House

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

hot take: id welcome him back 

I wouldn't because I dont think he'll ever turn it around. Wouldn't want to waste development time with other players for the 2.9% chance he stays more than 2 months. 

billiken_roy likes this

i dont want anything to do with him.  he made his bed.   we should be glad he is no longer our problem.   

1 hour ago, NextYearBill said:

hot take: id welcome him back 

I wanted to "Bad Post" this, but I don't think that is the spirit of the reactions.

If Gordon had shown in some way that he'd matured while at JUCO, then sure I'd take him probably back.  However, he's now cycled through 2 other programs and left.  He's even more of a liability now than when we first signed him.  No way I'd take him back at this point.

Bills71 and JohnnyJumpUp like this

2 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Gordon can't even live on his own in St. Louis. Imagine him trying to navigate Instanbul solo. It's actually quite sad.

But maybe that's just what he needs.  Get away.  Get a different perspective on the world.  Be forced to be self-reliant.  Nothing in this country has worked for him.

brianstl likes this

17 hours ago, NH said:

Gordon’s list of off-the-court issues are very long and varied, both in high school and college. The SLU coaches were well aware of his issues coming into college, and were unable to fix them. Corey Tate spent many an afternoon talking to the Webster coaches about Carteare not going to class or fighting with teammates. It’s pretty clear Carteare has a real issue, and is unlikely to get his life together anytime soon. That said, it still weirds me out that a few people on this board seem to be rooting for him to continue to throw his life away, just because he transferred.

Don’t be weirded. Believe you are misperceiving things.  Most truly don’t care.  I don’t care. Some may privately smile or think to themselves - karma - but so what?people think all kinds of things. 
But why the obsession to wish him well and not also the thousands of other tragic cases ?

4 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Don’t be weirded. Believe you are misperceiving things.  Most truly don’t care.  I don’t care. Some may privately smile or think to themselves - karma - but so what?people think all kinds of things. 
But why the obsession to wish him well and not also the thousands of other tragic cases ?

There are thousands of cases of nationally ranked recruits coming to SLU and then transferring twice in a year and seemingly throwing their life away?

And you want him to comment specifically about thousands of different tragic cases?

SLUperman likes this

8 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Quite possible that I'm incorrectly perceiving things, fair enough. No particular obsession with wishing him well, it's just a topic that gets brought up on the board with some regularity, and that has been my reaction to it each time. I also, like many on this board, have a tendency to spend an unhealthy amount of time thinking about Billiken basketball, so I think it only makes sense that I would think about this situation more than the "thousands of other tragic cases."

NextYearBill likes this

2 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

But maybe that's just what he needs.  Get away.  Get a different perspective on the world.  Be forced to be self-reliant.  Nothing in this country has worked for him.

He has "gotten away" twice since leaving SLU. If you honestly believe living in a foreign country is just what he needs  you are a greater man (or woman) than I am. His issues are much deeper than a change of location.  Not to say that certain external/environmental factors wouldn't help him but his primary issues seem to be internal, not external. 

Horrible example but I've known a few self-described alcoholics who thought that by simply changing cities their problems would be solved. Their problems followed them. For some, it's possible. For most? Eh. It takes a lot more than moving. But I'm a glass 3/4 empty kinda guy.

Also not sure how Euro/Latin American/Australian organizations operate. Is it common to spend limited resources on risky talent? I'd imagine each league is different. Gordon has such a high ceiling but 3 college teams in less than a year is a giant red flag.

Nobody should celebrate the problems any kid/person has - we all should be praying that he finds himself since any lost person is not in the best interest of any of us.  That being said, people who have problems getting along with others and understanding that they are responsible for their own behavior never seem to be able to right themselves just by going some place else.  If he goes to Europe or some place similar it would be slim odds that he would not replicate the same issues.

5 hours ago, glazedandconfused said:

There are thousands of cases of nationally ranked recruits coming to SLU and then transferring twice in a year and seemingly throwing their life away?

And you want him to comment specifically about thousands of different tragic cases?

Pistol spends so much time tracking and following recruits - that yes, he then comments upon them - usually when they play against us, make an impact, etc.  To me, though, if they don't commit to SLU, they are "dead to me" if I can borrow the language from BRoy.   

But other than you, who says there are thousands of nationally ranked recruits coming to SLU...?   Not me.

Again, why should I care about Gordon any more than I should care about any other St. Louis basketball who chose a school other than SLU - and who struggled or not? Never got to "know" him through the team/games/interviews... Some exceptions I admit: such as Jason Tatum?   Yes, but largely b/c of his father (who I watched personally) and b/c he is/was damn good - playing for Duke/Celtics. Same thing with Tommie Liddel III"s - b/c of Tommie and the 4 years he gave to our program - but not b/c of his son.  But Gordon was here only a semester - not even a year.  Gordon can transfer to three times in a year and I don't care - other than good to know that his problems at SLU were not an indication of larger problem at SLU or with Coach Ford.  Gordon is more like s stranger - and I don't wish strangers good will or bad will.  Apparently you do.  Fine with me.

5 hours ago, NH said:

Quite possible that I'm incorrectly perceiving things, fair enough. No particular obsession with wishing him well, it's just a topic that gets brought up on the board with some regularity, and that has been my reaction to it each time. I also, like many on this board, have a tendency to spend an unhealthy amount of time thinking about Billiken basketball, so I think it only makes sense that I would think about this situation more than the "thousands of other tragic cases."

Fair enough.   But to me, Gordon was not here long enough for me get to "know" him, care about him, etc.  I don't recall a single interview with him.   I don't recall any good, funny stories about him. I don't recall him being friends with anyone on the team.  I don't recall any great games of his , though I can see had some good stats in some games. Instead,  I found out more about him after he left than when he was here - and what I heard was not positive.  Even still, not once did I post anything or leak such info.  Also, I read more quotes tweets from him after he left (and many where not kind things or consistent things from what he previously said while here at SLU). Wish him if you want - but he is at best, a stranger to me.  And at worst, he was not a good citizen or teammate here at SLU.  If you want to wish those types the all the best, go for it.   

AGB91 likes this

24 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Pistol spends so much time tracking and following recruits - that yes, he then comments upon them - usually when they play against us, make an impact, etc.  To me, though, if they don't commit to SLU, they are "dead to me" if I can borrow the language from BRoy.   

But other than you, who says there are thousands of nationally ranked recruits coming to SLU...?   Not me.

Again, why should I care about Gordon any more than I should care about any other St. Louis basketball who chose a school other than SLU - and who struggled or not? Never got to "know" him through the team/games/interviews... Some exceptions I admit: such as Jason Tatum?   Yes, but largely b/c of his father (who I watched personally) and b/c he is/was damn good - playing for Duke/Celtics. Same thing with Tommie Liddel III"s - b/c of Tommie and the 4 years he gave to our program - but not b/c of his son.  But Gordon was here only a semester - not even a year.  Gordon can transfer to three times in a year and I don't care - other than good to know that his problems at SLU were not an indication of larger problem at SLU or with Coach Ford.  Gordon is more like s stranger - and I don't wish strangers good will or bad will.  Apparently you do.  Fine with me.

Fair enough.   But to me, Gordon was not here long enough for me get to "know" him, care about him, etc.  I don't recall a single interview with him.   I don't recall any good, funny stories about him. I don't recall him being friends with anyone on the team.  I don't recall any great games of his , though I can see had some good stats in some games. Instead,  I found out more about him after he left than when he was here - and what I heard was not positive.  Even still, not once did I post anything or leak such info.  Also, I read more quotes tweets from him after he left (and many where not kind things or consistent things from what he previously said while here at SLU). Wish him if you want - but he is at best, a stranger to me.  And at worst, he was not a good citizen or teammate here at SLU.  If you want to wish those types the all the best, go for it.   

Ok boomer. 

MattyMo213 likes this

2 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Clock tower i don’t think you understood my post. I did not claim there are thousands of others like Carteare. I was implying there was no one to come through SLU with the same situation as him.

16 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Clock tower i don’t think you understood my post. I did not claim there are thousands of others like Carteare. I was implying there was no one to come through SLU with the same situation as him.

No.  I fully understood your post.  Like you, I did not claim there are thousands of other like Carteare coming thru SLU either.