Javon Bess ——> New Orleans

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the 5 minutes concern me.  up until last night javon was 6th in minutes played.    i assumed the no scoring would catch up to him.   he will not make the team on defense and rebounding alone.  especially when he is missing put back bunnies at the end of games (see game 2).   i am sure having to play power forward is weighing on him, but still he has to contribute something offensively or it is an easy no for the coaches.   

46 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

the 5 minutes concern me.  up until last night javon was 6th in minutes played.    i assumed the no scoring would catch up to him.   he will not make the team on defense and rebounding alone.  especially when he is missing put back bunnies at the end of games (see game 2).   i am sure having to play power forward is weighing on him, but still he has to contribute something offensively or it is an easy no for the coaches.   

Pelicans had 3 rookies who hadn't played in the first two games.  They made their debut last night.  They are pretty loaded with wing players this coming season.

12 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

The plus and minus scores really make little sense to me. Like how does Willie Reeds stats against Memphis give him a -11

What doesn’t make sense?  The other team scored 11 more points than Willie’s team while he was on the court. 

2 hours ago, Sheltiedave said:

When your butt is in the game, the net scoring margin was 11 pts to your opponent’s advantage.

not a hard concept to master.

I think what CTA was saying is that it seem hard for that stat to be true.  If Willie played 15 minutes and scored 12 points, then the other team would have had to score 26 points without anyone else on the Jazz scoring during those 15 minutes.  It's possible, but rarely does a guy score 15 points in 12 minutes and end up -11.

UPDATE:  Just looked it up and that is the stat that is given on ESPN's box score.  Interestingly, the box score also shows that a play for the Jazz (M. Oni) was -32 in 26 minutes of play.  Ouch.

willie likes this

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

UPDATE:  Just looked it up and that is the stat that is given on ESPN's box score.  Interestingly, the box score also shows that a play for the Jazz (M. Oni) was -32 in 26 minutes of play.  Ouch.

Yeah, some of the +|- stats in the box scores look really odd, but I have no way of knowing how accurate they are. Like Bess was a -6 one game despite 0 minutes of action. I thought it was worth keeping on my little stat post though. Like the last game Willie played I think he may have gotten worked over a bit by the former UNC bigs playing with Charlotte, so that -15 for him could be on him more than some of the other ones.

If you look at the stats for the game, it makes perfect sense. Utah played Willie and the other center in a traditional 5 slot, 39 of the 40 minutes between the two.

Willie got 15 minutes, Bradley got 24 minutes. The Grizzlies won 85 to 68. The quarter splits were -7, -2, plus 2, and -10 for Utah.

6 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

If you look at the stats for the game, it makes perfect sense. Utah played Willie and the other center in a traditional 5 slot, 39 of the 40 minutes between the two.

Willie got 15 minutes, Bradley got 24 minutes. The Grizzlies won 85 to 68. The quarter splits were -7, -2, plus 2, and -10 for Utah.

So Willie was -11 in only 15 minutes while his competition was -6 in 24 minutes.  And if Willie played 24 minutes at that pace as well, he would have been -17 or -18 compared to his competition’s -6. 

8 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

I was curious how our guys did in Summer League after I kind of stopped following after the opening weekend of games and since I am a really motivated worker put this together this morning to start my week off on the right foot. I hope at least one other poster was similarly interested in how our guys did and finds the below info helpful.

Javon Bess - New Orleans Pelicans

7/5 vs. New York Knicks - 21 minutes, 0 points (0/5 from the field, 0/3 from 3), 5 rebounds (2 offensive, 3 defensive), 1 turnover, 2 steals, +3

7/6 vs. Washington Wizards - 16 minutes, 0 points (0/2 from the field), 8 rebounds (3 offensive/5 defensive), 1 turnover, -4

7/8 vs. Chicago Bulls - 4 minutes, 0 points (0/1 from the field, 0/1 from 3), 1 rebound (1 defensive), +9

7/10 vs. Cleveland Cavaliers – 0 minutes

7/13 vs. Miami Heat – 0 minutes, -6

7/14 vs. Memphis Grizzlies – 0 minutes, 2 points (1/1 from the field), -4

Tramaine Isabell - Los Angeles Clippers

7/6 vs. Los Angeles Lakers – 0 minutes

7/7 vs. Memphis Grizzlies – 0 minutes

7/9 vs. Washington Wizards - 1 minute, 0 points (0/1 from the field), -2

7/11 vs. Sacramento Kings – 0 minutes

7/12 vs Indiana Pacers – 23 minutes, 8 points (3/9 from the field, 1/4 from 3), 3 rebounds (1 offensive/2 defensive), 8 assists, 2 steals, -7

Willie Reed - Utah Jazz

7/1 vs. Memphis Grizzlies - 15 minutes, 12 points (6/8 from the field), 5 rebounds (3 offensive/2 defensive), 2 assists, 2 turnovers, 2 blocks, -11

7/2 vs Cleveland Cavaliers – 0 minutes

7/3 vs. San Antonio Spurs - 24 minutes, 14 points (7/13 from the field, 0/1 from the line), 16 rebounds (8 offensive/8 defensive), 2 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, +1

7/6 vs. Oklahoma City Thunder - 13 minutes, 4 points (2/4 from the field, 0/2 from the line), 2 rebounds (2 defensive), +1

7/7 vs. Miami Heat - 24 minutes, 14 points (5/11 from the field, 4/10 from the line), 12 rebounds (4 offensive/8 defensive), 1 assist, 2 turnovers, 1 steal, 2 blocks, -9

7/9 vs. Portland Trail Blazers – 0 minutes

7/11 vs. Houston Rockets – 16 minutes, 13 points (5/6 from the field, 3/6 from the line), 4 rebounds (3 defensive/1 offensive), 1 assist, 3 turnovers, +2

7/13 vs. Charlotte Hornets – 15 minutes, 1 point (0/3 from the field, 1/4 from the line), 6 rebounds (4 defensive/2 offensive), 1 turnover, 1 block, -15

Not good stats for Bess or Isabell