weather site is Sunset Tennis Center which has 7 indoor courts, and, is not close to campus. (8 total)

1 hour ago, Billikenbooster said:

IMaryville has seen it advantageous to pay for naming rights to the new Blues training facility, and will have a D1 hockey team. Will they have a women’s team as well?

No and no.

The Blues new training facility (4 sheets of ice) is under construction in Maryland Heights. 1 of the 4 sheets is supposed to be an outdoor rink.  Also, the 4th sheet is supposed to be for a expansion USHL team (Junior hockey - roughly kids aged 17-20 who are playing to be noticed by professional scouts and college scouts) and I am not sure if it also is being constructed or if it is "on hold" still.  USHL teams are required to have facilities which can seat 12,000 or more people.   This Blues training facility will be the new home to the reigning Stanley Cup Champions St. Louis Blues as well as the local youth hockey teams (mostly St. Louis youngsters) known as the AAA Blues (roughly ages 12-18).  This facility will also be the new home of the Lindenwood men's and women's programs   The Lindenwood's women's program (been around about 5 years) is a true D-1 hockey team in part because there are not that many women's collegiate hockey teams.   The Lindenwood's men's team has been around for years, has won many national championships under head coach/former St. Louis Blue Rick Zombo but they play in the ACHA (Club Hockey) which within the ACHA has a D1, DII and DIII level.   Lindenwood's men's team is in the highest level, D1 level of ACHA hockey.   For Lindenwood to increase to a true D1 college hockey program (only 60 such schools exist), the annual  budget will need to be increased to at least $10 million.   They currently have a budget closer to $3 - $4 million.   

Maryville added an college hockey team in 2018 to play ACHA on the D2 level - an entire level below Lindenwood hockey.   Also, Maryville paid $1 million to have the naming rights to the other new ice rink facility also being built but in Chesterfield Valley. - 2 sheets of ice.  This facility ($21 million cost) is being paid for by the local youth hockey program (Chesterfield Falcons - ages 3 to 18), by the transportation tax and by private funding - including Maryville's $1 million. 

SLU also has a hockey team which plays in the ACHA 

5 hours ago, Billikenbooster said:

holy sh*t batman they are having a D1 hockey team and in theory could compete in The Frozen Four?

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

This is the only thing that bothers me

Same here but how will that work I wonder?  If you are a local kid and have the chance to play D1 hockey, would you really chose Maryville over some of the other options?  Riggs from Barstool played D1 from here and was able to go to Harvard because being on a team helped him get in.  

I don't know much about Maryville and I live probably 10 minutes away.  Based on what Pistol said it will be a big online school so not really much of a college campus?  How many kids live on campus? 

I just can't imagine if I was good enough to play D1 college hockey I would ever pick Maryville.  So that means they would probably be getting lowest quality D1 players which means while they may draw originally, I can't see it lasting.  I like the ambition but it seems like it is going to be costly to travel due to no D1 teams really that close and won't be a huge hit.  

7 hours ago, Compton said:

Guessing you meant to say 1,200 and not 12,000. 

No. Actually most rinks hold 4,000 to 5,000.  A few hold only 3,500 on the low end and a few hold 8,500 and 9,500 on the high end. 7,500 capacity is the goal though talk of up to 12,000 had been floated.  Even 5,000 would be great. 

15 hours ago, almaman said:

holy sh*t batman they are having a D1 hockey team and in theory could compete in The Frozen Four?

No.  Maryville will be DII of the ACHA (club hockey)   Other schools (Lindenwood) are DI of ACHA (club hockey). SLU already has an ACHA hockey team and  doesn’t need to “catch up” to Maryland.

Frozen Four is for DI of NCAA hockey. No comparison between ACHA hockey and NCAA hockey. 

10 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

No. Actually most rinks hold 4,000 to 5,000.  A few hold only 3,500 on the low end and a few hold 8,500 and 9,500 on the high end. 7,500 capacity is the goal though talk of up to 12,000 had been floated.  Even 5,000 would be great. 

Oh. You'd said that "USHL teams are required to have facilities which can seat 12,000 or more people." That's clearly not the case as not a single team plays in a 12,000 seat facility. 

TheA_Bomb likes this