2019-20 Season

It is pretty  amazing how much changing one player next year, will change the type of team we are. Start with the base group of 4: French, Perkins, Goodwin and Yuri. 

Add Bell and we are a big physical team, Bell 6 10, French 6 7, Perkins 6 6, Goodwin 6 3 and Yuri 6. A team that can match up with the big boys and neutralize a high scoring inside big man.

Add Jimerson, now it's a 4 guard team with 2 strong outside shooters, who are creative shooters with quick releases.

Add Hargrove and you have a 4 guard team with crazy hops that is always looking for a steal and a fast break.

Add Thatch and you have a 4 guard team that can put a lot of pressure on ball handlers and shut down a high scoring guard.

All we are really missing is a proven stretch 4 to add to the mix.  Someon who can defend a legit inside player and step outside and drill an open 3. Hopefully Andre or KC can make that happen.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

It is pretty  amazing how much changing one player next year, will change the type of team we are. Start with the base group of 4: French, Perkins, Goodwin and Yuri. 

Add Bell and we are a big physical team, Bell 6 10, French 6 7, Perkins 6 6, Goodwin 6 3 and Yuri 6. A team that can match up with the big boys and neutralize a high scoring inside big man.

Add Jimerson, now it's a 4 guard team with 2 strong outside shooters, who are creative shooters with quick releases.

Add Hargrove and you have a 4 guard team with crazy hops that is always looking for a steal and a fast break.

Add Thatch and you have a 4 guard team that can put a lot of pressure on ball handlers and shut down a high scoring guard.

All we are really missing is a proven stretch 4 to add to the mix.  Someon who can defend a legit inside player and step outside and drill an open 3. Hopefully Andre or KC can make that happen.

I get what you’re saying and agree with the premise. But realistically I don’t expect Andre to be bigger (as a freshman) than Perkins or even Hargrove. He doesn’t appear to be a true stretch 4. He appears to be a lights out shooter with his specific position TBD at the next level.

37 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

Good post. Exciting times. Almost all of the approaches outlined are possible because of Yuri, truly "the straw who stirs the drink".

46 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

I believe that neither Hankton nor Thatch will make that much of a difference in the way the team plays next year.  I expect more from Jacobs than you do. Andre, Diarra, and Strickland are unknowns that may contribute a lot to the team or not depending upon what happens.

Perkins is truly an amazing scorer.  Just in that video, he has every shot in the book.  Having watched Billiken basketball for 30+ years, I can't remember a scorer as good as JP.  I know he has been compared to Rogers but I somehow missed the Rogers years, possibly due to working out of town a couple of different times.

On 3/25/2020 at 4:46 PM, Old guy said:

I believe that neither Hankton nor Thatch will make that much of a difference in the way the team plays next year.  I expect more from Jacobs than you do. Andre, Diarra, and Strickland are unknowns that may contribute a lot to the team or not depending upon what happens.

I hope you are wrong about Thatch, but I thought he played impressive defence his freshman year.  I didn't intend to cast any shade on Jacobs.  I see him as a more balanced player, each of the others, Bell, Jimerson, Thatch and Hargrove each have one really strong  tallent that they bring to the floor.

When it comes to unknowns, we have a lot fewer than last year, but I would agree that Diarra, Andre and Strickland are unknowns and I would add Thatch because of his illness.  I would like to think there is still potential in Hankton, but clearly we have yet to see it in his first 2 years. 

Old guy likes this

On 3/25/2020 at 2:57 PM, Aquinas said:

Aquinas.

Normally I agree with all your posts.  This one, though, I am going to disagree a little bit.   Here goes:  I do NOT want a stretch 4.   Of course I liked Cody Ellis, who didn't/doesn't?  Instead, I would much prefer another classic power forward along the lines of Anthony Bonner and now French.   Put me down for a guy like French - but who can make a 10 footer and also make 3 of 4 free throws. Another 4 years of bully ball - but this time with 3 point shooters as well!

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

Aquinas.

Normally I agree with all your posts.  This one, though, I am going to disagree a little bit.   Here goes:  I do NOT want a stretch 4.   Of course I liked Cody Ellis, who didn't/doesn't?  Instead, I would much prefer another classic power forward along the lines of Anthony Bonner and now French.   Put me down for a guy like French - but who can make a 10 footer and also make 3 of 4 free throws. Another 4 years of bully ball - but this time with 3 point shooters as well!

I'm with you on the need for a rebounding power forward, especially after French graduates. We will lose a lot of rebounds when French and Goodwin graduate. I think Bell will get his share, and I think Hargrove will get his share, but a real rebounding athletic 4 will be required if we want to continue to lead the conference.  

Next year, God willing,  we are going to be a team that can force the ball inside and nail outside shots. That will be a nightmare to defend. The simple packed in zones we have seen for the last 2 years won't be the answer. 

What I really like about Jimerson and Perkins is that they are consistent and dont shut down if they miss thier first 2 shots.

I know it's been mentioned, but David Pavlakovich is really putting together some great highlight stuff of the guys this year. I think I've seen some of the individual videos on here, but here is the link to his youtube page where he's posting everything. Most recently a DJ highlight package. 

https://www.youtube.com/user/dpavs14/videos

• 4 months later...
25 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=29688234

Just watch the video and you’ll see why I’m posting it. Hopefully it makes you smile like it made me smile.

Seeing our Billikens feature in that video was a nice treat on a Tuesday afternoon. Also, I forgot how dominant Kansas’ bigs were in the Maui championship game. They had their way with Obi. 

4 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

Seeing our Billikens feature in that video was a nice treat on a Tuesday afternoon. Also, I forgot how dominant Kansas’ bigs were in the Maui championship game. They had their way with Obi. 

I clicked on the video just to see what they said about Toppin as a future NBA player. I was expecting to see a bunch of Toppin dunks and, all of a sudden, I was like, “Holy crap, that’s Has throwing it down! There’s Yuri! There’s Perk!” Gotta love it!

17 hours ago, slu72 said:

So, it might take a plague to finally get a game with Mizzou. 
Dream reg regional schedule:

Mizery

Illini- supposed to be really strong

Arkansas or Kansas

SIUC

Bradley

Creighton/Marquette/DePaul

Loyola Chi

With all the teams that play D-1, I doubt that teams like Arkansas, Kansas, Creighton, or Marquette would be in our "bubble."  We might get a P-5 team or two, but otherwise, we'd also get SIU-E, SUI-C, SEMO, Bradley, Western Illinois, Illinois State, etc.

U8ysTNo.jpg

majerus mojo likes this

2 hours ago, Compton said:

I'd put Memphis and Louisville on a dream list before most of those. 

Good picks. But wouldn’t you like to demonstrate to the Beast we can compete with their members? As for Illini and Mizzery it would be good for local recruiting if we could beat up them. 

25 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

With all the teams that play D-1, I doubt that teams like Arkansas, Kansas, Creighton, or Marquette would be in our "bubble."  We might get a P-5 team or two, but otherwise, we'd also get SIU-E, SUI-C, SEMO, Bradley, Western Illinois, Illinois State, etc.

U8ysTNo.jpg

I'd imagine that an ancillary goal of setting up non-conference bubbles would be to establish some level of determining overall strength of each team / conference outside of their own conference.  Therefore, non-conference bubbles shouldn't include multiple teams from the same conference.  This may be unavoidable in some cases.  However, SLU's bubble should not be so heavy on MVC teams (SIUC, MO State, Illinois State, and Bradley) nor OVC teams (Eastern Illinois, SEMO, and SIUE).