TF interview with Frank

1 hour ago, Sheltiedave said:

They all boil down to point guard play.

I don’t see Goodwin morphing from a delivering the groceries point guard into an incandescent point guard. He will improve incrementally, but we had a former walk-on do pg duty his freshman year, and Ford did his best forcing Isabell into a failed pg experience last year.

Who knows, this may be the year Ford hands him the keys, but I see a four star guard who did not outright get total pg duties his first two years because his other stat stuffing abilities were the stellar traits, and his pg traits were mortal.

Goodwin does not take good lanes on fast breaks. Oftimes he would get too tight to the basket before passing, or pass as the defender was shifting over, or pass and run over the defender. He learned the bull rush break in high school, but it doesn’t work as well in college.

Remember when @TFord and TRavs stated that Ford PROMISED Goodwin the starting PG job if he came to SLU.  Just show up son, and it's yours.  Ah, those were the Glory Days weren't they.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

They all boil down to point guard play.

I don’t see Goodwin morphing from a delivering the groceries point guard into an incandescent point guard. He will improve incrementally, but we had a former walk-on do pg duty his freshman year, and Ford did his best forcing Isabell into a failed pg experience last year.

Who knows, this may be the year Ford hands him the keys, but I see a four star guard who did not outright get total pg duties his first two years because his other stat stuffing abilities were the stellar traits, and his pg traits were mortal.

Goodwin does not take good lanes on fast breaks. Oftimes he would get too tight to the basket before passing, or pass as the defender was shifting over, or pass and run over the defender. He learned the bull rush break in high school, but it doesn’t work as well in college.

The trail man pass is a rhythm pass, and the timing takes many hours to perfect. While we may get there, it may take getting deep into conference play before it happens.

i do see us taking shots earlier in the time clock if we start creeping up past the 0.92 to 0.96 ppp. Drop the turnover margin, improve the ft and shot %s, and we can start jacking the shots.

Jordan was never a true PG in high school.  At SLU, he has been OK with his dribbling and passing skills but he has been off the charts with rebounding, athletic ability and general skills while providing leadship and scoring.  Not fully sure I understand what delivering the groceries means but think I do.  You are quite complimentary of Jordan as a basketball player for us, but just not as our PG for the next 2 years.   

My favorite SLU PG was H Waldman - in large part b/c of his running the fast break and slinging long bounce passes to Claggs and Highmark.   Without them knocking down the shots, H doesn't look as good.   After him, hard to choose between Maquee Perry and Kwamain MItchell - but leaning toward Mitchell because he was more recent and our team had far greater success.  Both, though, played with high quality teammates who could and did finish.  Both had incredible dribble penetration, both could break ankles with a hesitation/shift and both made their teammates around them much better - though it should be noted - neither were much of an outside shooter as a Freshman - but both became outside threats during their later years.

As to Jordan, I don't see the vision, play-making skills and no-look passing of H.   I also don't see the dribble penetration and hesitation/blow past ability of Perry and Mitchell.   I also don't see/expect equal perimeter shooting out of Jordan as a JR and SR as we saw with H, Perry and Mitchell as a JR and SR. If that is what is needed to be an incandescent point guard, then I am following.  With that said, we have had very little perimeter shooting this past year.  And as many mistakes and turnovers were made by Jordan, even more were made by Isabell, French and Foreman.  And who have been our great finishers these past 2 years?  And as limited as Jordan was at perimeter shooting sufficient to make defenses play us honestly and not to fall back into a zone, his teammates provide him with little help. Unfortunately, Isabell preferred to dribble and make his own shots and Thatch chose not to shoot quite abit.  But when Isabell cut down on his mistakes and started making his shots, and when the rest of the team also upped their game, our team started winning, looked good and were hard to beat.   I sure liked those groceries being delivered.   

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Remember when @TFord and TRavs stated that Ford PROMISED Goodwin the starting PG job if he came to SLU.  Just show up son, and it's yours.  Ah, those were the Glory Days weren't they.

There was a lot of people saying that, despite Goodwin himself saying he wasn't promised anything

I listened to Coach Ford being interviewed by Frank and Martin this morning.  They were all at the MAC for a basketball kickoff luncheon.  I don't know how to link the interview but it was in the 10:45-11:15 timeframe on AM 590.

A few items I recall (TF did not bring up any players on his own, but did respond to questions about GJ, YC and JP)  Also, he gave a politically correct answer to a question about CAG  (We wish him nothing but the best and are always here for him)

He compared GJ to the best shooters he has ever had and said he is actually the best since he can get his shot up so quickly.  Compared him to JJ Redick as far as basketball skills.

Said YC is an extremely hard worker who will get lots of playing time,even if he doesn't start.  (I think SLU 72 phoned this question in)

He described JP as a natural scorer but said he is still in the catch-up mode due to not being with the program during the summer.  TF also implied that Perkins has some improvement needed on defense'

Replying to a question from Frank about him ending his career at SLU,  TF seemed to go well beyond the politically correct answer.  He talked about how his family loved STL, where they lived, the friends they have made, the schools and the restaurants along with the love of sports throughout the entire STL community, referring to St Louis as a great sports town.  He said they even use that in a video they show to recruits.  He described the metro area as a great recruiting area and said he wants to continue bringing in local players as he has in the past few years, but pointed out that next year is a problem due to the lack of scholarships.  In short, it seemed like it would take a big-time program in a metro area to ever lure him from SLU

1 hour ago, bauman said:

He compared GJ to the best shooters he has ever had and said he is actually the best since he can get his shot up so quickly.  Compared him to JJ Redick as far as basketball skills.

towel tyme

Littlebill and SLU_Nick like this

2 hours ago, bauman said:

A few items I recall (TF did not bring up any players on his own, but did respond to questions about GJ, YC and JP)  Also, he gave a politically correct answer to a question about CAG  (We wish him nothing but the best and are always here for him)

I'm not even sure this can be considered a politically correct answer at this point, I think it is literally the only answer.

Regardless on where you fall on the spectrum concerning this issue, all the way from "Kid is totally soft and he deserves nothing" to "we should support college athletes in literally every little emotional whim they have," this young man is clearly on a self-destructive spiral and if you don't hope he figures it out you're pretty heartless. 

With the benefit of hindsight, I am OVERJOYED he's not in our locker room anymore, but I hate to see a kid piss away so much God given talent and reject all adult guidance at every turn over seemingly nothing. 

rgbilliken likes this

2 hours ago, bauman said:

I listened to Coach Ford being interviewed by Frank and Martin this morning.  They were all at the MAC for a basketball kickoff luncheon.  I don't know how to link the interview but it was in the 10:45-11:15 timeframe on AM 590.

I believe this is the link to the interview. Segment 5 - Travis Ford. 

billikenbill likes this

4 hours ago, bauman said:

I’m beginning to think Ford’s praise of Jimerson is a lot more than coach speak.

II think Ford truly believes he is going to be a star. 

The more I hear him speak about him the more excited I get.

we've got Yurimania and.....Jimstrodinary 

40 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I’m beginning to think Ford’s praise of Jimerson is a lot more than coach speak.

II think Ford truly believes he is going to be a star. 

The more I hear him speak about him the more excited I get.

we've got Yurimania and.....Jimstrodinary 

If he really is that good of a shooter how do you keep him off the floor?

6 hours ago, dlarry said:

I am thinking the exact same, his praise for the kid has been consistent and has gone well beyond vague platitudes. I was really excited for the kid and the fit on paper and the praise since he got on campus has me even more so.

6 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

I am thinking the exact same, his praise for the kid has been consistent and has gone well beyond vague platitudes. I was really excited for the kid and the fit on paper and the praise since he got on campus has me even more so.

Is he going to be the one to break the SLU curse on shooters? I think so.

cant wait for Friday. 

Our best free throw shooter on the team this year that played last year is Hankton, followed by Thatch. 

Come crunch time this year, Perkins, Collins and Jimmmerson better be ready to close out every game, because last year it was totally Bess and Isabell from the line. They were 80% and 70%, Hankton and Thatch were 75 and 60%.

Goodwin (at 50% ft) cannot handle the ball in crunch time. French can’t be on the court at 35%. We will be forced into playing beautiful ball, because we can’t play a winning grinding half court game with horrendous free throw shooting. Last year was a total aberration because we had the best defender in the conference.

If Goodwin bumps up to 70%, and French to 65%, and we can score from outside, we will be sitting pretty.

10 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

Our best free throw shooter on the team this year that played last year is Hankton, followed by Thatch. 

Come crunch time this year, Perkins, Collins and Jimmmerson better be ready to close out every game, because last year it was totally Bess and Isabell from the line. They were 80% and 70%, Hankton and Thatch were 75 and 60%.

Goodwin (at 50% ft) cannot handle the ball in crunch time. French can’t be on the court at 35%. We will be forced into playing beautiful ball, because we can’t play a winning grinding half court game with horrendous free throw shooting. Last year was a total aberration because we had the best defender in the conference.

If Goodwin bumps up to 70%, and French to 65%, and we can score from outside, we will be sitting pretty.

I'm viewing the first 12 games as practice.  As it stands, our leaders are our worst shooters.  The first two months is about relinquishing some of that leadership to better offensive players, especially at the end of games.

almaman likes this

16 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'm viewing the first 12 games as practice.  As it stands, our leaders are our worst shooters.  The first two months is about relinquishing some of that leadership to better offensive players, especially at the end of games.

The tough part will be to see if we actually have better offensive players. Shooting is definitely important, but creating your own shot in the second half of college basketball games isn't easy. It will be nice to have better scorers, but it's easier said than done. It looks like right now we might have one other person on the team that will be able to create their own shot this year outside of French and Goodwin.

Hopefully adding all of these shooters will give French and Goodwin more space to make plays. Also hope that both spent time improving their shooting.

Between French and Goodwin, last year they went a combined 109/247 from the charity stripe. That is 44.1%.

If they hit at 65% and 75%, we would have averaged an extra 2.1 points a game, less points scored from offensive rebound score possessions from the bricks.

This year they are going to be upgraded to the first and second offensive choices, rather than the third and fourth options. If they don’t markedly improve from the line, every team in the country will be coached to foul foul foul them. Can’t get any better defense than giving up a forecasted 0.44 point per possession rate.

This is the driving force for Ford to rapidly develop a beautiful game, bring Collins in rapidly, and get Hargrove, Jimmmmerson, and Perkins up to speed before conference play. We have little choice but to push offense development over what normally would be defensive rotation sets.

32 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

Between French and Goodwin, last year they went a combined 109/247 from the charity stripe. That is 44.1%.

If they hit at 65% and 75%, we would have averaged an extra 2.1 points a game, less points scored from offensive rebound score possessions from the bricks.

This year they are going to be upgraded to the first and second offensive choices, rather than the third and fourth options. If they don’t markedly improve from the line, every team in the country will be coached to foul foul foul them. Can’t get any better defense than giving up a forecasted 0.44 point per possession rate.

This is the driving force for Ford to rapidly develop a beautiful game, bring Collins in rapidly, and get Hargrove, Jimmmmerson, and Perkins up to speed before conference play. We have little choice but to push offense development over what normally would be defensive rotation sets.

If they miss one less bunny a game, we average an extra 4.  Those two missed way too many easy looks inside 5 feet last season.  That should be an easier problem to fix than the FT shooting.

13 minutes ago, brianstl said:

If they miss one less bunny a game, we average an extra 4.  Those two missed way too many easy looks inside 5 feet last season.  That should be an easier problem to fix than the FT shooting.

I know French and Goodwin missed some bunnies last year but I didn't realize they missed 72 of them 🙂

brianstl likes this