2019-20 Season

13 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Obi a soph. 

Powell can create his own shot while isolated. Obi just dunks open looks/ works in an offense but he's not the same playmaker or as good off the dribble as Powell. Different players different positions but Powell has that Kemba take over switch. Shooting percentage is less cause he's taking more difficult shots. Just my opinion and I dont really think there is a right/wrong answer. I'd agree obi is a better pro prospect.

It sounds like your base assumption is that shooting guards are more valuable than power forwards.  Which if you're comparing two elite players, I would agree with.  But this year, Powell was too up and down to merit the elite label.  Toppin was great all year.  That gives him the slight edge as the more impactful college player, IMO.

billiken_roy likes this

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, NH said:

I’m not saying I agree with the original post, but you can’t just say that Toppin is a better shooter because his % is better. That’s an unfair application of the data. If you needed a 3 to win the game, you’d much rather have Powell taking it than Toppin.

If i’m down 2 with a chance to win with a 3 i’m taking toppin and pretty much guaranteeing OT as would any good coach

1 hour ago, glazedandconfused said:

Yes you can can compare it’s very easy. 39% vs 30%. hahah you just don’t want to compare because it hurts your case for powell

That was never my case hahaha*. Hes a pg. too me, a pg is more important. You'll die on a mountain of proving a case that is subjective hahahaha*. You've always been that way on this board. Ive also noted that day in and day out Powell had to go up against much more talent than Obi did due to SOS and pure talent hahaha*. 

* - sign of a bad argument. 

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

That was never my case hahaha*. Hes a pg. too me, a pg is more important. You'll die on a mountain of proving a case that is subjective hahahaha*. You've always been that way on this board. Ive also noted that day in and day out Powell had to go up against much more talent than Obi did due to SOS and pure talent hahaha*. 

amazing if true, wonder why in the last 30 years the overall number one draft pick has been a point guard only 5 times?   obviously these nba guys dont know what they are doing.

willie likes this

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

amazing if true, wonder why in the last 30 years the overall number one draft pick has been a point guard only 5 times?   obviously these nba guys dont know what they are doing.

you have a really odd obsession with the NBA when talking about college kids and college careers. it's kinda, weird. 

Just now, wgstl said:

you have a really odd obsession with the NBA when talking about college kids and college careers. it's kinda, weird. 

no weirder than your belief a kyrie irving wannabe is a better go to player than this years best college basketball player.

Just now, billiken_roy said:

no weirder than your belief a kyrie irving wannabe is a better go to player than this years best college basketball player.

Hes a top 5 finalist!!!!!!!  This is incredibly ridiculous. You're acting like Im making a case that Sean East is the best player in college. Or for your sake, a lets see, miles bridges or kentavious caldwell pope

Littlebill likes this

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Hes a top 5 finalist!!!!!!!  This is incredibly ridiculous. You're acting like Im making a case that Sean East is the best player in college. Or for your sake, a lets see, miles bridges or kentavious caldwell pope

somebody has to be in the top 5.   doesnt mean he is even close to obi in ability and overall greatness.   he's not.   

1 hour ago, glazedandconfused said:

If i’m down 2 with a chance to win with a 3 i’m taking toppin and pretty much guaranteeing OT as would any good coach

Even if said person taking the 3 needs to create their own shot? If that's the case I'm taking Powell 100/100 times.

11 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

i hope he sees this bro

you think powell will get mad that someone says obi is a better player?   ha.   i think powell will say, "hell yes obi is a better player.  he's better than everyone this year."

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Myles powell is a PG? MP is a shooting guard/off ball guard. Quincy Mcknight plays about 31 MPG as their point guard. Powell averages less than 1 assist more per game than Toppin. 

Obviously Toppin hasn't played as much consistent talent as powell but let's see his #s vs decent Power conference teams:

Toppin vs Kansas 6/11 from field for 18 points 9 reb 3 blks

vs Va Tech 10/14 from field for 24 pts 8 reb

vs Georgia 9/11 from field for 25 pts 4 reb 

Powell has 1 (!) game all year where he shot better than 50% from the field (St. Johns) and 1 game since November where he was super hot from 3 (Greater than 40%...also the St. Johns game)

In reality, Powell just wasn't a very efficient shooter this year. So if by deadly you guys mean has the best chance at killing your hope for a top 2 seed in the NCAA tournament then I agree...Powell is a more deadly player.  

billiken_roy likes this

55 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

you think powell will get mad that someone says obi is a better player?   ha.   i think powell will say, "hell yes obi is a better player.  he's better than everyone this year."

It is a pretty widely used meme at the moment. Millennials, am i right?

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

BANG He Got It.  Thanks to David Pavlakovich for his great work.

Ummmm...HOLY CRAP!!!! If we can get everyone healthy next year, and we’re running French, J-Good, Yuri, Perk, Locomotive, TJ, Jacobs, Gibson, and Thatch, plus Strickland and the Big Swede (and I still think Diarra might end up being a player), how do you guard us next year? Seriously? You can’t just pack it in. But if you try to shadow our snipers, J-Good and Has and Locomotive will eat you alive inside. And we’re such an elite offensive rebounding team, we’re gonna get tons of 2nd chance opportunities. I’m not embarrassed to say that I have a half-chub just picturing it my mind!