2019-20 Season

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have to be the worse free throw shooting Billikens team in history.  We have already seen teams intentionally fouling French in the last 5 minutes of the game.  I'm wondering how long before they foul him as soon as they get to 6 fouls. Put in a sub and foul French as soon as he touches the ball.  That gives them French shooting the front end of a one and one. So for team fouls 7-9, he would likely hit one of those 3 front ends.  Odds of him hitting the second one are about 11%.  So most likely outcome of fouling French for those 3 possessions, is that Billikens score 1 point.

That assumes we don't get the missed FT rebound and score.

2 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

We have to be the worse free throw shooting Billikens team in history.  We have already seen teams intentionally fouling French in the last 5 minutes of the game.  I'm wondering how long before they foul him as soon as they get to 6 fouls. Put in a sub and foul French as soon as he touches the ball.  That gives them French shooting the front end of a one and one. So for team fouls 7-9, he would likely hit one of those 3 front ends.  Odds of him hitting the second one are about 11%.  So most likely outcome of fouling French for those 3 possessions, is that Billikens score 1 point.

Heck, some team — UMass, maybe — took to fouling French off the ball!

1 hour ago, Aquinas said:

I am shocked teams haven't done this. I would also foul him in the double bonus. It's math. 

10 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

I haven’t been able to find anywhere that has it, but does anyone know of a site with individual player free throw %? I want to know where Hasahn ranks among qualified players. Most sites only do the top shooters. 

-I looked for this a couple of weeks ago and could not find, would also like to see it

1 hour ago, Aquinas said:

We discussed this last season. I found my old post, and I'll repost it here but updated for this season:

We're currently shooting .584 from the line, ranked 352/353 nationally. This would indeed be the worst FT shooting team of all time, or at least as far back as numbers are available. Here's where it ranks all-time among SLU's worst FT shooting teams (going back to 1947-1948, the earliest year for which this is available):

.584 - 2019-20
.596 - 1962-63
.597 - 1958-59
.597 - 1962-63
.598 - 2018-19
.602 - 1950-51
.614 - 1961-62
.615 - 1951-52
.619 - 2009-10
.630 - 1947-48
.634 - 1955-56
.635 - 1959-60
.637 - 1965-66
.641 - 1976-77

And then it looks like every other team was at .650 or better. The best stretch of FT shooting teams we ever had was in the Grawer era. The overall average in D-I basketball has hovered between .670 and .700 for about 50 years, with a very slight overall increasing trend. The top FT shooting team this season is Northeastern at .800. There are 207 teams shooting .700 or better currently and 146 teams below that line. Only Arkansas-Pine Bluff is worse than SLU this year, at .580.

I don't have the overall D-I FT percentage by year. I found this stat page once and haven't been able to find it since.

Congratulations to Coach Ford and the team.
This year has been a something special.  If we go back to preseason expectations, we really didn't know what to expect with so many new player and so many freshmen.
20 wins seemed like it would be a good year.
Being better than last years team didn't seam likely.  Add to the that was before the loss of Jimerson and Thatch.
Yet here we are, having clearly out performed last years team in conference play.
Last year: 10-8 This year 11-6 with one to play.
Last year over all: 23-13, This year 22-8

This is also in a stronger A10.

This does not mean we will go to the tournament, it took a remarkable finish last year to make that happen.  That said, Ford has this team playing its best basketball and our freshmen keep improving.  We have a reasonable chance.

imagine being in a coma the last month to see that Perkins and weaver are shooting almost identical from 3. 

That injury much have really been lethal on weaver. 

On 2/29/2020 at 10:38 PM, SLUperman said:

Thinking if we win convincingly at Rhody (10+ points), win out, get the 4 seed, and beat Dayton in the A10 tourney there's a path that exists where we are an at large team, probably 11-12 seed. I mean I'd prefer a repeat party in Brooklyn, but think the SLU at large hopes aren't entirely dead yet.

Phase II: Complete

Wow.  Thanks for posting the link. I looked up the other teams on this list and it is basically the Who's-Who of the top teams in this years tournament.  This list shows that not only are the Billikens peaking at the right time, but they are playing at a very high level.  For the record, Dayton is 9th on the list. 

I don't want to take the Bonnies for granted, but I would really love to take Dayton's lunch money.

On 3/8/2020 at 2:45 PM, wgstl said:

Senior day next year is gonna be the hardest ticket to get this city has seen 

Should be - but not so sure. And the fans will leave early on them too.

My point:  I supported RM on most all he did - but moving the Senior celebration to after the game is/was a bad idea.   Walking out on center court to hug your Mom and Dad, to give your Mom flowers and your Dad/family a framed picture of you or your jersey is NOT a huge, pre-game distraction.   Honor the kids prior - in front of the whole crowd.    Most schools/programs do/should.

Now, if the Coach wants to give a speach after the game and/or have the kids give a speach after, then so be it.  Do some before and some afterwards.

billiken_roy and willie like this

I want to thank coach Ford, our players and staff for a great season. It was much better than expected. I was really looking forward to taking Daytons lunch money on Sat. I appreciate the vision that Coach Ford has for the team and the progress that each player has made this year.  I am really sorry the season ended like this, especially for Weaver, our only scholarship senior who played his last Div1 game, without even knowing it.

May God bless all of those who made this season so special and keep you healthy.  

cgeldmacher and David King like this