Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
RiseAndGrind

Mike Lewis going Pro

Recommended Posts

do we know for sure it was the dukes and not nevada that blocked him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

do we know for sure it was the dukes and not nevada that blocked him?

Nevada lost their coach, so they cant block him or force him to stay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ACE said:

Dambrot is a loser. If he had not lucked into Lebron, he'd probably be stuck in Akron teaching high school PE.

Lebron James did not play college basketball - are you saying he played for him in high school?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Lebron James did not play college basketball - are you saying he played for him in high school?

Yes he was LeBron's he coach 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Did lewis give up early?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wgstl said:

 

Did lewis give up early?

This certainly changes the assumptions, doesn't it.  Earlier I questioned that "unforeseen complications" put a different spin on the issue.  Something besides the immediate eligibility issue is out there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2019 at 8:10 PM, Pistol said:

It doesn't matter whether it was Duquesne or Nevada or anyone else. The NCAA has the ultimate decision. They claim to have the interests of the student-athlete as their highest priority, but it's become increasingly clear over time what BS that is.

Lewis dealt with two coaching changes in his first three seasons. Regardless of when or where he transferred, he should be allowed to finish his academic and athletic career on his terms. If the NCAA truly believed in its mission statement, they would put Lewis in the position that leaves him most likely to earn a degree. They did the opposite. Lewis loses, SLU loses, fans lose, and it's not like the NCAA itself had anything to gain here. If they clear him, is there anyone who would actually complain?

And if the answer to that question is "Keith Dambrot" or another coach or administrator, why is that okay? Dambrot makes $1 million per year. If he complains about an unpaid player ending up in the same conference and having to play against him a year later, he deserves the worst. If the NCAA is going to allow a system where coaches make millions and players make nothing, the fact coaches or programs have any power over the players they shove out after the fact, it just makes it all the more disgusting.

Imagine making $1 million a year and then throwing a fit when a former player shows up in the same conference. (We don't know for sure this happened - just saying.)

What a morally bankrupt system.

While I agree with a lot of what you said in this post, I disagree with some as well.  SLU will do much better in a system that restricts transfers.   We will do worse in a system of unfettered transfering.  We will never get to where we want to the program to be if the good players we sign as freshmen are allowed to become free agents and sign with better schools.  We could lose French and/or Goodwin after next season if they have enough credits to graduate.

I know its hard when the rules bite us like they did here, but we'd rather have a system where a kid like Gordon has to consider sitting out before transferring to DePaul.  Like I said, I agree with much of your point, but a free transfer system is devastating to our path to the top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wgstl said:

 

Did lewis give up early?

I'm guessing that Lewis assumed that he would be immediately elligible, but was told by someone in SLU's compliance department that it was unlikely that he would be able to play first semester.  He then looked at going to class all summer, all fall, and all spring only to be eligible for play in the spring and decided it wasn't worth it when he could be playing for money in Europe or somewhere else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I'm guessing that Lewis assumed that he would be immediately elligible, but was told by someone in SLU's compliance department that it was unlikely that he would be able to play first semester.  He then looked at going to class all summer, all fall, and all spring only to be eligible for play in the spring and decided it wasn't worth it when he could be playing for money in Europe or somewhere else.

Just seems like an even bigger waste of time to leave college two semesters short of a degree when you could do one more year, play a little ball and be done with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Just seems like an even bigger waste of time to leave college two semesters short of a degree when you could do one more year, play a little ball and be done with it. 

especially when after 2-3 years in bulgaria he blows out a knee and then wants to come back and teach/coach but doesnt have the degree needed to be hired at a high school.   come on, have a little foresight.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

While I agree with a lot of what you said in this post, I disagree with some as well.  SLU will do much better in a system that restricts transfers.   We will do worse in a system of unfettered transfering.  We will never get to where we want to the program to be if the good players we sign as freshmen are allowed to become free agents and sign with better schools.  We could lose French and/or Goodwin after next season if they have enough credits to graduate.

I know its hard when the rules bite us like they did here, but we'd rather have a system where a kid like Gordon has to consider sitting out before transferring to DePaul.  Like I said, I agree with much of your point, but a free transfer system is devastating to our path to the top.

I never said anything about a free transfer system. I said the well-compensated coaches/programs who obstruct transfers and waivers are wrong to do so. The crux of the complaint is more with the waivers than the transfers, though.

I also don't necessarily agree that a free transfer system would be bad for SLU. It would probably be neutral.

At the very least, I think all signed players should be free to transfer and be eligible immediately if there is a coaching change at their current school. This would apply to incoming freshmen, as well, and assumes that all players complete current coursework - i.e. if coach leaves in March, finish the semester before heading off to your new school. This also gets rid of any dispute about whether a player was shoved out or decided to leave - which many waivers hinge upon currently - and it removes power from any coach/school/conference looking to stick it to a player for personal reasons.

I like rules that remove ambiguity from the process. Anything that takes away the ability for a ruling body such as the NCAA to make a decision behind closed doors is a net positive.

I'm curious to see what details are yet to come out about Lewis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, slu72 said:

My guess for Lewis choosing Nevada over SLU is Duquesne would have blocked him via the in conference rules for transfers. 

 

yep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something about this whole thing smells to me. Lewis says he is leaving with eligibility questions. SLU says they haven't been notified. Something is not right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, willie said:

Something about this whole thing smells to me. Lewis says he is leaving with eligibility questions. SLU says they haven't been notified. Something is not right. 

Maybe those credits for the Gambling 101 course he took at Nevada won't transfer over?

There is something beyond the simple request for immediate eligibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I never said anything about a free transfer system. I said the well-compensated coaches/programs who obstruct transfers and waivers are wrong to do so. The crux of the complaint is more with the waivers than the transfers, though.

I also don't necessarily agree that a free transfer system would be bad for SLU. It would probably be neutral.

At the very least, I think all signed players should be free to transfer and be eligible immediately if there is a coaching change at their current school. This would apply to incoming freshmen, as well, and assumes that all players complete current coursework - i.e. if coach leaves in March, finish the semester before heading off to your new school. This also gets rid of any dispute about whether a player was shoved out or decided to leave - which many waivers hinge upon currently - and it removes power from any coach/school/conference looking to stick it to a player for personal reasons.

I like rules that remove ambiguity from the process. Anything that takes away the ability for a ruling body such as the NCAA to make a decision behind closed doors is a net positive.

I'm curious to see what details are yet to come out about Lewis.

This is an interesting topic that probably deserves its own thread. I am in favor of signed players being immediately eligible ONLY if a coaching change is prompted by a coach getting fired.

BUT, If a coach is hired away to a "better" job, I don't want to see those signed players be allowed to leave and be immediately eligible. Under that scenario, the school that lost its coach (typically a mid-major) potentially gets screwed twice. The school could have done everything right, treating their coach well and playing by the rules, only to have a power school come in and steal their coach AND players.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading all the posts that point out the issue regarding transfers and immediate eligibility it is clear that this is a very complicated matter and simple approaches have their own drawbacks.  Maybe we were better when it was black and white - you transfer and you sit a year - period.  Of course I see where there would be instances when this would seem unfair.  Where is Solomon when we need him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i dont understand why i dont care.   is it because i really didnt see lewis affecting much other than taking time from collins, jimerson, perkins and hargrove when we will likely be lucky to be over 500 anyway this year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i dont understand why i dont care.   is it because i really didnt see lewis affecting much other than taking time from collins, jimerson, perkins and hargrove when we will likely be lucky to be over 500 anyway this year?

Yep & this is when the losses of Santos, Welmer and Gordon have their greatest impact. We’re in rebuild mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lewis could have played major minutes or he could have been outplayed by a newbie like he was at Duquesne. We'll never know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good chance we are going to be a poor shooting team again and now the depth suddenly comes into question again. Eleven man roster that includes two project bigs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

i dont understand why i dont care.   is it because i really didnt see lewis affecting much other than taking time from collins, jimerson, perkins and hargrove when we will likely be lucky to be over 500 anyway this year?

I know I’m always an optimist but this seems overly pessimistic. You have 3 major contributors coming back,a strong juco player  and several promising newcomers. I think you stated it in another post a lot of our success depends on French and Jordon  cleaning up there free throws. I think they can. 

Edited by willie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, willie said:

I know I’m always an optimist but this seems overly pessimistic. You have 3 major contributors coming back,a strong juco player  and several promising newcomers. I think you stated it in another post a lot of our success depends on French and Jordon  cleaning up there free throws. I think they can. 

I think there is enough talent returning and promising newcomers to be very optimistic and not just write off this year. coach ford felt another veteran was needed so he signed lewis. i think he will find another gt guard and plans on fielding a good team this year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, willie said:

I know I’m always an optimist but this seems overly pessimistic. You have 3 major contributors coming back,a strong juco player  and several promising newcomers. I think you stated it in another post a lot of our success depends on French and Jordon  cleaning up there free throws. I think they can. 

We have much less coming back than 4 of the teams ahead of us and two of the teams right behind us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...