144 started already

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a pretty fair write up (I only had a couple complaints). 

It did remind me that I personally had somehow forgotten how turnover prone we we’re and that while we’ve talked about our hopes for improved shooting that the other key may be reducing turnovers. 

31 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Still waiting on my beer from my brilliant prediction last year @bauman

Curious, just checked, we were #53 last year.  That was rather optimistic. End of the year NET has us 107, & Pomeroy #106. Real Time does have us at #83. 

This is about right.  Sixth in A10.  Meaning behind Davidson, VCU, Dayton, Rhode Island and who?  Richmond?  The Bunnies?  A10 Talk has Richmond owning two of last year's top ten players in Golden and Gilyard.  And Sherrod is back.  I don't have a lot of internal fortitude to believe Welch, Osunniyi and Lofton can do enough to put them ahead of us,  So we shall see.

By the way, A10 Talk didn't list Goodwin in it's Top Twenty Five.  How Is that even possible?

7 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

By the way, A10 Talk didn't list Goodwin in it's Top Twenty Five.  How Is that even possible?

probably because they read the billiken board and some guy there said he needs a lot of work. 

The write up says:

Five freshmen also join the Billikens this season, none of which are ranked higher than 3-star prospects. Point guard Yuri Collins is the highest ranked of the group as a top-250 recruit.

is this true?  I thought Jimerson was rather highly ranked?  and ranked higher than Yuri

29 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

This is about right.  Sixth in A10.  Meaning behind Davidson, VCU, Dayton, Rhode Island and who?  Richmond?  The Bunnies?  A10 Talk has Richmond owning two of last year's top ten players in Golden and Gilyard.  And Sherrod is back.  I don't have a lot of internal fortitude to believe Welch, Osunniyi and Lofton can do enough to put them ahead of us,  So we shall see.

The Bonnies finished two games ahead of us last year and only lost one significant player.  They have one of the best point guards in the league and arguably the best coach in the league. If they finish outside the top 5 I'll be shocked.

CBFan likes this

I think sixth is probably about right.  Sixth is where we finished last season.  I just think the national ranking number is about 25-35 spots off.  You could even finish below sixth in the A10 and be better than 143 nationally this coming season.  The A10 will be much stronger this season.

TheChosenOne likes this

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think sixth is probably about right.  Sixth is where we finished last season.  I just think the national ranking number is about 25-35 spots off.  You could even finish below sixth in the A10 and be better than 143 nationally this coming season.  The A10 will be much stronger this season.

You think we're better than Richmond with everyone back plus Sherrod? We barely beat them last year when we were playing our best basketball.

42 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

12 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The Bonnies finished two games ahead of us last year and only lost one significant player.  They have one of the best point guards in the league and arguably the best coach in the league. If they finish outside the top 5 I'll be shocked.

They lost Stockard and Griffin, their first- and third-leading scorers. They have a couple great rising sophomores, including as you say one of the best PGs in the league (who basically took over for senior PG Lofton this past season). But they had enough roster turnover to make an outsider hesitate to pick them higher.

VCU, Davidson, Dayton, and Rhode Island are no-brainers for the top 4.

5-9 is where it gets interesting because you can make arguments for or against Bonaventure, Duquesne, Richmond, SLU, and Mason. I have them in roughly that order. Duquesne would've been an easy #5 for me if Williams had returned. Richmond has almost everyone back and a ton of pressure to make a leap.

TheChosenOne likes this

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

They lost Stockard and Griffin, their first- and third-leading scorers. They have a couple great rising sophomores, including as you say one of the best PGs in the league (who basically took over for senior PG Lofton this past season). But they had enough roster turnover to make an outsider hesitate to pick them higher.

VCU, Davidson, Dayton, and Rhode Island are no-brainers for the top 4.

5-9 is where it gets interesting because you can make arguments for or against Bonaventure, Duquesne, Richmond, SLU, and Mason. I have them in roughly that order. Duquesne would've been an easy #5 for me if Williams had returned. Richmond has almost everyone back and a ton of pressure to make a leap.

The Bonnies lost even more talent last year and won 12 conference games. Picking them outside the top 5 given their track record the last five years seems bizarre to me.

Richmond finished 203 last season in Pomeroy's ratings.  Heading into last season Mason was the team many thought would make a huge move because of who they brought back and the edition of Reuter. They improved going from 220 to 156, but didn't make close to the jump many were expecting.  Expecting a jump of 100 around spots out of Richmond is asking for a lot

I think we are going to need a breakout scorer to finish top 5 in conference.  

Thatch, Goodwin and French will D up.  But whose gonna hit a shot? GJ and Perkins hopefully.

Relying on Slu newcomers is never a good position to be in though 

23 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Richmond finished 203 last season in Pomeroy's ratings.  Heading into last season Mason was the team many thought would make a huge move because of who they brought back and the edition of Reuter. They improved going from 220 to 156, but didn't make close to the jump many were expecting.  Expecting a jump of 100 around spots out of Richmond is asking for a lot

Frankly I don't believe Richmond will have to improve 100 spots to finish above us. With all the new guys I think we're going to struggle early and take our lumps in conference before we figure out how to win on the road.

We could be playing good ball by the end of the year but have a .500 conference record to show for it.