2019-20 Season

Fred was unusually frustrated against Valpo with a couple of ticky tack fouls, then bad defense where he was beat and got called for legit hand-checks. He has the speed and quickness to be a great defender so not sure why he struggled last night on that end. I believe he'll be a valuable contributor on both ends but it looks like he'll be more of a role player this year. That's not a knock on him, what I mean is every team benefits from a great defender, one who can root out rebounds, get second chance points, and make FTs.

Fred has the stroke to be a good shooter but I'm not sure we'll need him from the perimeter that much. At any given time, Jordan, Demarius, and Yuri will control the ball and they'll be looking to drive, shoot, or find the open man. If Fred's role turns out to be that of a "junkyard dog" where he does a few key things very well, then he'll be an important contributor.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Fred has the stroke to be a good shooter but I'm not sure we'll need him from the perimeter that much. At any given time, Jordan, Demarius, and Yuri will control the ball and they'll be looking to drive, shoot, or find the open man. If Fred's role turns out to be that of a "junkyard dog" where he does a few key things very well, then he'll be an important contributor.

Could not disagree more. We need Fred as a major contributor- last year’s role is not sufficient this year. 

7 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Refs effectively took Thatch and Has out of the game for us. Frustrating, but typical of the kind of officiating we usually get in the A10. Fred will learn to make adjustments in the future. 

No.  Valpo played a slower down offense and the refs called a close game.  French and Thatch both made obvious and dumb fouls.  French still battled and contributed with points, rebounds and interior presence.  Thatch, though, never engaged - we need more than him attempting only 2 shots for the game. 

Sheltiedave likes this

4 hours ago, Old guy said:

I believe you got a good game last night, hope you liked it.

I also want to  mention to you that you need a thick hide to post here, sooner or later for reasons unknown to you someone will get antagonistic to you. Happens to everybody, just place the guy in ignore and move on, do not waste time with him/them. Oh, forgot to tell, the use of language is a bit loose at times, you start typing a thought and then you think of something else while you type so two things become three things very easily. Enjoy, this is going to be a very good season, my opinion, not everybody else's.

Well said. it's a place to talk about the team. if there's a better place to be able to do that 24/7 let me know.Ignore doesn't have to be literally blocking just think to yourself *** the guy or I'm an idiot and move on. I come here to find out about the team and hope some insiders info. what little of that I found when first coming on. also to share insights, funny asides, etc. If all of us were afraid to weigh in there'd be nothing to read.

9 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

Our pressing defence, and our higher tempo offence, at times results in chaos...... if ever there were a player created to excell in chaos, it is Jordan Goodwin.

I gotta tell ya, I am so dang impressed with JGood this year. Seems like the D1 game has slowed down for him and he looks really composed this year. He is on a different level so far this year. 

Zink likes this

3 hours ago, almaman said:

We need first game of HF ,FT2, GJ, JP with second game Hankton & Jacobs. Stir into the locally sourced YuriGoodwin Pasta and enjoy.

Speaking of Hankton - those were ready to scrap the plan to play him inside where are they now.  KC played well in that spot given that with French in foul trouble he was all we had to plug in and he did well.

Just now, cheeseman said:

Speaking of Hankton - those were ready to scrap the plan to play him inside where are they now.  KC played well in that spot given that with French in foul trouble he was all we had to plug in and he did well.

Agreed. And we're definitely going to need more games like that from him this year as French will get in foul trouble multiple times this season. 

14 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Crickets, I said it months ago

Hankton will have a role

If I had to give 3 stars for the game vs Valpo, definitely Goodwin gets the star of the game; however, Jacobs is close behind (mostly for his first half performance) and Hankton gets the third star.  But for KC and his rebounds, shots, defense and FTs, we lose that game.  Very impressed. Maybe our Sophomore class is better than people realize. 

1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

I gotta tell ya, I am so dang impressed with JGood this year. Seems like the D1 game has slowed down for him and he looks really composed this year. He is on a different level so far this year. 

A10 player of the year candidate if he keeps it up. He's going to need to hit ft's though. He has been all over the court on both sides and he brings energy that makes this team run. He's becoming one of my favorite bills of all time. Hope he keeps it up.

bills10 likes this

26 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

A10 player of the year candidate if he keeps it up. He's going to need to hit ft's though. He has been all over the court on both sides and he brings energy that makes this team run. He's becoming one of my favorite bills of all time. Hope he keeps it up.

Agreed on all accounts. 

Did anyone else watch the Davidson auburn game?  Surprised Davidson kept it as close considering they went 35% from 3 and only 32% from inside. JAG and grady combined for 11 points, would have figured they would lose by 20+ with that.

Anyway, one game is too hard to forecast but auburn especially given their ranked status did not impress.  It'll still be a home game for them(against us), but I dont see the guaranteed L I thought 2 weeks ago. 

26 minutes ago, disgruntledbilliken said:

Anybody know what home attendance has been like in terms of numbers compared to last season?

Sorry if I missed this somewhere else. Curious to see if the momentum is translating to attendance. 

avg first 2 last year: 6,225

avg first 2 this year: 6,275

And last year included semo in that

48 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Did anyone else watch the Davidson auburn game?  Surprised Davidson kept it as close considering they went 35% from 3 and only 32% from inside. JAG and grady combined for 11 points, would have figured they would lose by 20+ with that.

Anyway, one game is too hard to forecast but auburn especially given their ranked status did not impress.  It'll still be a home game for them(against us), but I dont see the guaranteed L I thought 2 weeks ago. 

The best time to play ranked teams is the first couple of weeks of the season. They're working out the bugs the same as we are.

The major challenge here is this is the first game where we won't hold an athletic advantage at most of the positions on the floor. For example, either Thatch or Goodwin would be matched up with 6'6 225 lb Isaac Okoro, who effectively shut down Jon Axel while scoring 17 himself.

4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The best time to play ranked teams is the first couple of week of the seasons. They're working out the bugs the same as we are.

The major challenge here is this is the first game where we won't hold an athletic advantage at most of the positions on the floor. For example, either Thatch or Goodwin would be matched up with 6'6 225 lb Isaac Okoro, who effectively shut down Jon Axel while scoring 17 himself.

They are big and strong. Ain't no beanpoles on Auburn. That will be a tough game.