Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Billikenbooster said:

Those endless possibilities will lead to endless discussions with MBMs on how to maximize our performance 

mhg

Dat true. 

For me the most irreplaceable player on the squad is French.  Who really can hold the fort if he is out more than a few minutes at a time?  Those continuing to say Perkins is a PF, you need to read his interview.  Hankton, maybe he can handle a few more minutes inside than last year, but he was physically over matched inside last season.  Bell or Diarra, hopefully, but they need to prove it on the court, and one or the other might already he seeing significant minutes in the paint. 

For me, we have, hopefully, capable backups for everyone else......just not for French.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

24 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Dat true. 

For me the most irreplaceable player on the squad is French.  Who really can hold the fort if he is out more than a few minutes at a time?  Those continuing to say Perkins is a PF, you need to read his interview.  Hankton, maybe he can handle a few more minutes inside than last year, but he was physically over matched inside last season.  Bell or Diarra, hopefully, but they need to prove it on the court, and one or the other might already he seeing significant minutes in the paint. 

For me, we have, hopefully, capable backups for everyone else......just not for French.

We don't have a power forward but that's where the minutes are. French can't start at both frontcourt spots. Some combination of Perkins, Hargrove and Hankton will have to handle the PF responsibilities. If you're going to be weak defensively at one position, the 4 is a pretty good one. Not many productive power forwards in the A10.

On the flip side, I see very few power forwards capable of guarding Perkins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Im still decently high on Hankton. I liked what I saw in limited action, and his main weakness was that he wasnt physical enough, looks like hes fixing that. 

I agree with this. I think Hankton isn't getting much love around here but could be a critical piece at the 4, especially with the added bulk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NashvilleBilliken said:

I agree with this. I think Hankton isn't getting much love around here but could be a critical piece at the 4, especially with the added bulk.

Same with Weaver. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

 



 

 

 

good, i can leave early sat and have a whole day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

 



 

 

 

Guess I'm signing up for ESPN+

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be attending this one. Still thinking about Tulane in Phoenix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How big are the A10 Bigs?

Info from Verbal Commits. Did not include walk on, or Fordham.

Davidson

Luka Brakovic 6, 10 250 so 2*

Nelson Broachie 6, 8 220 so 2*

David Kristensen 6, 10 210 fr 2*

Dayton

Jordy Tshimanga 6, 11 268 jr 3*

Chase Johnson 6, 9 219 jr 3*

Obadiah Toppin 6, 9 220 so 2*

Moulaye Sissoko 6, 9 248 fr 3*

Duquene

Baylee Steele 6,11 240 sr 2*

Michael Hughes 6, 8 240 jr 2*

Austin Rotroff 6, 8 240 so 3*

Amari Kelly 6, 9 230 so 2*

James Ellis 6, 11 237 fr 2*

George Mason 

Greg Calixte 6, 8 227 jr 2*

Josh Oduro 6, 9 237 fr 2*

George Wash

Arnaldo Toro 6, 8 248 sr 2.7*

Javier Langarrca 6, 9 228 jr 2*

Sloan Seymour 6, 9 205 jr 2*

Chase Paar 6, 9 220 fr 2*

LaSalle 

Moustapha Diagne 6, 9 230 sr 4*

Clifton Moore jr.  6, 10 220 jr 4*

Ed Crosswell 6, 8 250 so 2*

Brandon Stone 6, 11 200 fr 3*

U Mass

Djery Bapptiste. 6, 10 245 sr 3.5*

Sy Chatman 6, 8 220 so 2*

The Mitchell 6, 9 240 fr 4*

Rhode Is

Cyril Langevine 6, 8 225 sr 2.7*

Jermaine Harris 6, 8 220 so 4*

Richmond

Grant Golden 6, 10 255 sr 2.5*

Souleymane Koureissi 6, 9 215 so 3*

Matt Grace 6, 9 230 so 2*

St. Joe

Taylor Funk 6, 8 230 jr 3*

Lorenzo Edwards 6, 8 215 jr 2*

Anthony Longpre 6, 10 245 jr. 2*

St. Bon

Amadi Ikpeze 6, 10 245 sr 2*

Osun Osunniyi 6, 10 215 so 2*

Justin Winston 6, 8 220 fr 3*

Robert Carpenter 6, 8 215 fr 2*

VCU

Marcus Silva 6, 7 250 jr 3*

Corey Douglas 6, 8 220 jr 2*

Hansen Ward 6, 9 200 fr 2*

SLU

Hasan French 6, 7 245 jr 3.3*

KC Hankton 6, 7 215 so 2*

Jimmy Bell 6, 11 270 fr 3*

Madani Diarra 6, 10 240 fr 2*

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aquinas said:

How big are the A10 Bigs?

Info from Verbal Commits. Did not include walk on, or Fordham.

Davidson

Luka Brakovic 6, 10 250 so 2*

Nelson Broachie 6, 8 220 so 2*

David Kristensen 6, 10 210 fr 2*

Dayton

Jordy Tshimanga 6, 11 268 jr 3*

Chase Johnson 6, 9 219 jr 3*

Obadiah Toppin 6, 9 220 so 2*

Moulaye Sissoko 6, 9 248 fr 3*

Duquene

Baylee Steele 6,11 240 sr 2*

Michael Hughes 6, 8 240 jr 2*

Austin Rotroff 6, 8 240 so 3*

Amari Kelly 6, 9 230 so 2*

James Ellis 6, 11 237 fr 2*

George Mason 

Greg Calixte 6, 8 227 jr 2*

Josh Oduro 6, 9 237 fr 2*

George Wash

Arnaldo Toro 6, 8 248 sr 2.7*

Javier Langarrca 6, 9 228 jr 2*

Sloan Seymour 6, 9 205 jr 2*

Chase Paar 6, 9 220 fr 2*

LaSalle 

Moustapha Diagne 6, 9 230 sr 4*

Clifton Moore jr.  6, 10 220 jr 4*

Ed Crosswell 6, 8 250 so 2*

Brandon Stone 6, 11 200 fr 3*

U Mass

Djery Bapptiste. 6, 10 245 sr 3.5*

Sy Chatman 6, 8 220 so 2*

The Mitchell 6, 9 240 fr 4*

Rhode Is

Cyril Langevine 6, 8 225 sr 2.7*

Jermaine Harris 6, 8 220 so 4*

Richmond

Grant Golden 6, 10 255 sr 2.5*

Souleymane Koureissi 6, 9 215 so 3*

Matt Grace 6, 9 230 so 2*

St. Joe

Taylor Funk 6, 8 230 jr 3*

Lorenzo Edwards 6, 8 215 jr 2*

Anthony Longpre 6, 10 245 jr. 2*

St. Bon

Amadi Ikpeze 6, 10 245 sr 2*

Osun Osunniyi 6, 10 215 so 2*

Justin Winston 6, 8 220 fr 3*

Robert Carpenter 6, 8 215 fr 2*

VCU

Marcus Silva 6, 7 250 jr 3*

Corey Douglas 6, 8 220 jr 2*

Hansen Ward 6, 9 200 fr 2*

SLU

Hasan French 6, 7 245 jr 3.3*

KC Hankton 6, 7 215 so 2*

Jimmy Bell 6, 11 270 fr 3*

Madani Diarra 6, 10 240 fr 2*

 

 

Great.  Now here is a list of the starters at the 4, followed by their production.  Only two players getting anything done in the paint, Toppin and 6'5 Marcus Weathers.  I'll throw in La Salle's soph, Jared Kimbrough.  He came on strong at the end of last year.

VCU, Corey Douglas 6'8  Jr 210  3.5 ppg 3.5 rpg

Davidson, Kishawn Pritchett Sr 6'6 225  6.9ppg  3.6 rpg

Dayton, Obi Toppin, 6'9 220  So 14.4ppg 5.6 rpg

St. Bonaventure, Robert Carpenter Fr (projected, starter graduated) 6'8 215  N/A

Rhode Island, Jermaine Harris So 6'8 220 4.4 ppg 2.8 rpg

Duquesne, Marcus Weathers Jr 6'5 215 10 ppg 6.4 rpg

Richmond, Nathan Cayo Jr 6'7 225 12.9 ppg 4.2 rpg

George Mason, Jordan Miller So 6'6 189  10.4 ppg 7.4 rpg

George Washingon, Javier Langarica Jr 6'9 228  5.6 ppg 5.3 rpg

La Salle, Jared Kimbrough So 6'8 220  5.0 ppg 4.9 rpg

St Joseph, Taylor Funk Jr 6'9 232  8.4 ppg 5.5 rpg

UMass, Sy Chatman So (projected, starter transferred) 6'8 220 3.7 ppg 2.2 ppg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

I never saw the kid play but Hargrove looks like he could play power forward.....

He can play both forward positions imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

while hargrove was a stellar high school player and excelled inside, keep in mind that is versus high school centers that typically might be 6'2 or even smaller.   the hasan french's of the high school ranks (which typifies closer to the pf's at the D1 level) arent that common of a high school opponent.  

when hargrove did meet up with one of that caliber for example, ej liddell, liddell typically bested him in points and rebounds almost 2--1.   i am not afraid of hargrove doing ok work playing power forward, but we would much rather have him develop as a high flying wing than banging in the paint.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

while hargrove was a stellar high school player and excelled inside, keep in mind that is versus high school centers that typically might be 6'2 or even smaller.   the hasan french's of the high school ranks (which typifies closer to the pf's at the D1 level) arent that common of a high school opponent.  

when hargrove did meet up with one of that caliber for example, ej liddell, liddell typically bested him in points and rebounds almost 2--1.   i am not afraid of hargrove doing ok work playing power forward, but we would much rather have him develop as a high flying wing than banging in the paint.   

There are only three proficient bangers at the power forward in the A10: Toppin, 6'5 Marcus Weathers at Duquesne and the Kimbrough kid at La Salle.  The other top paint threats in the A10, Grant Golden, Marcus Santos-Silva, French, etc. log most of their minutes at center. It's pretty rare for a mid-major team to have two productive post players at the 4 and 5. Even our nonconference slate is noticeably short on legitimate post threats at power forward.  Most 4s these days are stretch fours, i.e. wannabe perimeter players.

Right now Hargrove is only 6'6 195.  I could easily see him being a top-line power forward in the A10 two years from now at 215.  That's where the minutes are.  And he could play exactly the way on offense as he would at small forward.  It just changes who he has to defend.  TJ has aspirations of playing in the NBA -- he's going to have to get used to defending 6'8 perimeter players.  Kawhi Leonard was a 6'7 power forward at San Diego State.  What better role model for TJ than him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SLU lists Hargrove at 6, 4 195, and looking at the team picture he looks a couple of inches shorter than French. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must be way off about Hargrove’s position, I see him as a SF who can guard the 2 more than the 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I must be way off about Hargrove’s position, I see him as a SF who can guard the 2 more than the 4

You're not way off.   Yes, it's true:  Perkins, Hargrove and Hankton are all small forwards.  It's also true that French is our starting center.  Someone has to guard the opposing 4.  And considering we don't have anybody qualified to play heavy minutes at the 4, all of those guys will have to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hoping to see significant minutes with Bell at the 5. If he can hold his own, French will dominate as a 4. I also think KC will make significant contributions in the rotation. Madani is the one big that we have not had any reports on.  Perkins might be the wing best suited to play the 4 with his JC experience and height, but the article about him made it look like he is better suited to the wing position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

French warming up for the dunk contest (french, jgood, thatch, jacobs and hargrove are the participants):

Gotta go with TJ, but this is pretty damn impressive for a guy HF's size. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

French warming up for the dunk contest (french, jgood, thatch, jacobs and hargrove are the participants):

Gotta go with TJ, but this is pretty damn impressive for a guy HF's size. 

I'll take Thatch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-i"ll take I hope they have a great time and don't get hurt 

Thought the exact same thing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...