2019-20 Season

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Favorite Billiken team of all time the past 40 years.

Ford made good on his promise at his introductory press conference that he would get great players locally and this would be the city’s team. The last few games they were playing Majerus-level D with better offense and rebounding.

I could be mistaken but I think UMass was the only loss to a tram with a losing record. French bounced back with a vengeance after that one.

Pretty consistent all year & the way they were playing at the end, they could have taken SVU. They could have taken SVU with GJ healthy, too.

2 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Awesome.

We were keeping the A-10 trophy.

Man, that was fun to watch. Love this team. Sooo, looking forward to  next season. I loved watching Rick's teams destroy folks w/precision, but this squad's athleticism makes the game very entertaining. 

billikenbill likes this

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

Man, that was fun to watch. Love this team. Sooo, looking forward to  next season. I loved watching Rick's teams destroy folks w/precision, but this squad's athleticism makes the game very entertaining. 

So happy for Hargrove, too -- had to be hard for a hometown kid, state champion, not to be getting any PT early...look at him now.

Nothing else to do but venture into the land of make-believe.

Without knowing anymore about next year's OOC schedule, I would like (expect) to see us as a top 25 team with no more than 4, maximum 5, losses:   2 in the A 10 and 2 or 3 in OOC.  I doubt that the AD will schedule any additional P6 conf teams what with Xavier, and two of the following three (Auburn, Mich St, and Zaga) plus K-St and BC plus the game against S D St..  In A 10 play, maybe a loss to Richmond and one other road game. What's one key to having a record like this?  Good to excellent FT shooting in the final minutes of games in which we lead----no hack-a-Hasahn.  Obviously, Yuri will be on the floor at the end of games so i would like to see him at around 75% at the line.  We already know JP will be one of the 5 closing out close games, so who would be the remaining 3?  Jimerson, who might be our best FT shooter,  maybe Hargrove , and 1 of the following, FT Jr/JB Jr/DJ/our new Swede.  I think this is a group that should be able to finish off close victories. 🏀  In my view, the most important piece of this is YC improving at the line, which I think he is more than capable of doing, because he has to be on the floor!

Time to go back to the real world. 😡

edit:  Sorry this should be in the thread dealing with next year.

12 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Toppin was way more impressive vs us than Powell. SLU wasn't anywhere near ready for the Seton Hall game and Powell was 6/18 from the floor.  Plus Seton Hall was still good when Powell was out for a couple games. Give me Toppin over Powell everyday

ill be shocked if powell makes an nba splash.   seems like there a lot of powell's out there.

i am in the camp that toppin can turn into a superstar considering he showed some shooting ability along with his high flying act.   sky's the limit for obi.

HoosierPal likes this

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

ill be shocked if powell makes an nba splash.   seems like there a lot of powell's out there.

i am in the camp that toppin can turn into a superstar considering he showed some shooting ability along with his high flying act.   sky's the limit for obi.

I agree. But I also thought Myles was more "deadly" in college. Couldn't go wrong with either if you're creating a team. 

49 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I agree. But I also thought Myles was more "deadly" in college. Couldn't go wrong with either if you're creating a team. 

myles more deadly than obi?   i'll have to go back and watch not anywhere close imo.   obi turned into a once in a lifetime player.   he is dayton's larry hughes imo.   i think he is a top  5 pick.

13 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Theres a lot more to it than that. 

Please elaborate as to how Powell is more deadly than Toppin haha. In my opinion, shooting is a large part of it hahah

Toppin is a better shooter, rebounder, defender, more athletic, better in transition, the key piece of arguably the best offense in the country, and the list goes on

billiken_roy likes this

30 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Please elaborate as to how Powell is more deadly than Toppin haha. In my opinion, shooting is a large part of it hahah

Toppin is a better shooter, rebounder, defender, more athletic, better in transition, the key piece of arguably the best offense in the country, and the list goes on

You're comparing a guard to Toppin using shooting percentage? 

1 minute ago, Littlebill said:

thats the first thing I thought of, especially with the rebounding.  Being a pg means you have two jobs. 

2 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Yes agreed this normally isn't wise but when the guard shot about 9% worse from 3 on the season (granted more attempts), that seems important

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

thats the first thing I thought of, especially with the rebounding.  Being a pg means you have two jobs. 

We are not discussing any point guards

2 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Yes agreed this normally isn't wise but when the guard shot about 9% worse from 3 on the season (granted more attempts), that seems important

We are not discussing any point guards

I also take into consideration sos, and matchups.  Im sure like you, we both got to watch both play a lot this year.  Watching the big games and big shots against cassius winson, Pritchard of Oregon, Markus Howard, pipkins, weighs heavier for me than a ton of the matchups Obi had. Just IMO, not right or wrong choice with either

so powell lovers, you mean to tell me, that if you were drafting for your nba team this second and both powell and obi are available and your team has an equal need for either, you would take powell?

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I also take into consideration sos, and matchups.  Im sure like you, we both got to watch both play a lot this year.  Watching the big games and big shots against cassius winson, Pritchard of Oregon, Markus Howard, pipkins, weighs heavier for me than a ton of the matchups Obi had. Just IMO, not right or wrong choice with either

well, OBI is the right choice. It's why Obi will be POY (or Garza with Obi 2nd) and it's why Obi will be drafted much earlier than Powell 

Powell is really good but he's a volume scorer and his team still had some big wins without him.

3 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

well, OBI is the right choice. It's why Obi will be POY (or Garza with Obi 2nd) and it's why Obi will be drafted much earlier than Powell 

Powell is really good but he's a volume scorer and his team still had some big wins without him.

Garza is also a great choice.  Obi will be a higher draft for a number of options that have nothing to do with what we're talking about.  Example: If im a GM im also taking Obi high unlike Powell.  Small players like Myles are a risk in the NBA.