TF interview with Frank

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Old guy said:

This may mean many things. If he is really thinking about using10-11 guys during the whole season, that means to me he that he may be thinking of changing the play style to fit the players he is using. The goal of this could be to confuse the opposing team time and again during a game. This may get pretty complex, but if he can do it with this team it would drive the opposition totally bonkers simply because the way we hit them or defend against them changes to a greater or a lesser degree many times during the game.

This may not be as far fetched as it sounds. Ford has done this already in prior years, just changing play style in ways that totally confused the opposition. Of course, when you play with a depleted team with no bench and a number of injured players, you cannot push these changes too far. Maybe he thinks this team has what it takes to try and see if this fluid changing style of play works? I really do not know, and any number of you will most likely disagree with what I just said, but I find it interesting that he is saying what he is saying during an interview.

That was the most painful way of you saying our multimillionaire salaried coach might actually "coach" during a basketball game. 

With this squad I can see where a 10-11 man rotation may be an option in the early going. The two players that will garner the most minutes, and need to be on the floor a lot, are JGood and French. Some may say Thatch should be included but until he shows some improvement on offense he's back in the pack of 9-10 players that are kind of unknowns at this point. No doubt for or FR there's going to be a learning curve as they adjust to the speed and physicality of D1 hoops. The two players we tend to overlook are Jacobs and Hankton. Should we? Jacobs was thought to be a really good get for Ford, and Hankton showed some flashes of being a possible stretch big. Jacobs could be a valuable backup for JGood, and Hankton might be needed to help take heat off of French. Out of necessity, ie French will need breathers and there's bound to be games where his foul count must be protected, Bell and Diara may be called on for meaningful minutes. As for the rest of the team, I think we all felt the FR and Weaver would get their avg of 15mpg. So, I think this big of a rotation is not too far fetched and not just coach speak. 

CBFan likes this

2 minutes ago, slu72 said:

As for the rest of the team, I think we all felt the FR and Weaver would get their avg of 15mpg. So, I think this big of a rotation is not too far fetched and not just coach speak. 

Am I the only that is thinking Weaver is going to be more like a 25+ mpg guy for us?

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

There was no qualifier on the interview. It is for anyone interested. I was. 

but if you're sitting here trying to get any sort of indication of what Travis Ford is going to do with his lineups out of a marketing interview with Skinny DannyMac, you're wasting your time. Beyond the fact that it's great to have coach on a cardinals broadcast this interview was aimed at the kind of people that flooded BPV for the NCAA game.

RUBillsFan and QUAILMAN like this

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

but if you're sitting here trying to get any sort of indication of what Travis Ford is going to do with his lineups out of a marketing interview with Skinny DannyMac, you're wasting your time. Beyond the fact that it's great to have coach on a cardinals broadcast this interview was aimed at the kind of people that flooded BPV for the NCAA game.

Okay criticize me for wasting my time with Coach Ford. Fine. You are too concerned  downplaying his interview. Just skip forward next time. 

3 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Okay criticize me for wasting my time with Coach Ford. Fine. You are too concerned  downplaying his interview. Just skip forward next time. 

I enjoyed the interview for what it was marketing. I don’t think you(hoosierpal) understand that I was using you in my post as you(you all). 

I think we will see a larger rotation this year but Ford has to say that.

He can’t say “I’m only going to play 7 guys this year.” As soon as he says that he runs the risk of the other guys shutting it down.

why bust your ass if you know you aren’t getting any PT?

As for Skinny DannyMac I now call him Skeletor!

39 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

For me the only given, as said by @slu72 is that Goodwin and French will get heavy minutes, with Thatch a tad under. All the remaining minutes TBD. 

I agree with that being the certainties, Goodwin, Thatch, and French all being like 30-35 mpg. If we assume that those are the certainties (I know some on the board are less certain about Thatch) and they are playing that heavy of minutes, I see the need for a shooter who can guard the point and be a secondary ball handler (assuming Goodwin is still playing this quasi pg position) which currently appears to be Weaver (similar to Isabell a year ago despite being a different player). With us signing Lewis and then Weaver, it seemed clear the coaching staff wanted a college ready combo guard who can shoot it. I suppose if you are really high on Yuri, you would certainly have him cutting into Weaver's minutes, I'm just not as sold on a lineup that would include those 4 heading into the season. So put me on the over of 15 mpg referenced in that post for Weaver. And then I do think someone is going to need to fill that Bess spot and be over 20 mpg as kind of a wing scorer. I don't doubt that we will see more guys play, but I have a tough time seeing the rest of the roster all playing like 15 mpg. Maybe it happens, but again I have a tough time seeing that many guys playing around 15 mpg when the other 3 positions on the floor will primarily be filled by Goodwin, Thatch, and French. And I do think we see more guys play, I just don't see the distribution being so equal for 4-11. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out, back to you Steve.

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

I agree with that being the certainties, Goodwin, Thatch, and French all being like 30-35 mpg. If we assume that those are the certainties (I know some on the board are less certain about Thatch) and they are playing that heavy of minutes, I see the need for a shooter who can guard the point and be a secondary ball handler (assuming Goodwin is still playing this quasi pg position) which currently appears to be Weaver (similar to Isabell a year ago despite being a different player). With us signing Lewis and then Weaver, it seemed clear the coaching staff wanted a college ready combo guard who can shoot it. I suppose if you are really high on Yuri, you would certainly have him cutting into Weaver's minutes, I'm just not as sold on a lineup that would include those 4 heading into the season. So put me on the over of 15 mpg referenced in that post for Weaver. And then I do think someone is going to need to fill that Bess spot and be over 20 mpg as kind of a wing scorer. I don't doubt that we will see more guys play, but I have a tough time seeing the rest of the roster all playing like 15 mpg. Maybe it happens, but again I have a tough time seeing that many guys playing around 15 mpg when the other 3 positions on the floor will primarily be filled by Goodwin, Thatch, and French. And I do think we see more guys play, I just don't see the distribution being so equal for 4-11. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out, back to you Steve.

I do believe that Ford wants to play faster. His best chance at doing that is playing more guys, having good decision making at the point at all times, pressuring the other teams guards and wearing out the the other team.

Goodwin playing 35 min and Thatch playing 30 min does not jibe with those objectives. That just puts in a place where we're only playing 4 guards again. Goodwin in particular will have to give up minutes to get Yuri and Weaver on the floor. Thatch only played 18 min a game so even 25 min would be an upgrade for him.

Zink likes this

2 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Am I the only that is thinking Weaver is going to be more like a 25+ mpg guy for us?

You are not. And count me in the camp along with the previous poster that Ford is going to play faster (and I believe him when he says we'll go deeper in the rotation this year, even if that isn't all the way to 11).

Weaver is the key to playing fast. He can handle it and he loves to fire it up from anywhere at any time. I honestly think people keep forgetting about him when they post here. I wouldn't be surprised to see 30 MPG from him or even more. He also allows Goodwin to play off the ball more and Collins time to get up to speed.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

You are not. And count me in the camp along with the previous poster that Ford is going to play faster (and I believe him when he says we'll go deeper in the rotation this year, even if that isn't all the way to 11).

Weaver is the key to playing fast. He can handle it and he loves to fire it up from anywhere at any time. I honestly think people keep forgetting about him when they post here. I wouldn't be surprised to see 30 MPG from him or even more. He also allows Goodwin to play off the ball more and Collins time to get up to speed.

Jacobs is also supposed to be more of a transition scorer than a catch and shoot kind of guy...... 

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

I do believe that Ford wants to play faster. His best chance at doing that is playing more guys, having good decision making at the point at all times, pressuring the other teams guards and wearing out the the other team.

I know every coach wants to play fast, but how fast should we expect this team to play? Since Ford has taken over we have been 331st in adjusted tempo in 2017, 337th in 2018, and 239th last year (Oklahoma State was 334th in 2016 and 238th in 2015), so with depth being an issue his teams have not played fast (to give the full picture from his time at Oklahoma State since I found it easy to search here is his entirety at Oklahoma State - 2016 - 334th, 2015 - 238th, 2014 - 59th, 2013 - 104th, 2012 - 143rd, 2011 - 218th, 2010 - 159th, and 2009 - 36th). It would seem with the skill sets (and deficiencies) of the roster on paper, applying some pressure on defense and playing in transition utilizing a larger rotation would make a lot of sense and obviously with those stats it would be hard to imagine us playing slower. But for me, I want to see it before thinking we are going to run 11 deep with 11 guys playing 15+ minutes a game. With all of the new faces and the makeup of the roster I am really interested to watch this team play and develop. I haven't been to practice and candidly don't know exactly what a Coach Ford team looks like system wise, so I really don't know what to expect. I was just surprised to see Weaver lumped in with the other guys in the 4-11 bucket since I have a tough time seeing him not playing over 25 mpg.