144 started already

2 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

The write up says:

Five freshmen also join the Billikens this season, none of which are ranked higher than 3-star prospects. Point guard Yuri Collins is the highest ranked of the group as a top-250 recruit.

is this true?  I thought Jimerson was rather highly ranked?  and ranked higher than Yuri

Who cares where a player is ranked in high school.  Star ratings don't put points up on the scoreboard. 

Show up in college, lace them up, show what you got in practice, earn Playing Time, contribute to your college team......all more important than rankings and stars. 

Coach doesn't ask about stars when he recruits a player.

rgbilliken likes this

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, dennis_w said:

I can see picking us at 6, but i drink enough blue kool aid to believe we will have a good season. these recruits are higher level than we have had historically and with goodwin, french and thatch the defencs will be solid.

it all depends on the summer.   we shall see.   imo, the continued development of goodwin and french is the most important.  they have to become the real team leaders for all aspects of the program.   not only on the floor but off.    what bess meant to the program cannot be defined with statistics imo.  with so many newbies, that leadership replacement is vital.     

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

By the way, A10 Talk didn't list Goodwin in it's Top Twenty Five.  How Is that even possible?

This list is for last season.  I'm good with him not being in the Top 25.  I would put him fourth on the Bills for last season for total contribution..

The way you "evaluated Goodwin" at the end of the season, I'm surprised you ask "How is that even possible?"

4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Frankly I don't believe Richmond will have to improve 100 spots to finish above us. With all the new guys I think we're going to struggle early and take our lumps in conference before we figure out how to win on the road.

We could be playing good ball by the end of the year but have a .500 conference record to show for it.

That is basically what happened with SLU last season.  We only beat LaSalle, Fordham and GWU on the road.  We were scuffling team all regular season

-not sure I can quibble with the write up or projection/prognostication considering we lose the following:

47% of minutes played

40% of scoring

59% of rebounds

48% of assists

-I did see on this board, so consider the source, that Hargrove was moved to a 4 star after winning IL state title with his team

7 minutes ago, brianstl said:

That is basically what happened with SLU last season.  We only beat LaSalle, Fordham and GWU on the road.  We were scuffling team all regular season

But we beat Seton Hall, Butler and Oregon State in the non-con on pure talent. I think we're going to lose against good teams in the non-con simply because we're newbies.

27 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

it all depends on the summer.   we shall see.   imo, the continued development of goodwin and french is the most important.  they have to become the real team leaders for all aspects of the program.   not only on the floor but off.    what bess meant to the program cannot be defined with statistics imo.  with so many newbies, that leadership replacement is vital.     

agree, there are some what ifs. what if perkins becomes a big scorer, jimerson, hargraves. i have hope, and yes goodwin and french have to make another step up

35 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

But we beat Seton Hall, Butler and Oregon State in the non-con on pure talent. I think we're going to lose against good teams in the non-con simply because we're newbies.

Different team than the conference team.  We had Gordon then and Gordon was big in each of those wins.  The game at Seton Hall was our best win on the year and Gordon was the best player on the court for that game.

17 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Different team than the conference team.  We had Gordon then and Gordon was big in each of those wins.  The game at Seton Hall was our best win on the year and Gordon was the best player on the court for that game.

Exactly. That's why I think our non-con record will suffer accordingly. There's no Bess or Gordon to save us when things go left.

i think the newbies are very talented, some have elite skills, jimerson's shooting, collins passing,perkins has shown he can score. obviously not at d 1 but i think we are going to be pleased with this team. having potential shooters is something we have not had in some time

3 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

The write up says:

Five freshmen also join the Billikens this season, none of which are ranked higher than 3-star prospects. Point guard Yuri Collins is the highest ranked of the group as a top-250 recruit.

is this true?  I thought Jimerson was rather highly ranked?  and ranked higher than Yuri

I thought Hargrove was ranked higher than Collins.

No?

Depends on the rankings.

Collins ended up 202 on Prep Hoops, 200 on 247Sports, and 214 on the 247Sports Composite. ESPN did not evaluate him.

Hargrove finished at 135 on Prep Hoops, 307 on 247Sports, and 317 on the 247Sports Composite. ESPN gave him a grade of 81, 4 stars, #5 in IL, 25 in the Midwest, and 35 at SF.

Jimerson was 440 via 247Sports, 449 Composite. Bell showed up at 453 on the Composite. Diarra wasn't ranked anywhere, which isn't surprising, given his injury history.

None of them cracked the Rivals Top 150, nor the Future150 rankings. Interestingly, Rivals has both Collins and Hargrove ranked 43rd at their respective positions.

41 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

Who in IL or Mo was playing better at the end of the season than collins or hargrove.Bell is very intriguing to me. Anyone who can lose a hundred lbs and earn a d1 scholly, i tip my cap. I hope he is a pleasant surprise

i would say ej liddell who led his team to the second consecutive state championship in the largest school level was likely better than collins and hargrove.  

8 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i would say ej liddell who led his team to the second consecutive state championship in the largest school level was likely better than collins and hargrove.  

Better? Yes

playing better at the end of the year? Debatable 

dennis_w likes this

I think the write up is decent ---- anything that spurs debate. 

HP:  I know their rankings are for the recently completed year.  And Goodwin (rated #8 in the preseason rankings if memory serves) didn't make this Top 25.  I thought my statement "how is that possible" was rife with sarcasm ....  as broy pointed out to me in the blue font response on page 1.  To me, these rankings validate my "evaluation"  but many will claim I'm jumping on the kid.  Not true ----- I'd take him over Gilyard, Carry, Honor, and a few other of these so-called Top 25.  But tons of improvement, especially in the shooting skills of the game, is still needed.  And I expect him to do just that ...................... or the season will be lost.  

Ditto French.  Ditto Thatch.  Going to need strong upper class leadership to offset what we lost plus six newcomers.  Can't wait to see how it develops.

6 hours ago, dlarry said:

Better? Yes

playing better at the end of the year? Debatable 

You do realize ej was playing, no dominating, the biggest and best schools in the state.   Hargrove was playing much smaller schools.   

Same with yuri.   

I watched most of Liddell's games this year.   He was far and away the best player in the st louis metro area.  

almaman likes this

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

You do realize ej was playing, no dominating, the biggest and best schools in the state.   Hargrove was playing much smaller schools.   

Same with yuri.   

I watched most of Liddell's games this year.   He was far and away the best player in the st louis metro area.  

i am sure you are right, but i am a billiken homer so go yuri and hargrove, cant wait to see them in blue

SLU_Lax and drkelsey55 like this

54 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Same with yuri.   

I’m not doubting Liddell as the best player in the metro area but Hargrove and Collins both willed their teams to championship games while playing out of their minds.

You play the teams that are put in front of you and Collins and Hargrove were both playing just as well as Liddell during their state title chases.

20 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

+1

Goodwin has certainly been a good player for us these past 2 years.   Raw stats alone prove this.   But his athleticism and ability to rebound have been really special.  Certainly one of my favorites.  With that said, concerns about our offense, ball movement and "true" point guard skills have abounded.  This year is the year for Goodwin to take his game to a new level and put criticism behind him/team.  The bad news is we will be without our 2 grad Seniors - yet the good news for Goodwin will be that we will be without our 2 grad Seniors.   This will be Goodwins team.  And if Jimerson can knock down the open 3 ball, spacing will be there and we could have a very special combination --- Goodwin slashing/scoring and Jimerson firing from the outside.

French has been a beast since his arrival.  Intimidating, strength, interior skills from the start of his Freshman year.  Again, the raw stats alone prove how good has been these past 2 years.  At the same time, when the team did not win enough, criticism flowed.   Abit of a Soph slump for French?  Impact of having to share time/play with Gordon?  Lack of perimeter game more to blame?  Not enough help from Foreman who played injured most of the past season?  This is the year for French also to take his game to the next level.   French needs to lead by example.   He needs to cut down on the number of fouls.   And he must be average/decent from the FT as we will need him to put the team on his shoulders/back down the stretch in close game - not taken out bc of foul trouble or FT liability.

Quality Is Job 1 likes this

22 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Who cares where a player is ranked in high school.  Star ratings don't put points up on the scoreboard. 

I mean, im sure stats back up that 5 stars average more than 4 stars who average more than 3 stars.  I understand the star ranking, but don't think its everything. I just hate the "who cares if he is a 3 star of 5 star", thats a pretty big deal. 

cgeldmacher and dlarry like this

20 hours ago, ACE said:

I'm concerned that our shooting will still be a problem. Lewis was a big loss.

im concerned about or FG shooting, I think we improve on 3pt%.  Other than French and jgood Im not confident on anyone who can score down low.