TF interview with Frank

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ACE noted on this earlier. 

I still think KC will be a good player for us, seems like some people have moved on a little from him. 

The perkins news is a little alarming, hoping someone can tell me this is a normal thing for juco

I really want to see Jimerson right now.  if he shoots over 37% from 3 this year, this could be a good year for the team. 

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I still think KC will be a good player for us, seems like some people have moved on a little from him. 

The perkins news is a little alarming, hoping someone can tell me this is a normal thing for juco

I really want to see Jimerson right now.  if he shoots over 37% from 3 this year, this could be a good year for the team. 

As far as I remember, and they keep changing these rules, but a JUCO player who was a non qualifier out of HS (I don't know if this was the case w/ Perkins) needs to earn an AA degree to be eligible transferring to D1. Perkins is probably finishing up course work this summer to do that, and that is not uncommon. 

HoosierPal, Box and Won and Zink like this

19 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Agree on Jimerson.  Coach seemed to light up when discussing him. 

BTW no comment on scheduling.  Also TF, talked about the new recruiting periods and constraints.  He is not a fan of the changes.

37 minutes ago, bauman said:

Not a good sign for Frank's rating since no one else has posted anything about this.

Frank had TF on for about 15-20 minutes this morning.  Spent the first 10 minutes talking about pro basketball (Sorry, not interested) camps, retired players and his brief effort to get a spot in the NBA.  I was about to get out of the car since I could have not have cared less, then finally FC asked a current team question.

Comments of Coach as best as I can remember:

YC, a gifted PG who sees things others don't see.  Rated his shooting as good, in fact he had just had a very good day shooting at this morning's practice, but said they hoped to get him up to the very good or great shooter level during his time at SLU,  Said he penetrated very well:

TF spoke in glowing terms about GJ's shooting - I think he said something like he is the best shooter we have had.  Ford said in all the scrimmages they have you want to have Jimerson on your team because he is going to nail plenty of shots.  Coach also said he is not just a 3 pt shooter but can score from all over.  He will  be in the rotation for sure.

Hargrove will play both the 3 and 4 spots, both of which he can do very well;

Ford was very  positive about Bell.  It seemed like he expected Bell to be more than a 5 minute a game replacement for HF.  He said Bell reported at over 300 lbs but was now down to 290.  It sounds like his weight might be an ongoing issue;  The other new big was not discussed, probably because TF usually just responds to Frank's question and Frank didn't ask about Diarra.

Speaking of French, he (TF) said he expects to have a big 3 in terms of impact on the season.  Of course that would be HF, JG and FT Jr.  . At this point he interjected that he was seeing a lot of good things from Jacobs and Hankton.  That was good to hear;

He said Perkins is still not with the team, finishing up some course work and said he could not discuss Weaver since he has not signed certain paperwork or started classes.

That's the best I can recall.  If you heard this segment pls feel free to add or subtract.

Here's the interview:

https://www.blogtalkradio.com/thepressbox/2019/07/09/segment-4--travis-ford-7919

Ford's comments on the NBA Billikens.

He was in the Vegas arena when the earthquake hit.  Pretty scary.  When the scoreboard started swaying they knew it was bad.

Bess was first off bench in the first two games.  Last game the Pelicans played some guys that they recently traded for.  Isabell hasn't played much for the Clips.  He told Isabell to use this summer league to enhance your chance at other leagues.  Lot's of international scouts at the Summer League games.  Interesting comments about Ford being drafted by the Warriors.  They didn't have Summer League back then, but he went to their Camps and got cut before the season started. Coach said he knew at Vet Camp, playing against John Stockton, that he needed to up his game to play in the League.  It didn't happen.

You could tell by Coach's comments that he isn't going to rely on Collins as a shooter, just yet. Called Jimerson's shot similar to Klay Thompson's shot. "We need to recruit a few more guys like him, a shooter."

"Easy to go with Hargrove at the 4.  TJ can slide to the 3 as he can handle to ball.  KC Hankton can also slide to the 4."  Bell down from 318 lb to 290 lb in three weeks with the practices.  "He needs to get into shape in order to play a little longer."

"We've always had great depth in June and July.  The problem is when January and February hit, everyone seems to be injured."

"We are going to spend the next five weeks, starting today, concentrating on our style of play, who we our, our culture."  The first three weeks have been about individual skills.  "We will play uptempo to use our depth."  "We have two or three guys that have to be on the court.  Those three will be high minute guys.  Everybody else is interchangeable."

He has been impressed with Jacobs and Hankton.  They have stepped it up, showing what they learned from last season.

He said Welmer may try to continue playing.  A few schools have called about him.  Ford said that Welmer's release can't (won't) come until August.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Ford's comments on the NBA Billikens.

He was in the Vegas arena when the earthquake hit.  Pretty scary.  When the scoreboard started swaying they knew it was bad.

Bess was first off bench in the first two games.  Last game the Pelicans played some guys that they recently traded for.  Isabell hasn't played much for the Clips.  He told Isabell to use this summer league to enhance your chance at other leagues.  Lot's of international scouts at the Summer League games.  Interesting comments about Ford being drafted by the Warriors.  They didn't have Summer League back then, but he went to their Camps and got cut before the season started. Coach said he knew at Vet Camp, playing against John Stockton, that he needed to up his game to play in the League.  It didn't happen.

You could tell by Coach's comments that he isn't going to rely on Collins as a shooter, just yet. Called Jimerson's shot similar to Klay Thompson's shot. "We need to recruit a few more guys like him, a shooter."

"Easy to go with Hargrove at the 4.  TJ can slide to the 3 as he can handle to ball.  KC Hankton can also slide to the 4."  Bell down from 318 lb to 290 lb in three weeks with the practices.  "He needs to get into shape in order to play a little longer."

"We've always had great depth in June and July.  The problem is when January and February hit, everyone seems to be injured."

"We are going to spend the next five weeks, starting today, concentrating on our style of play, who we our, our culture."  The first three weeks have been about individual skills.  "We will play uptempo to use our depth."  "We have two or three guys that have to be on the court.  Those three will be high minute guys.  Everybody else is interchangeable."

He has been impressed with Jacobs and Hankton.  They have stepped it up, showing what they learned from last season.

He said Welmer may try to continue playing.  A few schools have called about him.  Ford said that Welmer's release can't (won't) come until August.

Who is TJ - when I checked the roster I could not find him?

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

High praise for my man Yuri don't Worry! Hear that Taj Mahal 79 and B'roy? Prediction: starter before we enter conference play. The kid's a creator, game maker, and no heart breaker!

Is he your son?

15 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Coach would like the season to start later, like in December (to avoid football) and extending into April. He thought they were headed that way, but it doesn't look like it will happen.

What's his reason for this? Just curious. Biggest hurdle is probably the big-money brand that is "March Madness".

4 minutes ago, Pistol said:

What's his reason for this? Just curious. Biggest hurdle is probably the big-money brand that is "March Madness".

start march madness on the last day of the month so you can still use the phrase?? 

Pistol likes this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Basketball, good and bad, is spread over both academic semesters.  Nice they get a few months of school w only practices - no games and road trips - until they get acclimated. Also, current schedule seems good to end in time to allow them over a full month to make up work, get help and then get ready for finals.  

Pushing back would not eliminate games from 1 of the 2 semesters (the Fall semester), would make the games start just before Fall finals and then end just before Spring finals - doesn’t sound good for the kids. 

3star_recruit likes this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

His reason he stated he was in favor of moving it back was to avoid college and pro football's schedule as much as possible. He thinks it would improve attendance across college basketball.

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

His reason he stated he was in favor of moving it back was to avoid college and pro football's schedule as much as possible. He thinks it would improve attendance across college basketball.

Good enough for me. I'm all for it.

40 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

-then in some markets you get to pro baseball and other markets you get to college baseball, point is there is always competition, if doing for academics I am all in favor

-the contract with CBS/Turner to televise the tourney goes until 2032, don't get too excited too soon for any change

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Coach on TV with Danny Mac at Cards game. One new item. “We’ll probably play 10-11 guys”. 

This may mean many things. If he is really thinking about using10-11 guys during the whole season, that means to me he that he may be thinking of changing the play style to fit the players he is using. The goal of this could be to confuse the opposing team time and again during a game. This may get pretty complex, but if he can do it with this team it would drive the opposition totally bonkers simply because the way we hit them or defend against them changes to a greater or a lesser degree many times during the game.

This may not be as far fetched as it sounds. Ford has done this already in prior years, just changing play style in ways that totally confused the opposition. Of course, when you play with a depleted team with no bench and a number of injured players, you cannot push these changes too far. Maybe he thinks this team has what it takes to try and see if this fluid changing style of play works? I really do not know, and any number of you will most likely disagree with what I just said, but I find it interesting that he is saying what he is saying during an interview.