2019-20 Season

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, MichaelC said:

It's not necessarily a direct swap, Perkins normally replaces Bell after 5 or 6 minutes so Jacobs could do that. 

I’m not sure Perkins can routinely play 36 min. He got tired. 
I look at minutes played. I think Perkins tapped out at 36. Minutes are minutes no matter when you get them. 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

How do you do that swap?  Perkins played 36 minutes last night.  Jacobs played 12.   I can't see Perkins going over 40, unless there is an overtime.

I just meant to start the game. I feel he would be more effective in getting the offense off to a good start right away instead of 5 minutes into the game

58 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Bell had a nice game against Richmond and gave Toppin some fits on D. Weaver was great last night. 

Correct. Not having a reliable bench is where I’m going with this. Bell then disappeared last night, weaver had one good game his last 5, same with Jacobs. My point is over the last 5 games we’ve shown to have 4 players we can count on. That’s, where you see if a team is deep or not. 

I’m not sure Perkins can routinely play 36 min. He got tired. 
I look at minutes played. I think Perkins tapped out at 36. Minutes are minutes no matter when you get them. 

I agree that 36 minutes is probably too much but he didn't have to play that much, Jacobs could have been given another shot earlier in the second half. Are you opposed to Perkins replacing Jacobs in the starting lineup?

Bell had a nice game against Richmond and gave Toppin some fits on D. Weaver was great last night. 

When Weaver gets minutes, he produces. In the 4 games that he has played 20+ minutes he is shooting 53.8%(14/26) from 3. There are 5 games he has zero or one attempt from 3, which can't happen. He needs minutes and the team needs to find him for shots. He will help fill the Jimerson void, and open the lane up for others. Why he didn't get time against Dayton is crazy.

SLU_Lax and HoosierPal like this

1 hour ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

When Weaver gets minutes, he produces. In the 4 games that he has played 20+ minutes he is shooting 53.8%(14/26) from 3. There are 5 games he has zero or one attempt from 3, which can't happen. He needs minutes and the team needs to find him for shots. He will help fill the Jimerson void, and open the lane up for others. Why he didn't get time against Dayton is crazy.

The Isabell conundrum...………..

2 hours ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

You've got it backwards.  He gets minutes because he produces.  If Weaver knocks down a shot in his first 5-6 min, he's probably getting significant minutes that game. 

43 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

You've got it backwards.  He gets minutes because he produces.  If Weaver knocks down a shot in his first 5-6 min, he's probably getting significant minutes that game. 

I get what your saying but he needs to touch the ball in those 5-6 minutes. He was left wide open a couple times in Dayton game and then pulled with zero attempts, that can't happen. Get him minutes and get him shots, he has shown he produces points and we need the outside threat.

Zink likes this

Guys.

More complex, and yet more simple, than some are suggesting.  Weaver does help fill the void of Jimerson and perimeter shooting which has been missing at this program for awhile now.  At the same time, he is 5'10" (not 6'5" like Jimerson) and he plays terrible defense (unlike what Jimerson had been doing).  Better defense by Weaver (and Hargrove)  gets him (them) minutes as they both have much needed offensive abilities.

Did Bell disappear?  Yes.   Tough matchup for him - and correspondingly long night for Bell and us.   But I would also say that our offense by the starters disappeared as well.  Yuri had one basket -- too much playing time for a guy who does not score.  Oh, but Yuri had all these assists?   If so, to which starters?  Not French, Goodwin, Jacobs and Bell.  Maybe Jacobs should have played more -- at the expense of Yuri.  And while I am fine replacing Perkins with Jacobs on most nights - not against Davidson.  Ford should have taken out our best offensive scorer to give Jacobs another chance?  Not when the other starters are not scoring. 

We are what we are.   Many factors worked against us -- hot shooting by an experienced team at their home, solid coaching and good defensive scheme to take away our shots from the lane, tighter game by the officials.  But if you tell me French and Goodwin both score only 6 points each - and Yuri got what ?  3 points?   I say we lose by 30 points.   And to think we were within a basket with 9 minutes late is amazing - and a testament to the character and effort of this team and the contributions by both Perkins and Weaver who - combined outscored the starters alone   Fantastic job guys!

33 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Guys.

More complex, and yet more simple, than some are suggesting.  Weaver does help fill the void of Jimerson and perimeter shooting which has been missing at this program for awhile now.  At the same time, he is 5'10" (not 6'5" like Jimerson) and he plays terrible defense (unlike what Jimerson had been doing).  Better defense by Weaver (and Hargrove)  gets him (them) minutes as they both have much needed offensive abilities.

Did Bell disappear?  Yes.   Tough matchup for him - and correspondingly long night for Bell and us.   But I would also say that our offense by the starters disappeared as well.  Yuri had one basket -- too much playing time for a guy who does not score.  Oh, but Yuri had all these assists?   If so, to which starters?  Not French, Goodwin, Jacobs and Bell.  Maybe Jacobs should have played more -- at the expense of Yuri.  And while I am fine replacing Perkins with Jacobs on most nights - not against Davidson.  Ford should have taken out our best offensive scorer to give Jacobs another chance?  Not when the other starters are not scoring. 

We are what we are.   Many factors worked against us -- hot shooting by an experienced team at their home, solid coaching and good defensive scheme to take away our shots from the lane, tighter game by the officials.  But if you tell me French and Goodwin both score only 6 points each - and Yuri got what ?  3 points?   I say we lose by 30 points.   And to think we were within a basket with 9 minutes late is amazing - and a testament to the character and effort of this team and the contributions by both Perkins and Weaver who - combined outscored the starters alone   Fantastic job guys!

Terrible defense?  Weaver does a good job of staying in front of man.  But like you said he's 5'10 and the big guards can just shoot over the top.  Just because Yuri is more disruptive on defense doesn't mean Weaver is terrible. 

If  he was capable of creating more offense at the point, Weaver would get more minutes backing up the point but that's not part of his game.  He's a designated shooter that others have to create shots for. 

HoosierPal and JohnnyJumpUp like this

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

Guys.

Agree with all of this good post.

Our quick hook coach needs to settle down so his team can settle down.

Bell had 3 turnovers and he was done for the night maybe Bell comes back in and gets 3 baskets but we will never know.

I was yelling at the radio once our team caught up to rest Perkins with Hargrove, Jacobs for Weaver, Collins or JGood Bell for French to make the next rum to get over the hump by taking the lead.  Earl and Rammer kept talking about Ford kept riding the horses that got them in the game but it was obvious that those horses were gassed and not effective to close out the game.

Our strength of being deeper than Davidson was not used because of the coach Ford quick hook and sit.  If our team loses as a team that are not punished by making mistakes is easier for me to accept this loss.

willie likes this

34 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Agree with all of this good post.

Our quick hook coach needs to settle down so his team can settle down.

Bell had 3 turnovers and he was done for the night maybe Bell comes back in and gets 3 baskets but we will never know.

I was yelling at the radio once our team caught up to rest Perkins with Hargrove, Jacobs for Weaver, Collins or JGood Bell for French to make the next rum to get over the hump by taking the lead.  Earl and Rammer kept talking about Ford kept riding the horses that got them in the game but it was obvious that those horses were gassed and not effective to close out the game.

Our strength of being deeper than Davidson was not used because of the coach Ford quick hook and sit.  If our team loses as a team that are not punished by making mistakes is easier for me to accept this loss.

Quick hook? Why does the coach solely get blame? 
The elite moments of Jacobs and Bell have been few and far between. I like both, appreciate both, pull for both and believe their best days are ahead of them. But what would give us reason to believe that more and more minutes would result in things being different ?

17 hours ago, wgstl said:

counting out Jacobs.  He had an 18 point game out of those 5, if you go by his last 4 games hes at 5,5

Jacobs brings to mind the old Vince Lombardi quote, "if you can do it once you can do it all the time." He's got the talent, I just don't get the lack of will to bring it every night. I'm beginnng to wonder why Perkins isn't starting in place of him. Why keep his much needed points on the bench for 5 minutes?  

billiken_roy likes this

24 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Quick hook? Why does the coach solely get blame? 
The elite moments of Jacobs and Bell have been few and far between. I like both, appreciate both, pull for both and believe their best days are ahead of them. But what would give us reason to believe that more and more minutes would result in things being different ?

I still think Jimmy deserved more minutes against Davidson just to take pressure off of Has. 

billikenbill likes this

14 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Jacobs brings to mind the old Vince Lombardi quote, "if you can do it once you can do it all the time." He's got the talent, I just don't get the lack of will to bring it every night. I'm beginnng to wonder why Perkins isn't starting in place of him. Why keep his much needed points on the bench for 5 minutes?  

I wonder if Ford like's having scorers coming off the bench?  It makes no sense to me, and I feel like Jacobs would either 1) feel less pressure coming off the bench 2) get the hint hes no longer starting because hes not being aggressive enough. 

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I wonder if Ford like's having scorers coming off the bench?  It makes no sense to me, and I feel like Jacobs would either 1) feel less pressure coming off the bench 2) get the hint hes no longer starting because hes not being aggressive enough. 

Yes.  Or maybe taking out of the starting lineup will hurt his confidence and deflate him more.   A coach has to know his players and adjust to them.   Maybe I give too much deference but I do believe a coach knows his players best.   Perkins unfortunately WAS our offense.  Again, if Yuri could increase his points to 7 or 8 per game -- big difference.   But without both Thatch and Jimerson, we are short options and depth.   And if guys then don't step up each night (Jacobs), then we are in trouble.   

But if our guys got gassed, how would playing the press the final 10 minutes help?

3star_recruit likes this

2 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

But if our guys got gassed, how would playing the press the final 10 minutes help?

Id like to see KC come in for this actually. Hope he feels better because we're getting to the point we need more guys. 

I think the logic for starting Jacobs over Perkins is primarily a positional thing. We almost never play Perkins/French/Bell at the same time. Like most coaches, Ford sticks with 3 guards most of the time. So the primary debate is probably whether Perkins should start over Bell. And I think we know that the reason Bell starts is primarily to help keep Has out of foul trouble early.