NCAA announces that Level 1 violations are coming

slu72

Surprised no one has mentioned this before now, but the NCAA announced last week Level 1 violations will be announced against 6 programs in early July. Now I have no idea what Level 1 charges mean, but I'm guessing it's more than a slap on the wrist and might involve loss of scholies and/or banishment from post season play. While they did not name names, the press is surmising the 6 programs will involve some of the elites. Louisville, Arizona, and, possibly, KU come to mind. I think you can probably add LSU to the list as well.

In addition the press said there are a total of 20 programs that have been put under the investigative microscope. One of the reports I read mentioned KU's recruitment of Zion Williamson that seemed a little swampy. Of course, only God will know how he ended up at Duke, as coach K will surely not be tarnished. After all, there are sacred cows and then there's the Sacred Golden Cows when it comes to college hoops; see Duke and UNC.

Point in bringing this up is the recruitment of 2019 kids. If  the big elite programs like UL, AZ and KU get hit with major violations what options are open to these kids? My guess would be they'd be granted an immediate release and could head elsewhere if they so choose. Hard to imagine the NCAA would take such bold action against some of the Royalty programs of college hoops, but if the FBI's got the goods on these guys it may be out of their hands.

Also, a guy like Luk Wor who KU is supposedly after may want to wait until he gets a better read on their future status.

3 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Surprised no one has mentioned this before now, but the NCAA announced last week Level 1 violations will be announced against 6 programs in early July. Now I have no idea what Level 1 charges mean, but I'm guessing it's more than a slap on the wrist and might involve loss of scholies and/or banishment from post season play. While they did not name names, the press is surmising the 6 programs will involve some of the elites. Louisville, Arizona, and, possibly, KU come to mind. I think you can probably add LSU to the list as well.

In addition the press said there are a total of 20 programs that have been put under the investigative microscope. One of the reports I read mentioned KU's recruitment of Zion Williamson that seemed a little swampy. Of course, only God will know how he ended up at Duke, as coach K will surely not be tarnished. After all, there are sacred cows and then there's the Sacred Golden Cows when it comes to college hoops; see Duke and UNC.

Point in bringing this up is the recruitment of 2019 kids. If  the big elite programs like UL, AZ and KU get hit with major violations what options are open to these kids? My guess would be they'd be granted an immediate release and could head elsewhere if they so choose. Hard to imagine the NCAA would take such bold action against some of the Royalty programs of college hoops, but if the FBI's got the goods on these guys it may be out of their hands.

Also, a guy like Luk Wor who KU is supposedly after may want to wait until he gets a better read on their future status.

after the joke North carolina investigation and results for their obvious academic fraud, i have no confidence that the ncaa will EVER do anything to the blue bloods.   mark my word, beyond possibly making them fire a coach and or staff, nothing is gonna happen. 

TheChosenOne and Zink like this

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

after the joke North carolina investigation and results for their obvious academic fraud, i have no confidence that the ncaa will EVER do anything to the blue bloods.   mark my word, beyond possibly making them fire a coach and or staff, nothing is gonna happen. 

Broy, I agree the UNC case was a travesty and totally went against everything the NCAA was created to prevent. So, you may be right that it will all amount to a slap on the wrist w/ some HC's getting suspended for early season exhibition games, or some such nonsensical punishment. The difference in this matter though is the FBI's involved. If, big if, there are indictments being handed down, the NCAA may be forced to take stronger measures. But I won't be surprised if this is all just another one of their half a*& attempts at making it look like they're doing their job.

Punishments are handed down to the lesser programs to make it look like the NCAA is really doing something without losing any money.

The Missouri football program is a good example of the bias.  I would bet Alabama would not be punished like Missouri if they reported on themselves about tutors taking tests.  Alabama would be praised for their integrity.

9 hours ago, CBFan said:

Punishments are handed down to the lesser programs to make it look like the NCAA is really doing something without losing any money.

The Missouri football program is a good example of the bias.  I would bet Alabama would not be punished like Missouri if they reported on themselves about tutors taking tests.  Alabama would be praised for their integrity.

In fairness - I believe it was only one tutor?