Javon Bess ——> New Orleans

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bess showed he is willing and able to rebound and defend  which gives him a chance.   Now he needs to make some shots.   My guess the pelicans will only keep 1 or 2 rookie free agents.   So hes in quite the battle.

Different subject how about that Robinson guy for the Knicks?  Wow.

50 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Bess showed he is willing and able to rebound and defend  which gives him a chance.   Now he needs to make some shots.   My guess the pelicans will only keep 1 or 2 rookie free agents.   So hes in quite the battle.

0-5 overall and 0-3 from 3 land ain't gonna cut it I fear. But he'll work on it and get it going. 

He needs to improve offensively no doubt... and quickly to make the roster. That said, the coach kept going to him. First guy off the bench and at the end of the third quarter they put him in with 12 seconds to go specifically to stop the Knicks best player from driving the lane... and he did. His value is defense at 6’6”. I predict he sticks. They like him.

Other thing I think that was notable was that they came to an agreement almost instantaneously as soon as the draft was over. They had him on their radar and was definitely not a fill the roster out kind of guy.

almaman likes this

11 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Robinson was signed by Rick Stansbury at WKU but never played there.  He sat out his one year of college and then was drafted.  He was a top 5 guy in his recruiting class.  He played very well for the Knicks last years and was one of the surprises of the rookie class.

15 hours ago, Billnation08 said:

He spent time at the 4 last night too I noticed. Is he big enough for that position? 

Summer league teams don't necessarily balance their roster for equal numbers of C/F/G.  So you do get what looks like mismatches on the floor.  It's not the box score that teams are looking at in summer league.  It's the details of how the players perform.  For Bess to be asked to guard an NBA 4 slot can only be a positive for Javon.  If it works, it's a huge plus.  If he doesn't, well it didn't hurt to try.

I follow my home town Pacers.  They started an undersized PF in the pivot last night. 

1 hour ago, willie said:

Ford has a bigger current paycheck. 

but hughes should have the bigger stifel nicolaus investment account.   😄

5 hours ago, NashvilleBilliken said:

Thanks! I know Isabell but didn't recognize Tatum. Looks a little different than he did 20 years ago, lol. 

I was thinking the same thing.  Justin never sported hair on his cheeks and jaws at SLU.  I only recognized him from his tattoo.