Welcome to the Billikens, Tay Weaver!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Because he was playing for Eastern Kentucky. Wiley averaged 5 ppg at Maryland. Do you really think he would have any problem averaging 10 ppg in the OVC?

I'm glad that we have a spot up shooter and a secondary ballhandler but that's just what he is.

Weaver has come a long way. He struggled academically in high school, shot 32% from 3 in high school and didn't get offered from Eastern Kentucky until after his senior year.  Now he's a college graduate who will be a spot up shooter in the A10. Helluva accomplishment.

Based on Wiley's season, he wouldn't score 10 a game in the OVC. That is a guard oriented league. That being said, IMO Weaver will be better than Wiley overall, hence the numbers I previously posted that his averages were about the same against NCAA tournament teams.

25 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Because he was playing for Eastern Kentucky. Wiley averaged 5 ppg at Maryland. Do you really think he would have any problem averaging 10 ppg in the OVC?

I'm glad that we have a spot up shooter and a secondary ballhandler but that's just what he is.

Weaver has come a long way. He struggled academically in high school, shot 32% from 3 in high school and didn't get offered from Eastern Kentucky until after his senior year.  Now he's a college graduate who will be a spot up shooter in the A10. Helluva accomplishment.

-hopefully the arrow keeps pointing up for him, sounds like he might have figured out some stuff

He won't beat out Yuri unless Yuri can't play a lick of D. But he'll be a good off the bench for spot minutes. And we're overlooking Jacobs too. I just hope he stays healthy, so we have depth that we didn't have last year. 

35 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Agreed.

OK, still a chance for a GT, JUCO or foreign big this summer?

43 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Maybe -maybe not, I’m just stating why I don’t like comparing those two

53 minutes ago, mdscott24 said:

Based on Wiley's season, he wouldn't score 10 a game in the OVC. That is a guard oriented league. That being said, IMO Weaver will be better than Wiley overall, hence the numbers I previously posted that his averages were about the same against NCAA tournament teams.

Wiley's 6'4 and can shoot over practically any guard in the OVC. He'd get 10 shots a game in that league.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Wiley averaged 5.8 ppg his last season at Maryland.  He averaged 4.5 ppg for the Billikens.  So I guess with your line of thinking, the A10 is tougher than the Big 10?    

rgbilliken and Cincybill like this

22 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Wiley averaged 5.8 ppg his last season at Maryland.  He averaged 4.5 ppg for the Billikens.  So I guess with your line of thinking, the A10 is tougher than the Big 10?    

Wiley played a similar role for us that he played at Maryland. He'd start for Eastern Kentucky.

There's a reason that the Jake Barnetts of the world are double digit scorers for low major teams and role players for high-mid-majors. The talent levels of the teams are different. Where you used to be the 3rd option on offense now you're coming off the bench.

billiken_roy likes this

39 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Wiley's 6'4 and can shoot over practically any guard in the OVC. He'd get 10 shots a game in that league.

In his lone game against an OVC school last year Wiley did score 9 points in 26 minutes, on 3-9 (2-8 from 3) shooting. But that was against SEMO, one of the worst teams in the league. Perhaps he could, but I saw him clang a lot of open looks off the rim last season in his sub 30% shooting season. Just because he can shoot over them doesn't translate into makes. That being said, I think Weaver, who averaged over 10 a game against tournament teams last year. will be more consistent than Wiley (could have been his injuries) in providing a steady backcourt role for us off the bench next season.

Wiley also dealt with nagging injuries his entire senior season at SLU - and career, for that matter.

Weaver has dealt with severe injuries himself, but the kind that shut him down for the season. When he's played, he's been healthy. He was healthy and productive last season and he's healthy now.

To me, that's the most crucial difference between him and Wiley.

(They're much different players than one another, regardless.)

Zink, dennis_w and rgbilliken like this

59 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Wiley played a similar role for us that he played at Maryland. He'd start for Eastern Kentucky.

There's a reason that the Jake Barnetts of the world are double digit scorers for low major teams and role players for high-mid-majors. The talent levels of the teams are different. Where you used to be the 3rd option on offense now you're coming off the bench.

We can speculate all we want.  The results next season are all that matters.  Frankly, to me, Wiley didn't deliver the goods last season.  Would he have been better in the OVC?  He didn't play there, so it really doesn't matter.  They are different players with different roles.  I didn't see Wiley bringing the ball up court or handing out assists and I don't expect to see Weaver guarding the 4.

54 minutes ago, mdscott24 said:

In his lone game against an OVC school last year Wiley did score 9 points in 26 minutes, on 3-9 (2-8 from 3) shooting. But that was against SEMO, one of the worst teams in the league. Perhaps he could, but I saw him clang a lot of open looks off the rim last season in his sub 30% shooting season. Just because he can shoot over them doesn't translate into makes. That being said, I think Weaver, who averaged over 10 a game against tournament teams last year. will be more consistent than Wiley (could have been his injuries) in providing a steady backcourt role for us off the bench next season.

Weaver scored 2 points against SEMO.  It happens.

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

He won't beat out Yuri unless Yuri can't play a lick of D. But he'll be a good off the bench for spot minutes. And we're overlooking Jacobs too. I just hope he stays healthy, so we have depth that we didn't have last year. 

i believe that yuri will get starter minutes, but also there will be games when he plays like a freshman and having  weaver will fill those minutes, i hope jacobs steps up, but at this point he hasnt shown anything to be optimistic about. ford has depth and options the bills havnt had in a very long time

Jacobs is a real enigma. Because of injuries, we just weren't able to get much of a book on him. The few looks we got were rather depressing; weak passes and timidity. He looked like the proverbial deer in the headlights. Contrast that to his videos where he looked skilled and very athletic. My guess would be if he can't crack an 8-9 man rotation this season he's just not cut out for D1 hoops. Makes me wonder if he's the reason Ford went after Weaver. 

11 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Jacobs is a real enigma. Because of injuries, we just weren't able to get much of a book on him. The few looks we got were rather depressing; weak passes and timidity. He looked like the proverbial deer in the headlights. Contrast that to his videos where he looked skilled and very athletic. My guess would be if he can't crack an 8-9 man rotation this season he's just not cut out for D1 hoops. Makes me wonder if he's the reason Ford went after Weaver. 

Lol yikes. So we think a 22 or 23 year old redshirt senior who averaged double figures at a low-mid major school can't beat out a true freshman because the OVC doesn't compare to the A10, but we think a true soph needs to go play division 2 if he can't beat out these same 2 high level guards at an A10 school?? 

I think we have to let guys get older and develop. Jacobs is going to be more than ok and if he doesn't beat Weaver out this year it's not the end of the world. He's going to get to be a 22 year old one day as well. We had 4 of them in our rotation last year. That matters in mid major basketball. Most of the teams in our aren't getting tons of 4 and 5 stars each year.

dennis_w likes this

3 hours ago, Franchise_08 said:

I like that we can matchup with those small A10 PGs that we couldn’t guard last year. 

Regardless of whether they are connected, this is one reason why I am a fan of this signing and wasn’t of adding Mikey Lewis. I think Weaver really compliments our roster with his more true combo guard ability which will allow him to guard the point and also be more of a true secondary ball handler in addition to helping fill the obvious need of being a shooting threat from deep (and hopefully Jimerson helps with that as well). I also like that we appear to be asking him to play the role he was filling at Eastern Kentucky. Put me down for seeing little downside in this addition and being onboard with it.

43 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Jacobs is a real enigma. Because of injuries, we just weren't able to get much of a book on him. The few looks we got were rather depressing; weak passes and timidity. He looked like the proverbial deer in the headlights. Contrast that to his videos where he looked skilled and very athletic. My guess would be if he can't crack an 8-9 man rotation this season he's just not cut out for D1 hoops. Makes me wonder if he's the reason Ford went after Weaver

There are a LOT of reasons we needed this signing - it's not all on Jacobs. As we entered the start of the spring period, it was clear to me we needed one more guard, ideally one who could shoot. Unless there is a last minute surprise, the one missing piece Ford wasn't able to land in the spring was a grad transfer big.

Just a guess on my part. But I suspect that Ford shared some of his perspectives as a small guard, and that Ford can help him maximize his game.  Its likely that Ford said he will get a chance to earn starting minutes. There are question marks over all of the newbies, regarding there ability to play D and shoot at this level. And with returning players, what is Jacob's capable of, will Thatch be able to consistently hit his outside shot? 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I don't think he's cut out for half court D-1 hoops. He'd do fine in a transition based offense where he can fly down the court before the defense gets set. He's not a combo guard, he's a small ball 3.