The best year ever in STL Sports

bauman

It is a good start of being one but could improve by 2 GT signings, Cardinals in the playoffs and early signings of Bradford and Kasubke

1 hour ago, bauman said:

The Billikens go on a incredible run in the A-10 tournament winning 4 in a row to make the Tournament AND the Blues win the Stanley Cup for the first time ever!  This has to top any other year for STL natives/sports fans. 

1999/2000

1.) Rams win Super Bowl

2.) Cards win Central division

3.) Blues win President's Cup

4. Billikens win Conference USA tourney

I'm sure Mizzou probably did something OK that year, but who cares.

Littlebill likes this

1 hour ago, SShoe said:

1999/2000

1.) Rams win Super Bowl

2.) Cards win Central division

3.) Blues win President's Cup

4. Billikens win Conference USA tourney

I'm sure Mizzou probably did something OK that year, but who cares.

I had a feeling this period would show up in this thread in the first few replies. That was also when STL was coming off the 1998 McGwire-Sosa HR race and flying high, and the Rams and Blues were both peaking (at least in the regular season, for the latter). The Sporting News named us the best sports city in the US around that time, as well.

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

It is a good start of being one but could improve by 2 GT signings, Cardinals in the playoffs and early signings of Bradford and Kasubke

Getting an MLS team would be a nice win for 2019.

If the Cards could make a run, having both a Stanley Cup and World Series in the same year would be impossible to top - unless you had another big win/event on top of our two high-level pro titles.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Getting an MLS team would be a nice win for 2019.

If the Cards could make a run, having both a Stanley Cup and World Series in the same year would be impossible to top - unless you had another big win/event on top of our two high-level pro titles.

Thank you for reminding me about the MLS team that would be the cherry on top.

46 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Probably, no one on this board was born then, not even me.

I play hoops with 2 old fa*ts who were - one might have gone - he would’ve been 5 & eventually played for SLU - Frank Zavadil.  I met him in a 60+ league in Venice FL 👍

1 hour ago, Major Majerus said:

I play hoops with 2 old fa*ts who were - one might have gone - he would’ve been 5 & eventually played for SLU - Frank Zavadil.  I met him in a 60+ league in Venice FL 👍

Wow! are they still playing hoops?

28 minutes ago, SShoe said:

Sept. 2011 through Aug. 2012 was the best of times

Sept. 2010 through Aug. 2011 was the worst of times

Indeed.

October 2011- Cards win World Series

March/April 2012- Blues won the old Central Division that year and won a playoff series against San Jose.

March 2012- Bills returned to the dance, beat Memphis in the first round, and took Draymond Green and Michigan St. down to the final minute in the second round.

1 hour ago, GoSluBills said:

March 2012- Bills returned to the dance, beat Memphis in the first round, and took Draymond Green and Michigan St. down to the final minute in the second round.

Should have won that game. Draymonds non-called flagrant on Ellis looks even more flagranty knowing what we know about how dirty Draymond is. 

On 6/13/2019 at 6:52 PM, Old guy said:

Wow! are they still playing hoops?

Yes - Frank has vision probs but u can’t leave him alone.  Dan is dead eyed from the 3 pt line... but we only score 1 pt at a time.  Wednesday & Friday 10 am Sunset Hills Community Ctr