Tennis Coach Leaves

7 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

The administration has no desire to move these programs forward. That would take money and commitment. They are content with their philosophy that the men’s basketball program is the crown jewel. Followed by men’s soccer. Women’s basketball, volleyball and soccer get funding because of Title IX requirements and they will even put a little effort and money into baseball and softball. The rest of the sports are sacrifial lambs and pretty much given a low price coach, minimal funding and told good luck. I assume the reason for all the low funded sports is either league or NCAA requirements to have a certain number of teams. If that is not the reason, I’ve always wondered why they bother to have them if they are not willing to fund them at a competitive level.

pretty sure it is an ncaa requirement that you have to participate in a certain number of both men and women's teams to be considered D1

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

pretty sure it is an ncaa requirement that you have to participate in a certain number of both men and women's teams to be considered D1

Yes. That’s why we have a cross country team. Some runners can do both. 

On 6/22/2019 at 8:28 PM, Bills10s said:

Longtime viewer of this board and a tennis and basketball enthusiast.  I noticed the longtime tennis coach has left SLU.  This would be a great time for SLU to upgrade an olympic sport.  I know in the past the tennis courts were destroyed when the arena was built,  but does anyone see the athletic department putting in new courts and hiring a good coach.  Like baseball, I think tennis could be a winning spring sport in the A10.  Thoughts?

I know I’m jumping out of line actually responding to the OP’s question but....

I’ve been told by someone at SLU that the idea of building a tennis facility somewhere on Compton at or south of Chouteau has been discussed.  I don’t believe a final decision has been made however.

rgbilliken likes this

12 hours ago, ARon said:

I know I’m jumping out of line actually responding to the OP’s question but....

I’ve been told by someone at SLU that the idea of building a tennis facility somewhere on Compton at or south of Chouteau has been discussed.  I don’t believe a final decision has been made however.

Indoor courts?

8 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Indoor courts?

It would need to be both indoor/outdoor. 

Previously mentioned VCU for example, has 6 outdoor courts that are covered via bubble in winter months. (They would need scoreboard, spectator seating etc...)

Marquette recently opened their $3.6 million bubble during winter months for track, soccer, lacrosse teams, even golf. (their indoor only tennis facility was built attached to their rec center when it was built, decades ago for a few million) Weather is a bit more forgiving in St. Louis. So SLU could think of something for tennis, as well as something else for other sports too. This would be multiple structures. And SLU could use it for many sports teams that need it in bad weather months.

It would not be all that difficult to build a facility that could have a bubble over it in poor weather months. That would likely be SLU’s route. Stl climate would be such that you would want and need both indoor/outdoor.

Davidson’s newer facility is 12 outdoor $1.55 million to go with their older but remodeled 4 indoor court facility. They wanted enough courts for both men and women to play and practice at same time.

Facilities vary. Obviously the top schools have many courts both indoor/outdoor. SLU could do a bubble and have both or build both. Building only indoor or only outdoor wouldn’t be well thought out. Often times a wealthy donor will put up a few million for it. 

-where would an indoor tennis facility be constructed? Harris Stowe's land would be great but I doubt the state is selling that, I imagine if tennis got an indoor facility we would need new baseball and softball coaches unless any such building had those sports in the mix as well

-perhaps The U could build a garage on the Weber Lot and the upper level could be such a facility...........if someone donates the cash

It could be two facilities, one indoor, one outdoor, next to each other. This is much preferred and more ideal. Or, it could be outdoor courts that are covered by a bubble part of the year.  For example, other cold weather Midwest schools such as Notre Dame, Northwestern, (Power 5 schools and programs) have about 15 outdoor courts and 6 indoor courts, separate facilities next to each other.  Scoreboard, seating, locker rooms, training room, video, etc...are things to consider as well. 

I would think the minimum would be build outdoor courts with bubble for bad weather. 

Currently SLU plays at Dwight Davis Tennis Center in Forest Park which has 19 outdoor courts including a stadium court. It does not have the other mentioned amenities. SLU’s indoor weather site is Sunset Tennis Center which has 7 indoor courts, and, is not close to campus. (8 total)

To all who say we need to be in the Big East, that we should have been in the Big East previously...  guess what... conferences look to more than just the men's basketball program. Time to put up or shut up.   When we say that SLU is committed to winning and its sports departments, let's see what Dr. P and the Board of Trustee's decides to do.   Dr. C could easily drop a few million... but will he?   Why always Dr. C?   I would rather he give his $ on other items.  Let's see what type of fundraising we can do.   We are not talking about an $80 million (or more) facility.   But the baseball team fundraising on their own and buying a few heaters and sheds for the baseball team is not real commitment.   Baseball does so well with so little.   An indoor facility for tennis, baseball, softball, etc. would be great --- and needed.   Funding and commitment to all the sports programs will also help us get into the Big East.   And remember when SLU was a top 10 women's volleyball program?   Now, our team would lose to some high school teams as it plays on the basketball court.  Other campuses (our competition) have volleyball only facilities -- closer to the $80 million figure than the $2-$4 million figures for indoor facilities. Sounds like Marquette has (and has had) indoor tennis, other sports facilities.   If we want to catch up with Marquette, Creighton and the others, we have a long way to go.

billikenfan05 likes this

3 hours ago, courtside said:

It could be two facilities, one indoor, one outdoor, next to each other. This is much preferred and more ideal. Or, it could be outdoor courts that are covered by a bubble part of the year.  For example, other cold weather Midwest schools such as Notre Dame, Northwestern, (Power 5 schools and programs) have about 15 outdoor courts and 6 indoor courts, separate facilities next to each other.  Scoreboard, seating, locker rooms, training room, video, etc...are things to consider as well. 

I would think the minimum would be build outdoor courts with bubble for bad weather. 

Currently SLU plays at Dwight Davis Tennis Center in Forest Park which has 19 outdoor courts including a stadium court. It does not have the other mentioned amenities. SLU’s indoor weather site is Sunset Tennis Center which has 7 indoor courts, and, is not close to campus. (8 total)

All of the homes last season were actually played at St. Clair Tennis Club, O'Fallon, IL

16 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-where would an indoor tennis facility be constructed? Harris Stowe's land would be great but I doubt the state is selling that, I imagine if tennis got an indoor facility we would need new baseball and softball coaches unless any such building had those sports in the mix as well

-perhaps The U could build a garage on the Weber Lot and the upper level could be such a facility...........if someone donates the cash

Or knock down part of Grand Forest.

53 minutes ago, brianstl said:

What's Jenifer Capriati up to?

hahaha  storied name from the past. 

11 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I am on board with improvement and such of on campus facilities, but tennis is pretty far down the list - like last. Get baseball, softball, and soccer upgraded first. Tennis could ideally combine with another sport on a year round 'dome' type facility. 

Agree with what you mentioned. Also still need a facility on-campus for Girls Field Hockey. The team is a embarrassment and desperately needs a facility close by for practice.  A south campus location would be fine. 

3 hours ago, JMM28 said:

I am on board with improvement and such of on campus facilities, but tennis is pretty far down the list - like last. Get baseball, softball, and soccer upgraded first. Tennis could ideally combine with another sport on a year round 'dome' type facility. 

I don’t believe anyone is advocating anything less than resources and facilities upgrades across the board for all sports. This is of course if SLU wants to compete at a higher level. 

• 2 weeks later...