2019-20 Season

36 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

The Claggett, Highmark, and H teams certainly were exciting, but we’re they more exciting than the teams from 2011-2014, or did you just dislike Majerus so much that you couldn’t get excited about his players?

For a casual St. Louis fan (not that Roy falls into the casual bucket), I can definitely see how the 2011-14 teams weren't all that exciting or were less exciting than 94-95 and this current year (hopefully). 

The Majerus teams didn't play "exciting' for casual St. Louis fans because:

1. played at a pretty slow pace - there wasn't a lot of back and forth transition scoring opportunities that lend themselves to exciting plays like dunks or chase down blocks.  They didn't push transition offense and their defense was designed to limit transition opportunities.
  2. Defense was their calling card - and not a particularly exciting form of defense.  The quintessential Majerus team defense resulted in a lot of shot clock violations or missed shots by the opponent rather than turnovers / steals or even blocks.  It was all about limiting good looks.
  3. Offense wasn't exciting - they ran a lot of clock and there wasn't a lot of dunks or like a crazy amount of 3 pointers or anything.
  4. Very few local players - Majerus teams did have local players who fans/media got overly excited about (ala Yuri).

For someone who was really into basketball fundamentals / team defense watching Majerus coached teams was incredible - textbook post defense, help defense galore always at the exact right time and spot, perfect timing on screens, bigs sealing off the lane to allow Jett to drive, etc.

Zink, moytoy12 and billiken_roy like this

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

Didn't want to start a new thread.  Here is TFord's interview with Danny Mac today:  https://www.scoopswithdannymac.com/travis-ford-billikens-basketball-update-november-14-2019/

Just started listening so no recap yet. 

One interesting item from Coach, Collins minutes will increase to around 30.  (He will be shortening the rotation.)

[I put radio interviews on the "Coach on the Radio" thread so they don't get lost.]

moytoy12 likes this

13 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

One interesting item from Coach, Collins minutes will increase to around 30.  (He will be shortening the rotation.)

I really dont see how. (shortening rotation)

The only players who could be dropping minutes still offer a lot.  Id assume it would have to be Weaver, Jimerson,  and Perkins maybe Hankton? 

Jacobs I see losing minutes for Yuri to have.  

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

I really dont see how. 

The only players who could be dropping minutes still offer a lot.  Id assume it would have to be Weaver, Jimerson,  and Perkins maybe Hankton?

I just looked, and Collins is at 26.3 mpg, so not a big stretch to add 3 minutes. 

But I am guessing Ford shortens the rotation before Conference.  Our press is not Havoc-like, and not consuming our players.  The key players can easily handle 30 minutes at the pace we are playing.  If Jordan, French, Thatch, and Collins all hitting 30 mpg, the number of minutes left over diminishes.  

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I just looked, and Collins is at 26.3 mpg, so not a big stretch to add 3 minutes. 

But I am guessing Ford shortens the rotation before Conference.  Our press is not Havoc-like, and not consuming our players.  The key players can easily handle 30 minutes at the pace we are playing.  If Jordan, French, Thatch, and Collins all hitting 30 mpg, the number of minutes left over diminishes.  

right, but who gets hit the hardest from this?  Weaver or Jimerson?  You need their outside shooting.  Perkins?  You need another forward, especially one who can shoot a bit. Hankton sounds most likely, as Bell will only get better and more into shape which would take minutes from KC. 

12 minutes ago, wgstl said:

right, but who gets hit the hardest from this?  Weaver or Jimerson?  You need their outside shooting.  Perkins?  You need another forward, especially one who can shoot a bit. Hankton sounds most likely, as Bell will only get better and more into shape which would take minutes from KC. 

It is going to be fun to see what happens. As the Wiz says, let's give it 8 games to see what pattern develops.  

3 hours ago, slufanskip said:

We don't runt that little weave often. We run it when we're in a half court offense. We have a tendency to stand around in the half court and our offense gets very stagnant. We don't even do it very often when we are slow down. I haven't noticed the percentage of times it got us a good luck or resulted in a t/o but it does get us moving. When we're stopped and running a half court offense it's not like without it we are some scoring juggernaut. 

I really liked how Yuri dished the ball to Hargrove on the breakaway. He had an easy uncontested layup himself but instead chose to give the ball to his teammate who hasn't played much this year. Yuri gets it. 

Agree with your comment on Yuri dishing to Hargrove on the breakaway. Of all 11 of his assists - some dazzling - this one was my favorite. It was an easy two for Yuri. But he put himself aside to lift up a teammate who needed it. That’s a real teammate.

Zink, slu72 and slufanskip like this

8 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

.   this is the most excited i've been about the billikens as a whole since the claggett, highmark and h days.   good times!

??? Can you tell us what you have against the Majerus era? No offense, but his three best Billiken teams would have blown Claggett, Highmark, and H off the floor.

5 hours ago, Adman said:

Agree with your comment on Yuri dishing to Hargrove on the breakaway. Of all 11 of his assists - some dazzling - this one was my favorite. It was an easy two for Yuri. But he put himself aside to lift up a teammate who needed it. That’s a real teammate.

that shows how much he loves those As.

18 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

The Claggett, Highmark, and H teams certainly were exciting, but we’re they more exciting than the teams from 2011-2014, or did you just dislike Majerus so much that you couldn’t get excited about his players?

yes

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

B'Roy's never hid his animosity towards Rickma. He's conceded Rickma was a BB genius but a horrible person. I don't agree, since Rick's boys would run thru a wall for him. 

People are complex. There are guys who are nice to everybody.  There are guys who are mean to everybody. And there are other guys who are nice to people that benefit them in some way and can be mean-spirited when they have no use for you. The people who dislike Rickma recognize him as the latter type.

14 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Roy. Have you changed your views as to Coach Ford now that he is running an up-tempo offense and applying full-court pressure?

i continue to think he is a fantastic recruiter, probably the best recruiter ever at saint louis university.   i also believe he is a fantastic motivator.   a lot of the success he has achieved since coming to saint louis university can be attributed to his ability to get his team to play all out and motivate them to be all they can be.  

however i am still not a believer in his x's and o's and his ability to assist the players in their development as basketball players.  i was greatly encouraged with the recent hiring of ray giacoletti who is reputed to be strong in x's and o's and player development.   i watched the last game giacoletti interaction on the bench and he obviously is very involved and that gives me great hope for countering the aspects that ford hasnt been as good in.  

SLU_Lax likes this

21 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

People are complex. There are guys who are nice to everybody.  There are guys who are mean to everybody. And there are other guys who are nice to people that benefit them in some way and can be mean-spirited when they have no use for you. The people who dislike Rickma recognize him as the latter type.

You say people are complex and then you immediately try to lump everyone into 3 distinct groups.  I have no idea if Rick was a "good" person or a "bad" person (whatever those mean).  He was a hell of a basketball coach who seemed to have a polarizing personality.  Outside of that he seemed to have a positive impact on people close to him and those people deeply cared about him.  At the same time, he rubbed many people the wrong way.  You seem to be saying that he rubbed those people the wrong way because he had no use for them, I'd disagree because those people included several very talented basketball players.  Ultimately, I don't think any of us likely knew him well enough to form much of an opinion.

23 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i continue to think he is a fantastic recruiter, probably the best recruiter ever at saint louis university.   i also believe he is a fantastic motivator.   a lot of the success he has achieved since coming to saint louis university can be attributed to his ability to get his team to play all out and motivate them to be all they can be.  

however i am still not a believer in his x's and o's and his ability to assist the players in their development as basketball players.  i was greatly encouraged with the recent hiring of ray giacoletti who is reputed to be strong in x's and o's and player development.   i watched the last game giacoletti interaction on the bench and he obviously is very involved and that gives me great hope for countering the aspects that ford hasnt been as good in.  

OK.   Do you believe running an up-tempo offense and applying full-court pressure is a good X's and o's decision by Ford?   

And if Yuri does not increase his FT shooting percentage, will that be on Coach Ford as well?

13 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

You say people are complex and then you immediately try to lump everyone into 3 distinct groups.  I have no idea if Rick was a "good" person or a "bad" person (whatever those mean).  He was a hell of a basketball coach who seemed to have a polarizing personality.  Outside of that he seemed to have a positive impact on people close to him and those people deeply cared about him.  At the same time, he rubbed many people the wrong way.  You seem to be saying that he rubbed those people the wrong way because he had no use for them, I'd disagree because those people included several very talented basketball players.  Ultimately, I don't think any of us likely knew him well enough to form much of an opinion.

Rick had very little time for anything but basketball.  I saw him in action dealing with CSRs at my office and he was gruff, direct and demanding.  His demeanor was never disrespectful but it wasn't warm and inviting for sure.  He was the kind of guy who would call out the opposing team's players by number rather than name.  In my VERY limited experience with him he came off like a genius who didn't have time to get everyone around him up to his speed.  There are a lot of coaches like that, Jimmy Johnson was one......

SShoe likes this

40 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

OK.   Do you believe running an up-tempo offense and applying full-court pressure is a good X's and o's decision by Ford?   

And if Yuri does not increase his FT shooting percentage, will that be on Coach Ford as well?

if yuri by the time he is a senior is not shooting better free throw percentage, yes, i would say that ford should have been able to help him get better.   since yuri shot acceptable level of free throws in high school, i doubt that this is going to be a long term issue.   he will be fine on his own.  

and yes, speeding up the game is a great decision.   one i believe we should have done the last two years at least to some degree.   about time.  it really was a no brainer considering the talent the billikens have.

13 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

if yuri by the time he is a senior is not shooting better free throw percentage, yes, i would say that ford should have been able to help him get better.   since yuri shot acceptable level of free throws in high school, i doubt that this is going to be a long term issue.   he will be fine on his own.  

and yes, speeding up the game is a great decision.   one i believe we should have done the last two years at least to some degree.   about time.  it really was a no brainer considering the talent the billikens have.

So running an up-tempo offense and applying full-court pressure with 6 healthy players would have been a good x's and o's decision last year?

RUBillsFan likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

As to X’s and O’s, I will say that Ford is outstanding in running plays underneath the opponent’s basket..I remember the Crew’s days, where our primary play was to throw the ball in to the backcourt...

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Those are three obvious data points along a continuum that I mentioned just for the sake of conversation.  RickMa was perceived by his detractors as resembling the third data point.  I agree that the reality was more nuanced than that. 

I don't believe in "good" or "bad" people.  There are just people, who are products of their genetics and their environment.  They can't help being who they are.  

RUBillsFan likes this