2019-20 Season

2 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

So running an up-tempo offense and applying full-court pressure with 6 healthy players would have been a good x's and o's decision last year?

i have long said i dont go for the tired legs stuff.  these are athletes in the prime shape of their lives and while you might be somewhat selective, there is no reason we couldnt have turned up the pressure and speed more than we did imo.   

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

As to X’s and O’s, I will say that Ford is outstanding in running plays underneath the opponent’s basket..I remember the Crew’s days, where our primary play was to throw the ball in to the backcourt...

you are insulting any coach over the 4th grade level to compare them to crews.  

Just now, billiken_roy said:

i have long said i dont go for the tired legs stuff.  these are athletes in the prime shape of their lives and while you might be somewhat selective, there is no reason we couldnt have turned up the pressure and speed more than we did imo.   

Yes, but even athletes in the prime shape of their lives get tired and worn down - especially over a long season..   But in addition to a tired legs issue, we also had a personnel issue last year as well.   Hankton and Jacobs do not appear to be even remotely the same this year as last year -- from both a physical standpoint (both added significant weight/muscle) as well as from a mental/confidence/understanding of the offensive/defensive schemes standpoint.   And Wiley was injured and broke down most of the year - and did not appear to be able to run up and down the court too many times, and dare I say if he did, he would have been breathing like a locomotive.   Foreman played hurt  with a hip issue most of the year - and also did not appear to be able to run up and down the court too many times in a row without a break.  Also, Goodwin and French appear in much greater shape this year as both appear lighter on their feet, quicker and yet stronger - and yet both could be said to be in the prime shame of their lives both years from an age standpoint.  And as good as Isabell was down the stretch, I think most would agree that he did not run the offense and pass anywhere close to what Yuri has already done after only 4 games -- an exhibition and 3 early regular season games.

Seton Hall is where we see if we are the real deal. Let’s be honest, we smashed teams we should have smashed. The spreads were insulting but understandable. I predict we will be on our A game defensively and offensively. We have more than 3 scoring threats this year and can shoot the 3 ball, this opens us up inside for the first time in Fords time at SLU. Guys like Goodwin and French won’t be double teamed as much 

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to the early season success this year, I am there are are 2 things that strike me as exceptional at this Thanksgiving time.
1. I think the qualiy of the message board this year has been the best ever, and my hat is off, to all of those who have contributed to the exceptional posting on recruiting and other Billiken news and observations.

2. Coach Ford has done an excepltional job, not just recruiting 3 and 4 star recruits, but aslo identifying 2 star recruits that are under the national radar, Hankton, Jacobs, Collins and Jimmmerson. I also believe that Madani will prove to be a project worth investing in. Yuri and Jimmerson at this point appear to be Billikens who will put up record setting numbers by the time they will graduate.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, dlarry said:

James Wiseman is dropping out of Memphis and hiring an agent to prepare for the draft.

All the trouble he caused in Memphis, possible probation and they got 5 games out of him.

lol

Nice going Penny!!

Almost as much of a farce as MPJ at Mizzou.... got Roma’s fired at Washington and paid his dad millions for what, 2 games?

• 1 month later...

just comparing this season to last(averages)

2018/19                                   2019/20

scored PS/G: 66.6 (310th of 353)     /     PS/G: 72.5 (150th of 353)

allowed PA/G: 63.8 (22nd of 353)     /     PA/G: 65.5 (91st of 353)

SRS: 5.06 (106th of 353)      /     SRS: 9.39 (71st of 353)

SOS: 2.23 (97th of 353)        /     SOS: 2.75 (94th of 353)

Rebounds ppg      39.8                           /               41.1

FG %                       41.9%                      /                  44.2%      

FT%                           60%                      /                   57.4%

3 point %                 31.3%               /                   32.1%

Without going deep into defensive numbers, we improved(so far) in everything but points allowed and FT which neither have been far off. 

Just found this somewhat interesting 

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

just comparing this season to last(averages)

2018/19                                   2019/20

scored PS/G: 66.6 (310th of 353)     /     PS/G: 72.5 (150th of 353)

allowed PA/G: 63.8 (22nd of 353)     /     PA/G: 65.5 (91st of 353)

SRS: 5.06 (106th of 353)      /     SRS: 9.39 (71st of 353)

SOS: 2.23 (97th of 353)        /     SOS: 2.75 (94th of 353)

Rebounds ppg      39.8                           /               41.1

FG %                       41.9%                      /                  44.2%      

FT%                           60%                      /                   57.4%

3 point %                 31.3%               /                   32.1%

Without going deep into defensive numbers, we improved(so far) in everything but points allowed and FT which neither have been far off. 

Just found this somewhat interesting 

Great observation and pretty incredible IMO.  I've glanced at KemPom and knew he has us ranked higher than last year, but I haven't really dug into the numbers.

Going into the year, I assumed there would be a bit of a fall off after losing Bess, Isabell, and to a lesser extent Foreman.  Since we weren't a bubble team or even in the NIT picture last year before winning the A10 tourney, my preseason guess was that we'd fall short of those this season and hopefully use a CBI bid to build momentum for next year.  That was including me counting on a healthy Fred Thatch to be our 3rd best player.  At this point in my head I know CBI is still a possibility, but would be disappointing.  

Looking at the individual players:

Goodwin and French have stepped up.  They're scoring more efficiently with a higher usage %.  Their defense is key to us not falling off as much.  Jacobs was a complete ? coming into the year and has been one of our most efficient offensive players.  Perkins is the best JUCO we've had that I can recall.  Collins, Bell, and Hargrove have all been great for freshmen and the future looks bright.  Jimerson looked great before got hurt.

Other than injuries and possibly Hankton (though that may also be due to injury) I'd say that all of our players have met or exceeded expectations so far.

Also of note: Isabell was awesome in getting hot at the right time and carrying our offense at times down the stretch.  His body of work for the entire season was pretty pedestrian, however.

3 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Great observation and pretty incredible IMO.  I've glanced at KemPom and knew he has us ranked higher than last year, but I haven't really dug into the numbers.

Going into the year, I assumed there would be a bit of a fall off after losing Bess, Isabell, and to a lesser extent Foreman.  Since we weren't a bubble team or even in the NIT picture last year before winning the A10 tourney, my preseason guess was that we'd fall short of those this season and hopefully use a CBI bid to build momentum for next year.  That was including me counting on a healthy Fred Thatch to be our 3rd best player.  At this point in my head I know CBI is still a possibility, but would be disappointing.  

Goodwin and French have stepped up.  They're scoring more efficiently with a higher usage %.  Their defense is key to us not falling off as much.  Jacobs was a complete ? coming into the year and has been one of our most efficient offensive players.  Perkins is the best JUCO we've had that I can recall.  Collins, Bell, and Hargrove have all been great for freshmen and the future looks bright.  Jimerson looked great before got hurt.

Other than injuries and possibly Hankton (though that may also be due to injury) I'd say that all of our players have met or exceeded expectations so far.

Also of note: Isabell was awesome in getting hot at the right time and carrying our offense at times down the stretch.  His body of work for the entire season was pretty pedestrian, however.

The biggest thing last year, that im hoping we avoid this year was when we went on a 4 game conference skid and or 5 out of 6.  Thats where all hope was lost. 

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Speaking of Hankton, he had been in uniform in recent games but was not in the Dayton game.  What in the world is wrong with him?  Looking like another Welmer and time to move on.

Over the last 5 games:

Perkins: 18.4 ppg, 4.6 rebounds

Goodwin: 16.6 ppg, 9.8 rebounds

French: 11.8 ppg, 12.8 rebounds

Jacobs: 8 ppg, 1.6 rebounds

Collins: 5.4 ppg, 5.8 ast

Bell: 4.2 ppg, 2.4 rebounds

Weaver: 3.8 ppg, 1 rebound

Hargrove: 2.8 ppg, 2 rebounds

We're truly turning into a 4 man team. 

Damn our two studs getting it done in the rebound department 11 and 14th in the nation in rebound average per game.

Rebounds Per Game Leaders - Top 100 Qualified

RK PLAYER TEAM GP MPG OFF ORPG DEF DRPG REB RPG RP40
1 John Mooney, F ND 17 32.7 64 3.8 172 10.1 236 13.9 17.0
2 Kevin Marfo, F QUIN 16 27.8 76 4.8 145 9.1 221 13.8 19.9
3 Willie Jackson, F TOL 19 33.6 68 3.6 171 9.0 239 12.6 15.0
4 James Butler, F DREX 20 32.9 77 3.9 162 8.1 239 12.0 14.5
5 Cletrell Pope, F BCU 19 29.3 91 4.8 136 7.2 227 11.9 16.3
6 Daniel Oturu, C MINN 18 33.7 73 4.1 141 7.8 214 11.9 14.1
7 E.J. Anosike, G SHU 19 32.9 85 4.5 135 7.1 220 11.6 14.1
8 Paul Reed, F DEP 19 33.0 57 3.0 157 8.3 214 11.3 13.7
9 Elyjah Goss, F IUPU 20 28.3 79 4.0 145 7.3 224 11.2 15.8
10 Manny Camper, G SIE 16 36.9 48 3.0 125 7.8 173 10.8 11.7
RK PLAYER TEAM GP MPG OFF ORPG DEF DRPG REB RPG RP40
11 Jordan Goodwin, G SLU 19 35.3 59 3.1 145 7.6 204 10.7 12.2
12 Dwight Wilson, F JMU 14 23.1 50 3.6 100 7.1 150 10.7 18.5
13 Kim Aiken Jr., F EWU 17 32.5 29 1.7 153 9.0 182 10.7 13.2
14 Hasahn French, F SLU 18 31.9 71 3.9 121 6.7 192 10.7 13.4
15 Nathan Knight, F W&M 20 29.6 50 2.5 161 8.1 211 10.6 14.3
16 Nico Carvacho, C CSU 21 29.2 58 2.8 162 7.7 220 10.5 14.3
17 Justin Bean, F USU 21 28.8 86 4.1 133 6.3 219 10.4 14.5
18 Cyril Langevine, F URI 18 30.2 67 3.7 119 6.6 186 10.3 13.7
  Carlton Bragg Jr., F UNM 15 26.9 48 3.2 107 7.1 155 10.3 15.4
20 Luka Garza, C IOWA 19 30.6 71 3.7 125 6.6 196 10.3 13.5

38 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Over the last 5 games:

Collins is averaging almost 6 assists per game over that span. Are you not counting him? Or not counting Jacobs? 

Kudos to Perkins, I've criticized him for being very inefficient but he's certainly done much better lately. 

15 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Collins is averaging almost 6 assists per game over that span. Are you not counting him? Or not counting Jacobs? 

Kudos to Perkins, I've criticized him for being very inefficient but he's certainly done much better lately. 

counting out Jacobs.  He had an 18 point game out of those 5, if you go by his last 4 games hes at 5,5

Jacobs has had more than enough time to turn up the intensity.   A lot of ability but does us no good playing tentative

bauman and billikenbill like this

15 minutes ago, slubillikens43 said:

You would think if Jacobs is going to keep playing hesitant you swap in Perkins to play the 3. I could see this also possibly taking some pressure off Jacobs by coming off the bench.

How do you do that swap?  Perkins played 36 minutes last night.  Jacobs played 12.   I can't see Perkins going over 40, unless there is an overtime.

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

Over the last 5 games:

I count 8 names.  Which 4 don't count anymore? 

Our 4 against Davidson's 2 man team didn't work out so well.  Maybe we should have played 5 on 2.

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I count 8 names.  Which 4 don't count anymore? 

Our 4 against Davidson's 2 man team didn't work out so well.  Maybe we should have played 5 on 2.

I’m saying after Perkins Collins Goodwin French there’s a massive drop off

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

How do you do that swap?  Perkins played 36 minutes last night.  Jacobs played 12.   I can't see Perkins going over 40, unless there is an overtime.

It's not necessarily a direct swap, Perkins normally replaces Bell after 5 or 6 minutes so Jacobs could do that.