144 started already

14 hours ago, Old guy said:

HoosierPal, I  know you are reading the 144 list because it is there and it does provide some information. However, do you think SLU will end the season at 143 (or begin the season at 143) as they said we ranked?

I'll let you know in March.  I'd say 50/50 we end up 143, better or worse.

Yeah, I look at it because it is there. It gives you information on departures and returning players. It's the first thorough preview out, so it is worth my time looking at it every few days.  I find it interesting, but preseason polls are pretty useless.  It beats talking about Bunge moving to STL on a Billiken basketball forum.

rgbilliken likes this

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd say the 144 list, as it does every year, undervalued a good number of teams and overvalued many of the remaining teams. In a number of cases the teams may have been valued correctly by this list. If you throw enough spaghetti to the ceiling some of it will stick, the rest will not. The 144 list may have some uses, but as a ranking system it is useless.

Do you really think we will be ranked at 143 at the end of the season?

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17820

Davidson in at #42, 2nd in A10,  NCAA appearance.  We all know they have everyone important back.  The key for the Wildcats may be Brajkovic.  I see no one on their roster who can replace him, or even give him a spell on the bench.

No @Old guy, I don't know, and it doesn't matter.  That is twice you have asked the same question.  It's a pre-season poll.  It's educated guess work.  If you have a better poll, by all means let's see it.  I've seen maybe four lists, and each one has SLU  6th to 8th in the A10.  We could be above or below 143, or right at 143.

Cincybill likes this

Of course it does not matter, I for one will be very disappointed if we do not end this year with a double digit ranking. Disappointment is not knowledge, though, it is failed hopes and anticipation. There are no better polls available at this time, some will be right here, others will be right there, none will be right uniformly, none will make the same mistaken calls.

By the way, I care a lot more about where SLU will be at the end of the season that whatever the final ranking of Dayton will be. To get where I want to go we will have to blow off a lot of "better ranked" teams, so be it.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17896

VCU in at 22 and a 6th seed.  They will be loaded.

Speaking of teams we play this year, Auburn comes in at #24, however, they lose 54-55 points/game from last years' team and when you read the write-up on them, it's hard to see them as a top 25 team.

1 hour ago, bauman said:

Speaking of teams we play this year, Auburn comes in at #24, however, they lose 54-55 points/game from last years' team and when you read the write-up on them, it's hard to see them as a top 25 team.

Let's hope Auburn stays in the top 25.  That will give us another Quad #1 opportunity.

bauman likes this