Blues vs Bills

papal

All the excitement about the Blues march to the Stanley cup-justifiable.  ?Greatest sports happening in St Louis in 50 plus years.  Could you ever imagine Bills making it to final 4 or even winning it all?  Our loyal group of fans would go crazy folks!!!  

billiken_roy likes this

Even though the game against VT was bad the A10 tournament run was a fun ride and now we have the Blues playoff run a couple of months later for the big prize and we our enjoying another fun ride.

2019 has been a good year so far for our teams and if we can finish the year with a Stanley cup, 2 surprise GT signings and a World Series with the Cardinals it will be a championship year.

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

Even though the game against VT was bad the A10 tournament run was a fun ride and now we have the Blues playoff run a couple of months later for the big prize and we our enjoying another fun ride.

2019 has been a good year so far for our teams and if we can finish the year with a Stanley cup, 2 surprise GT signings and a World Series with the Cardinals it will be a championship year.

Odds on your events happening:

Blues win Stanley Cup--------------------------------80%

Signing 2 GT's--------------------------------------------10%              (Signing 1 GT------------50%)

Cards winning the WS--------------------------------.00001%    (So I'm saying there's a chance!) 😉

CBFan likes this

What level of SLU tourney success would you trade for a Stanley Cup or a World Series?

Not to take away the excitement I'm feeling for the Blues or have in the past for the Cards, but I would simply take a SLU appearance in the Final Four and probably even the Elite 8 over either of those two things.  

35 minutes ago, SShoe said:

What level of SLU tourney success would you trade for a Stanley Cup or a World Series?

Not to take away the excitement I'm feeling for the Blues or have in the past for the Cards, but I would simply take a SLU appearance in the Final Four and probably even the Elite 8 over either of those two things.  

while i am enjoying this blues run (i've watched more hockey in the last month than i have in watched total since brett hull left st louis) and i love major league baseball (other than billikens nothing is higher on my sports watch needs than major league baseball, if it involves the cardinals or the braves).   but nothing compares with my fantasy quest for a billiken final four.  nothing.     

AGB91 and SShoe like this

Just now, Brighton said:

Sadly, a SLU Final Four would be the talk of the town for a week. It's still a pro-Mizzou town.

people always say that, but it doesnt even take a final four to start to change the culture, even a sweet 16 starts to change things. 

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

people always say that, but it doesnt even take a final four to start to change the culture, even a sweet 16 starts to change things. 

The only way that will change is if they're in the Big East. More exposure on the big FOX network instead of CBS Sports Network. 

38 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Sadly, a SLU Final Four would be the talk of the town for a week. It's still a pro-Mizzou town.

Respectfully disagree, just like the Blues you would hear how long it’s took to get there from everyone.

Then coach Ford leaving for a better job would be constantly talked about until the next season begins.

Getting to the final four is as unusual as the Blues getting to the finals and winning games both are big news stories.

I thought the local stations did a good job of covering SLU after the tournament win against Dayton.

Happy Friday

1 hour ago, Brighton said:

i still have people coming up to me and talking about the Billikens in Brooklyn.   you are an AZZ

Right now, making the tournament alone is our buggaboo.  We don't get there enough to satisfy me.  And we all know how hard that can be.  Once that is achieved, then it comes to making a Sweet Sixteen --- something we've never done.  Then the Elite Eight.  Than and only then a Final Four.  

In the 80 year history of a Final Four, these teams have been there once:  Auburn, Charlotte, Duquesne, Drake,  Dayton, Florida State, Mason, Georgia, Gonzaga, Indiana State, Iowa State, Jacksonville, Umass, Minnesota, Mississippi State, New Mexico State, Notre Dame, Penn State, Penn, Pitt,  Princeton, Rutgers,  Snata Clara, Seattle, Seton Hall, SMU, South Carolina, St. Bonaventure, St. Joe's, Texas Tech, UTEP,  VCU, Wake Forest, Washington, Washington State, Western Kentucky and Wyoming.  And yes, some of that is ancient history (Duquesne 1940; Drake in 1969).  

In the last ten years, the only teams outside the P5 conferences to get there are Loyola, Gonzaga, Wichita State, and VCU.  The ten years prior to that, only Mason broke the mold.  So in the last 20 years, teams outside the elite are shooting at a 6.25% clip.  If the Bills did that, St. Louis should be New Year's Eve, Mardi Gras and Fourth of July all wrapped into one week. 

Of course, the front page sports story in the Post would be Mizzou's women's softball team losing a heartbreaker or pitchers and catcher playing extended toss in Florida.

Sustainability.  The first real measure of that in the Ford regime starts this year.  Can't wait.

billiken_roy likes this

Taj, I'm as big of an optimist regarding the Billikens as anyone else on this Board, BUT don't put your "first real measure of (sustainability or anything else) in the Ford regime" eggs all in the 2019-20 season basket.  Especially if your test requires a Tournament* bid next year.  Basically we have 3 players coming back.  Based on playing time I do not consider Jacobs or Hankton as returning vets.  To that group add in 6 new guys with 2 of the 6 not expected to be significant contributors next year.

With the top 3-4 A-10 teams coming back loaded, I think a Tournament* bid is a pipe dream next year.  To me the test is can TF keep all of these guys on the roster for the 2020-21 year when I am seeing us as having a chance to finish at the top of the A-10. I will be more than satisfied next year with 20 wins and a 5th-6th place finish in the league since I view it as a rebuilding year.

*  Old Guy,     References to the Tournament mean the NCAA Tournament.  If I, and others on this Board, talk about getting to a tournament (small t) that should include the NIT / CBI or whatever other post-season money losers are out there!  (Except for R & G's post, above.😉

57 minutes ago, bauman said:

Taj, I'm as big of an optimist regarding the Billikens as anyone else on this Board, BUT don't put your "first real measure of (sustainability or anything else) in the Ford regime" eggs all in the 2019-20 season basket.  Especially if your test requires a Tournament* bid next year.  Basically we have 3 players coming back.  Based on playing time I do not consider Jacobs or Hankton as returning vets.  To that group add in 6 new guys with 2 of the 6 not expected to be significant contributors next year.

With the top 3-4 A-10 teams coming back loaded, I think a Tournament* bid is a pipe dream next year.  To me the test is can TF keep all of these guys on the roster for the 2020-21 year when I am seeing us as having a chance to finish at the top of the A-10. I will be more than satisfied next year with 20 wins and a 5th-6th place finish in the league since I view it as a rebuilding year.

*  Old Guy,     References to the Tournament mean the NCAA Tournament.  If I, and others on this Board, talk about getting to a tournament (small t) that should include the NIT / CBI or whatever other post-season money losers are out there!  (Except for R & G's post, above.😉

Sorry, I meant NCAA Tournament. I don't care about the NIT. 

8 hours ago, bauman said:

All true.  

At the same time, Goodwin and French are both tough matchups who, if they improve certain weak parts of their game over the offseason, will have even more success and can be real leaders during this year -- as Juniors.   Their size and strength were tough to handle by opposition upperclassmen during their Frosh and Soph years but will even tougher this year as most of these upperclassmen have graduated/moved on.   And if Perkins is as good as advertised, being a JUCO, he could be special down the stretch next year (first half of the season will likely take awhile to adjust).   And if Jimerson knocks down the outside shots next year at the D1 college level as he has done in highschool/AAU, then despite being a Frosh, he alone will break zones and allow the rest of our guys (mostly slashers, scorers, etc.) to have success.   Sorry, I am not putting those 3-4 teams up on any pedestal.

Quality Is Job 1 likes this

32 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

All true.  

At the same time, Goodwin and French are both tough matchups who, if they improve certain weak parts of their game over the offseason, will have even more success and can be real leaders during this year -- as Juniors.   Their size and strength were tough to handle by opposition upperclassmen during their Frosh and Soph years but will even tougher this year as most of these upperclassmen have graduated/moved on.   And if Perkins is as good as advertised, being a JUCO, he could be special down the stretch next year (first half of the season will likely take awhile to adjust).   And if Jimerson knocks down the outside shots next year at the D1 college level as he has done in highschool/AAU, then despite being a Frosh, he alone will break zones and allow the rest of our guys (mostly slashers, scorers, etc.) to have success.   Sorry, I am not putting those 3-4 teams up on any pedestal.

I agree, but I will enter the season with lower expectations, because of how young the team will be.  But if Goodwin and French both play like first-team all A-10 players, as they are capable, then title contention and NCAA-Tournament worthiness are not out of the question.

Bauman ---- appreciate the feedback.  To clarify, not all my eggs are in that basket, rather, what i'm saying is it starts now on the Ford regime.  We have lived through the debacle of the [dead] years and Travis has weathered the course.  Last  year was six of one, half dozen of another ---- we were giddy as all get out to start and then it fell apart.  Then we recovered in a glorious week in Brooklyn.  That was fantastic and it also I believe relieved some pressure on Travis going forward.  I don't think its win now because of that so with the reprieve, I see now as the time to start building on to it. I have no expectations to put on this coming year, but do want to see improvement.  Can we return to the Dance?  Yes.  Are we favored to do so? Most likely no.

In case anyone has forgotten, Jordan Goodwin has tons of room for improvement.  Ditto Hasahn French.  But both are well above the average player in the A10 IMHO.  Thatch is a nice compliment but needs an offensive game.  Neither Hankton nor Jacobs are returning veterans by any stretch.  Some want to wax poetically on Perkins, Hargrove, Jimerson and Collins.  Most believe Bell and Diarra are projects as I do. But the sustainability I crave seems to be there ----- it is time for Travis to develop it, that's all.  No more mercenaries.  Mo more transfers from elsewhere (he can but he hasn't).  

Travis has leveled his playing field by overachieving last year.  I just look forward to seeing the development.  And that development will equal sustainability.  I want to see what progress we show this year ...... a Dance invite would be a stunning achievement given our roster and the strength of the A10 this time around.  But a Dance invite is not a needed measure of success as I see it this year.

Old guy likes this