Mike Lewis going Pro

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mixed emotions about this. Yes, he would have helped. Into the dance type help? Doubt it. This should open up minutes for Jacobs, so we can find out what we have with him. 

Since making the dance this year is a long shot, I'd just as soon develop our young guys. 

majerus mojo likes this

3 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Mixed emotions about this. Yes, he would have helped. Into the dance type help? Doubt it. This should open up minutes for Jacobs, so we can find out what we have with him. 

Since making the dance this year is a long shot, I'd just as soon develop our young guys. 

I agree, this season was a rebuild before this event.  I'm guessing Coach may get back on the recruiting trail and see if any GT shooters still need a home.  We didn't land Isabell or Wiley until last summer.

9 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Team specifics aside - i can’t imagine the NCAA has any good reason for denying his immediate eligibility.

this stinks 

I wonder if it’s even an immediate eligibility thing. Meaning he would have stayed if eligible in mid December. I have to believe they said he wouldn’t be eligible at all next season.

25 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I wonder if it’s even an immediate eligibility thing. Meaning he would have stayed if eligible in mid December. I have to believe they said he wouldn’t be eligible at all next season.

The NCAA is fu—Ed up. Mark Smith becomes immediately eligible at Missouri,yet this kid can’t play. Where is the consistency?

27 minutes ago, willie said:

The NCAA is fu—Ed up. Mark Smith becomes immediately eligible at Missouri,yet this kid can’t play. Where is the consistency?

Same with dru smith at Mizzou last year. His coach got fired and he transferred, but no waiver. I have no idea why Mark Smith got one without any complications other than not wanting to play at illinois. The NCAA makes zero sense

3 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Same with dru smith at Mizzou last year. His coach got fired and he transferred, but no waiver. I have no idea why Mark Smith got one without any complications other than not wanting to play at illinois. The NCAA makes zero sense

i would  bet it has more to do with the departing program ok than anything.  illinois pretty much ran mark smith off.  thus they were likely more than willing to give him an immediate release.  evansville wasnt as happy their smith flew the program.  thus no release for him.   we dont know if it was nevada or the dukes but i am betting one or the other or both said no dice.  

dennis_w likes this

4 hours ago, kshoe said:

It was probably this.  Unless it pertains to one of the NCAA's cash cows (North Carolina, Duke, etc.), the kangaroo court that is the NCAA likes to stick to the letter of their law.  Their "law" says that a transferring student athlete must spend two semesters in residence at the new school before being eligible.  For a favorite-son program, they might have granted a waiver, but because SLU doesn't drive the revenue bus for the NCAA, they said, "No," and they discredited even the semester at Nevada.

3 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Just because i hate Alford - i blame Alford 

My guess this has more to do with Duquesne, than it has to do with Nevada.  The A10 to A10 transfer rules are far more restrictive than the NCAA.  If the A10 determined a semester at Nevada wasn’t long enough away from an A10 school, he wouldn’t even be eligible for a scholarship this coming year at SLU if the Dukes didn’t give him a waiver.

Box and Won likes this

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

My guess this has more to do with Duquesne, than it has to do with Nevada.  The A10 to A10 transfer rules are far more restrictive than the NCAA.  If the A10 determined a semester at Nevada wasn’t long enough away from an A10 school, he wouldn’t even be eligible for a scholarship this coming year at SLU if the Dukes didn’t give him a waiver.

Then Dambrot is a real wussy 

4 hours ago, dlarry said:

giphy.gif

I'm pretty sure this is how they determine who is eligible and who is not.

Or maybe the NCAA said he must sit out the first semester since he played the first semester last year and Lewis said screw that.   Maybe that made it not worth it for him.