2019-20 Season

8 minutes ago, bauman said:

I just finished reading an article in The Athletic and it had an interesting comment about Roy Williams (UNC) and his preferences regarding roster construction.  It said he wants 3 PGs on his teams.  It made me think that we might very well be where one of the all-time leading winners wants to be, with  JG, YC and either TW or DJ

Roy recruits multiple high-level ballhandlers.  We have one, Yuri.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Roy recruits multiple high-level ballhandlers.  We have one, Yuri.

I didn't men to imply that our 3 or 4 players are the equal of UNC's, but rather that TF's roster construction makes sense.  I am not certain that Weaver or Jacobs can handle the role, but some on here have talked about the possibility, at least as a third option.

Not sure where to put this:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Source: Former Drake head coach Ray Giacoletti is joining Travis Ford&#39;s staff at Saint Louis as special assistant to the head coach.</p>&mdash; Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) <a href="https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1176588209226207233?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 24, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8 minutes ago, wgstl said:
Jordan Goodwin arrived at SLU weighing 240. As a freshman he played around 220 and as a freshman at 210. He’s now close to 200 and doesn’t plan to go above 205.

I assume that means "as a soph at 210" since he repeated freshman twice.  210 versus 200 or 205 isn't that much of a difference.  As long as Jordan is strong enough to grab offensive rebounds and bully smaller guards around the basket, his playing a few pounds lighter is probably good, but not a game changer.

7 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I assume that means "as a soph at 210" since he repeated freshman twice.  210 versus 200 or 205 isn't that much of a difference.  As long as Jordan is strong enough to grab offensive rebounds and bully smaller guards around the basket, his playing a few pounds lighter is probably good, but not a game changer.

he looks noticeably thinner.  I doubt he lost any muscle, he always had a little extra body fat to lose. 

Wow does this upcoming season intrigue me. I look at this roster, and I see infinite lineup scenarios and such a range of skill sets. Do you play and prefer the quick playmaker Yuri at point or the physical Goodwin? Do you play them together with Goodwin on the wing? Do you play the lights our shooter Gibson on the wing or the super strong defender Thatch or raw scorer Perkins? How do you combine those minutes? Does French man the middle or do you pair him with the hyper athletic Hargrove or big and strong Bell? Where do Hankton and Jacobs fit in? Will Diarra earn minutes? We could actually go with some outside shooters in a lineup or run and gunners or pound it inside. Ford has his chess pieces, and i cannot wait to see how he plays them.

Hankton has definitely bulked up, which is key. He and Perkins definitely look ready to play some time at the 4.

Thatch, French, and Goodwin form a triangle around Ford in the center of the photo. That's not a mistake.

Agree with Nark, the numerous combos that can be made up with this squad approaches infinity. I think this is what's going to make this year so interesting. Mix and match is going to be real a mind bender for Ford and staff. Right now all we know is what JGood, French, and Fred bring to the party. You look at the PF guys, Hankton, Hargrove, and Perkins, and you see different skill sets, so who to play in what situations is going to be by trial and error. The same goes for Yurimania, Weaver, and Jacobs. Gonna be fun to watch where all these pieces fit into the puzzle. 

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Hankton has definitely bulked up, which is key. He and Perkins definitely look ready to play some time at the 4.

Thatch, French, and Goodwin form a triangle around Ford in the center of the photo. That's not a mistake.

Im still decently high on Hankton. I liked what I saw in limited action, and his main weakness was that he wasnt physical enough, looks like hes fixing that. 

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Haha. I thought the same thing about Goodwin and thatch next to coach, and didnt even notice french.