Collins and Hargrove Article

2 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

"We’re basically getting paid to play college basketball on full scholarship. So, we can’t come here and waste anyone’s time. We have a mission."

Gotta like Collins' attitude.

You will like him a whole lot more when he hits the floor. Yuri Don't Worry! I see Alley Oops and sneaky passes to Hargrove that will make our jaws drop! And after he drops a few floaters, oh my, towel me! 

The Good: great article, thanks STU

The Bad: It is nearly impossible to find that article on STLToday's website. If it hadn't been posted here I'm not sure I'd have seen it. And then they say the article doesn't get a lot of clicks so there must not be interest in SLU... 

3star_recruit likes this

32 minutes ago, kshoe said:

The Good: great article, thanks STU

The Bad: It is nearly impossible to find that article on STLToday's website. If it hadn't been posted here I'm not sure I'd have seen it. And then they say the article doesn't get a lot of clicks so there must not be interest in SLU... 

It’s there on StLToday web. It is in the Top Stories Banner. 

I have been all over the STLToday website and cannot find any reference to the article.  I even went to a section with the heading Mizzou/SLU/Illinois and found links to 7 articles, none of them about SLU.  All 7 articles were about SPUMAC including one more Porter family article.  Hard to get any clicks if no one can find the article.

If they think they're getting a lot of attention now, just wait a couple of years. Once they make the impact we expect they'll make on the court, it's likely their fame will exceed that of Anthony Bonner, Larry Hughes, Erwin Claggett, Scott Highmark, Tommie Liddell III, and Kevin Lisch.

It's going to be a lot of fun.

44 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Yeah, same thing for me. I'm not seeing it at all on the main page of the Sports section, but it is the first story when I click on the college sports section.

15 minutes ago, bauman said:

I have been all over the STLToday website and cannot find any reference to the article.  I even went to a section with the heading Mizzou/SLU/Illinois and found links to 7 articles, none of them about SLU.  All 7 articles were about SPUMAC including one more Porter family article.  Hard to get any clicks if no one can find the article.

Quite interesting, and I'm not doubting any of you.  I just checked and it is still there on my version, still in the Top Stories banner.  Perhaps it has something to do with the version of the software each of us has. 

I use the STL today app and it was on the top stories banner in the sports section for me. Who knows! That paper is a s#%* show and rarely does anything right. I would imagine half the Employees don’t even realize they have an app.

That said it was a great article. That’s the type of stuff I want to see more of from Stu. Just quick updates and human interest pieces.  I’m not asking for much in the off-season just a few articles to let me know Stu is still employed.

-nice article about what appear to be two worthy players

-not to be Debbie Downer, but the line about 'coach wants to run' has probably been something said by every coach about every upcoming season in recent memory, I hope our roster allows it to happen and if it does happen we make our dunks/layups and associated ft's

5 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-nice article about what appear to be two worthy players

-not to be Debbie Downer, but the line about 'coach wants to run' has probably been something said by every coach about every upcoming season in recent memory, I hope our roster allows it to happen and if it does happen we make our dunks/layups and associated ft's

Yuri's the first point guard since Waldman that I trust to create a good shot in transition. Talk about a long dry spell.

rgbilliken likes this

2 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-not to be Debbie Downer, but the line about 'coach wants to run' has probably been something said by every coach about every upcoming season in recent memory

So true. I wish I could find the Tweet, but this spring when a number of programs brought in new coaches someone put together clips from the various press conferences announcing the new coaches and the coaches all saying how they were going to play fast. And then in the response they pointed out the speed at which the programs the various coaches were previously at played (and shockingly few of them actually played fast). Not related to Ford, but something that amused me at the time and your post made me think of that.

I like seeing that Hargrove has put on 7 pounds in a month and is closing in on 200 pounds.  He is going to need every pound he can add, to defend in the paint. I dont know where others think he will play, but I think he will likely play a lot of the 4 spot when French is out and a whole lot of the 4 spot, if our freshman bigs spend most of their time sitting and Frech is playing the 5.  I'm still hoping we can find a grad transfer big to take some of the load.

1 hour ago, Aquinas said:

I like seeing that Hargrove has put on 7 pounds in a month and is closing in on 200 pounds.  He is going to need every pound he can add, to defend in the paint. I dont know where others think he will play, but I think he will likely play a lot of the 4 spot when French is out and a whole lot of the 4 spot, if our freshman bigs spend most of their time sitting and Frech is playing the 5.  I'm still hoping we can find a grad transfer big to take some of the load.

I agree that Hargrove will defend the 4 position. He's a better interior defender than Perkins.

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I agree that Hargrove will defend the 4 position. He's a better interior defender than Perkins.

Speaking of Perkins, is on campus and working out with the team?  I seem to remember that someone said he is finishing up a course.  Does that mean he is still in JUCO at SWIC?  The sooner he gets to SLU and becomes part of the team in all phases, the better.

3 hours ago, Aquinas said:

Yep. He's going to see a lot of the 4 this season. Hankton, too, if he can add some bulk. We can't assume we'll see more than limited minutes from the freshman bigs. I hope they're up to speed sooner than I assume, but Hargrove has a big opportunity if he can play big.

Zink and dennis_w like this