2019-20 Season

4 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I know you said if you are correct but doesn't it seem silly that we are putting even considering the diagnosis of someone who has never evaluated the player and has gotten all his info from an internet message board? Doctor or not, it seems a bit crazy to me. 

Skip.  Correct.  I said "if" and like everyone else, I want Fred back at 100% 

With that said, your post is missing a few other facts which are not dependent upon this internet message board:  Fred has NOT been healthy all year, Fred played part-time only the first 6 games, Fred has missed every game since, Fred is not now practicing, this apparent illness is apparently progressive and no cure for his illness exists.   And while this is going on, other teams are playing us (and some beating us) with full rosters.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

With that said, your post is missing a few other facts which are not dependent upon this internet message board:  Fred has NOT been healthy all year, Fred played part-time only the first 6 games, Fred has missed every game since, Fred is not now practicing, this apparent illness is apparently progressive and no cure for his illness exists.   And while this is going on, other teams are playing us (and some beating us) with full rosters.

Isn't there a thread that says Ford Says He is redshirting and will be 100% healthy soon? I also read somewhere he was practicing now. 

IF Fred is healthy I think top 40 is expected and I wouldn't be surprised to see top 25. Imo this has the chance to be the best Bills team I've ever seen. 

Without Thatch I still think we are a tourney team just based upon a healthy Jimerson along with the current Perkins. Teams won't be able to pack it in on us defensively. 

7 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Without Thatch I still think we are a tourney team just based upon a healthy Jimerson along with the current Perkins. Teams won't be able to pack it in on us defensively. 

Ppl forget, we never got to see this Perkins and jimerson at the same time 

31 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Isn't there a thread that says Ford Says He is redshirting and will be 100% healthy soon? I also read somewhere he was practicing now. 

IF Fred is healthy I think top 40 is expected and I wouldn't be surprised to see top 25. Imo this has the chance to be the best Bills team I've ever seen. 

Agreed.

But now who is relying on an internet board with no personal info?

Not my call but I do not think 100% is possible.  How far off 100% appears to be the discussion.  

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

Agreed.

Not my call but I do not think 100% is possible.  How far off 100% appears to be the discussion.  

Internet board? Seriously? How about Coach Ford?

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

Agreed.

Well you may end up correct, However, if I have the choice of going with what Coach says (knowing he has talked to the Dr.'s ) or your hunch which is based upon not seeing him practice and not talking with his Dr.'s ….. Hmmm, let me think on that one a moment, 

1 minute ago, Clock_Tower said:

Did not Coach Ford Also say he looks great and would return to play?   Wasnt that a month ago?

So you're saying you knew I didn't just get the info from an internet board? 

I don't remember a direct quote saying he would for sure play. I remember him hoping he would get in. We also don't know if he could have played a few minutes but didn't think what they might get from him was worth losing a year of eligibility. 

2 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

and I believe Thatch is "not now practicing" is not a fact. 

Skip. Not sure what is not understood.  Fred has a permanent, progressive disease which is not able to be cured.  He has not played full time all year - only part time for the first 6 games.  Yes, he  has practiced this year - but not every drill, not every practice, not full time, not without accommodations at times,  etc. and now we know he will not play the rest of this year. Yes, wishful statements have been made by him, by Coach Ford, by me and by everyone else, on this internet board, and by Coach and staff during media events, before and after games, wishing the absolute best for him. But just bc statements are made, even by Coach Ford, they are not absolute as they are made are made for Fred’s benefit: to help Fred mentally deal with this, to buy time, to help Fred obtain a red shirt year from the NCAA, etc. 

Do you believe Fred will be 100% recovered from this awful, permanent and progressive disease in the future?  The we won’t have this disease over the next 3 years.  Not a hunch by me. Just unfortunate reality. 

3 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Skip. Not sure what is not understood.  Fred has a permanent, progressive disease which is not able to be cured.  He has not played full time all year - only part time for the first 6 games.  Yes, he  has practiced this year - but not every drill, not every practice, not full time, not without accommodations at times,  etc. and now we know he will not play the rest of this year. Yes, wishful statements have been made by him, by Coach Ford, by me and by everyone else, on this internet board, and by Coach and staff during media events, before and after games, wishing the absolute best for him. But just bc statements are made, even by Coach Ford, they are not absolute as they are made are made for Fred’s benefit: to help Fred mentally deal with this, to buy time, to help Fred obtain a red shirt year from the NCAA, etc. 

Do you believe Fred will be 100% recovered from this awful, permanent and progressive disease in the future?  The we won’t have this disease over the next 3 years.  Not a hunch by me. Just unfortunate reality. 

I don't know if he'll play or not. You said he wasn't even practicing and called it fact. Fact is actually that he has been practicing. All I know is Coach Ford said he would be redshirted and at 100% next year. We don't really know if he could play some right now. What we do know is if he did he'd lose this year of eligibility and once you get past a certain point it doesn't make sense for him to play. Having him redshirt and get the year back is the smart decision.  You are just assuming he couldn't play at all right now, I'm saying even if he can it's better for him that he doesn't. I choose to believe Coach Ford (and I did qualify my initial  post you responded to  with IF he is healthy) as he has no reason to make baseless statements. I'm sure he's talked to the Dr.'s and has seen Fred practice every day. So is his statement a guarantee? Of course not but it's the closest thing to the reality of the situation that we have. And imo it makes sense when talking about next year to consider what we could be with Fred. 

8 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I don't know if he'll play or not. You said he wasn't even practicing and called it fact. Fact is actually that he has been practicing. All I know is Coach Ford said he would be redshirted and at 100% next year. We don't really know if he could play some right now. What we do know is if he did he'd lose this year of eligibility and once you get past a certain point it doesn't make sense for him to play. Having him redshirt and get the year back is the smart decision.  You are just assuming he couldn't play at all right now, I'm saying even if he can it's better for him that he doesn't. I choose to believe Coach Ford (and I did qualify my initial  post you responded to  with IF he is healthy) as he has no reason to make baseless statements. I'm sure he's talked to the Dr.'s and has seen Fred practice every day. So is his statement a guarantee? Of course not but it's the closest thing to the reality of the situation that we have. And imo it makes sense when talking about next year to consider what we could be with Fred. 

Also someone reported that for the first time in a long time, he took part in all drills, not just in and out for certain ones, the other day. 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Perkins is 22 of 55 for  40.0% from the arc during A10 Conference play.

Jacobs is 13 of 29 for 44.8% in A10 games.

Nice.

I love that I was dead wrong about Perkins.  At the beginning of the year (when now it clear he was still adjusting to DI play), I thought he was just going to be an inefficient volume shooter who could at least knock down FTs.  Decent bench player for us who might win us some games when he was hot, but lose us a lot more if we allowed him to take too many of our shots.  Now it seems like he is capable of being a legit offensive star.  I cannot recall the Billikens having as gifted a scorer as Perkins in my lifetime.  He is 6-6 and can score at all 3 levels.

More fun with small sample size Perkins stats - here is a chart I made of Perkins 10 game rolling averages for 2 point FG% and 3 point FG%:

image.png.d54a05f553e333bcf2091af9f6252484.png

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

I love that I was dead wrong about Perkins.  At the beginning of the year (when now it clear he was still adjusting to DI play), I thought he was just going to be an inefficient volume shooter who could at least knock down FTs.  Decent bench player for us who might win us some games when he was hot, but lose us a lot more if we allowed him to take too many of our shots.  Now it seems like he is capable of being a legit offensive star.  I cannot recall the Billikens having as gifted a scorer as Perkins in my lifetime.  He is 6-6 and can score at all 3 levels.

More fun with small sample size Perkins stats - here is a chart I made of Perkins 10 game rolling averages for 2 point FG% and 3 point FG%:

He is our best offensive player since Clagget and with his recent uptick in 3 pointers, he is better than Clagget. He is also our best player against the press.

3 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

I was also not happy with his efficiency early. He seemed to rush shots pretty often and his shot looked flat a lot. However we've seen so many Juco's take a bit to adjust and I'd heard from so many people how good he was offensively, I believed he'd come around. I didn't though think he would be this good. He's so smooth, he never looks like he's going hard. He seems to just glide in the air and seems to hang. In addition you rarely see players with the ability to lay the ball off the glass from so many different angles and heights. He's sometimes high off the glass and sometimes just lightly sets it in at the corner of the square. He also has a very soft touch even when contested he never seems to bang it off the glass. He is truly a unique offensive talent

18 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I was also not happy with his efficiency early. He seemed to rush shots pretty often and his shot looked flat a lot. However we've seen so many Juco's take a bit to adjust and I'd heard from so many people how good he was offensively, I believed he'd come around. I didn't though think he would be this good. He's so smooth, he never looks like he's going hard. He seems to just glide in the air and seems to hang. In addition you rarely see players with the ability to lay the ball off the glass from so many different angles and heights. He's sometimes high off the glass and sometimes just lightly sets it in at the corner of the square. He also has a very soft touch even when contested he never seems to bang it off the glass. He is truly a unique offensive talent

I think he will play in the nba. Am i crazy?

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I think he will play in the nba. Am i crazy?

I'm probably not the one to ask, I just don't watch enough NBA basketball. My first thought tells me he's not athletic enough but then it seems like he does things that take more athleticism than he seemingly has. He's just so smooth and has a knack for knowing when to explode with just the right amount of quickness to beat someone. The block he had near the end of the 2nd half is a good example. It was a play I wouldn't have thought he could make, yet he made it. 

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

Agree.  I underestimated the break in period and expected more from him in the first 1/3 of the season bc of his prior JUCO experience but then he exceeded my expectations in the second 1/3 and now enjoying watching him in the final 1/3. 

2 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

He is our best offensive player since Clagget and with his recent uptick in 3 pointers, he is better than Clagget. He is also our best player against the press.

If you are taking only about four year players, your point is solid.  If one year players are allowed into the dialogue, there is a guy who played a year or two after Clagget who might have dibs on best offensive (and defensive) Billiken ever....

19 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Agree.  I underestimated the break in period and expected more from him in the first 1/3 of the season bc of his prior JUCO experience but then he exceeded my expectations in the second 1/3 and now enjoying watching him in the final 1/3. 

I don’t believe he joined the team until fairly late in the summer. Not sure he was prepared for the start of the season. Took him some time to gain Ford’s confidence. Can he play in the NBA . Maybe. He’s pretty small for his position but obviously can score the ball. While this will piss off Billiken Roy I think his chances are much greater than Goodwin, and I love Goodwin.