Javon Bess ——> New Orleans

Just in case you want to set your DVR's (Or if you're Old Guy - your Tivo 😉), Javon's summer league games are televised.

Fri - July 5 - 8:30pm Central on ESPN

Sat - July 6 - 9:00pm Central on ESPN

Mon - July 8 - 8:30pm Central on NBA TV

Wed - July 10 - 6:30pm Central on ESPN2

The next four are tbd.  Link to schedule and roster below.

https://www.nba.com/pelicans/pelicans-announce-mgm-resorts-nba-summer-league-2019-roster-and-mini-camp-schedule

Littlebill likes this

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And here's a blurb on Isabell and the Clippers:

L.A. opens their Summer League campaign on Saturday, July 6, at 4:30 p.m. PDT against the Los Angeles Lakers on ESPNU. The Clippers will complete their opening round with contests against the Memphis Grizzlies (Sunday, July 7, at 8:30 p.m. PDT on ESPN2), the Washington Wizards (Tuesday, July 9, at 8:30 p.m. PDT on NBATV) and the Sacramento Kings (Thursday, July 11, at 7:00 p.m. PDT on NBATV). 

Willie Reed is playing for Utah's Summer League team.  He had a nice game last night.

7 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Willie Reed is playing for Utah's Summer League team.  He had a nice game last night.

I know of his issues but I still believe Willie can be an effective backup player in the NBA. 

17 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Who says he hasn't recovered? 

Me.   Understood he finished the last portion of our season with a repetitive injury requiring rest to fully heal -- and it doesn't sound like he has had time to heal.   

Old Guy/other medical experts -- what is length of time for a normal recovery?

21 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Me.   Understood he finished the last portion of our season with a repetitive injury requiring rest to fully heal -- and it doesn't sound like he has had time to heal.   

So baseless speculation.  Nice.

”doesn’t sound like he’s had time to heal” - GTFOH

everyone on here knows he was hobbled at the end of last season 

12 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

So baseless speculation.  Nice.

”doesn’t sound like he’s had time to heal” - GTFOH

everyone on here knows he was hobbled at the end of last season 

I wonder, what does “healing sounds like”? Birds chirping?  Ocean waves?  

Clock forgot Bess played in a totally optional 3 on 3 tourney in the spring. He wouldn’t compromise his future by playing in that tourney if he was not ready. 

SLU_Nick and rgbilliken like this

3 hours ago, Box and Won said:

3 billies playing this summer.  This is amazing, honestly. 

Box and Won likes this

3 hours ago, willie said:

I know of his issues but I still believe Willie can be an effective backup player in the NBA. 

I agree.  It seems like there are loads of guys with Willie's skill set in the NBA.  I think Kevon Looney is an example of what peak Willie could look like in the right situation.  He just got $15 million over 3 years from the Dubs.  The problem for Willie is that there are a lot of those type of guys (who like him haven't proven themselves as well as Looney) and most of them don't have Willie's other issues.  If you're an NBA team looking to sign a backup center to a minimum contract, are you taking Willie or someone without his baggage?

Despite his issues / past, I still hope Willie can work out his personal stuff, make it back to the NBA and have a good career.  Even though he left early, his bio still says SLU, so his success is a positive for SLU.

Just now, RUBillsFan said:

I agree.  It seems like there are loads of guys with Willie's skill set in the NBA.  I think Kevon Looney is an example of what peak Willie could look like in the right situation.  He just got $15 million over 3 years from the Dubs.  The problem for Willie is that there are a lot of those type of guys (who like him haven't proven themselves as well as Looney) and most of them don't have Willie's other issues.  If you're an NBA team looking to sign a backup center to a minimum contract, are you taking Willie or someone without his baggage?

Despite his issues / past, I still hope Willie can work out his personal stuff, make it back to the NBA and have a good career.  Even though he left early, his bio still says SLU, so his success is a positive for SLU.

I will always root for Willie but Willie has been his own worst enemy. And he’s made some terrible personal and professional decisions. 

3 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

That is hard to say. Let's assume he has a soft tissue injury, this can go from a sprain to an Achiles tendonitis with some of the injuries being a whole lot worse than others. With a soft tissue injury, what works is rest, ice, anti inflammatories, and some ROM exercises. JB continued playing last season, despite his injury, therefore making it worse rather than better. If he did it for a long enough time, the injury can transition from an acute inflammatory soft tissue injury to a chronic inflammatory soft tissue injury. It is hard to say what is long enough but he did a lot of playing with the injury. Once the injury goes from acute to  chronic, it is a LOT worse to treat and obtain full recovery.

So, it is not clear where Bess is at this time within the spectrum of a soft tissue injury. If he has become a chronic case, he will be limited to one degree or the other (perhaps very slightly)  for a long time, and if he wants to play he will have to do  so with his chronic injury in place. One of the good aspects of a chronic soft tissue  injury is that as long as it it not really pushed to the point of developing a new secondary acute injury on top of the existing chronic one, he may be stable enough to play.

I am sorry but we do not have enough information to say much else about this issue. Do I think he is fully recovered?, I strongly  think this is not the case. Can he play, he probably can with some limitations.

6 hours ago, crymdg2 said:

Gonna happen A LOT to people from Zion, but great to see Javon in a NBA uniform regardless!

Anyone know if jerseys matter? Do they split the teams randomly, or is there a main team and scrubs in summer league? Bess probably stole the ball the previous two times down the court, but that doesn't generate clicks. 😁

Willie Reed played again last night and put up 14 points on 7/13 shooting (0/1 from the line), 16 rebounds (8 offensive/8 defensive), 2 assists, 1 block, and 1 steal in 24 minutes.

We'll have our first chance to see Bess tomorrow night at 9:30 ET on ESPN.

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Didn't think twice about starting a new thread, buried it here.  Michael Porter hurt again.  Starting to feel a sorry for the kid.

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/07/04/nuggets-michael-porter-jr-injury-summer-league/

Don't feel sorry for him.  This one appears to be more of a typical injury, not a career-threatening one.

Porter signed a $15 million four year contract after playing 1.5 games of college basketball.  He was paid his first year of pay without having to a play a single game.  He also signed a multi year shoe endorsement contract with Puma.

From the standpoint of him being a kid who has not been able to play the game that he loves, I feel sorry for him.  From the standpoint of someone getting probably about $20 million dollars for not doing very much, I don't feel sorry for him at all.

9 minutes ago, BJK said:

Holy crap... earthquake! Bess has missed all three shot attempts but his defense has caused the ground to shake with fear.

Crazy that it impacted Vegas like that.  Looks like it was a big 7.1 in the same area as yesterday.