2019-20 Season

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

well nothing by eyesight looked different on either at the line.   i hope they were just nervous and regressed in the heat of the moment and will show their new skills going forward.   

If you watched French, you are simply mistaken if you think his free throw stroke looked the same as it did last year.  His shot actually looked good, the ball had good rotation, he was on-line, etc.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

like i said, multiple successes will go a long way to proving me wrong.    

But isn't it too early to declare French and Goodwin as shooting "failures" after just two years? They have two more years to go.

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

A10 Talk preview of the Bills.

https://www.a10talk.com/saint-louis-season-preview-it-all-hangs-on-jordan-goodwin/

"Fred Thatch can serve as a secondary scorer, a strong defender and together with Goodwin, forms the Most Likely Backcourt To Be Mistaken For Linebackers."

Great preview by Jack, but I am not sure if I agree with his statement that "Yuri Collins...doesn’t need to be ball-dominant." My sample size is small, but my quick observation is that Yuri is at his best and most comfortable when he has the ball. 

16 minutes ago, davidnark said:

Great preview by Jack, but I am not sure if I agree with his statement that "Yuri Collins...doesn’t need to be ball-dominant." My sample size is small, but my quick observation is that Yuri is at his best and most comfortable when he has the ball. 

Agreed. If he’s not ball dominant what’s his strength? 

46 minutes ago, davidnark said:

I wonder if he's trying to say he doesn't need to take a lot of shots or be a scorer.  IMO this is totally different than being ball-dominant.  The consensus seems to be that Yuri needs the ball in his hands to create for others and he's not going to be a spot up shooter type.

brianstl and Littlebill like this

When it comes to the starting lineup.  At this point i would like to see:
Bell, at the 5, We are going to need him this year, to allow French to play the 4 against bigger and better teams.  It also helps keep French out of early foul trouble .
French at the 4.  He is our most dominant player and forces teams to double him.
Goodwin, he is on everybodies starting lineup.
Jimmmerson, He is probably our best sniper and his defence is pretty good.  We need a guy to stretch the floor.
Collins, Put me in the Yurimania camp.  I was super impressed with his team management and comfort on the floor.

This lineup puts pressure on the other teams defence.  They have to double French, and can't afford to lose track of Jimmmerson on the perimeter.  That opens things up for Goodwin and Collins.  Once things start clicking for Bell, he will also be open for some easy layups, when they double French. 

OK, I know that is 3 starting with 3 freshmen on the floor and Thatch isn't in this lineup.
I think Fred would be better coming off of the bench.  Untill he starts hitting his 3s at a better rate, it makes it hard to start him.  I think for things to click at this part of the season, we need at least 2 of our 3 returners on the floor all of the time.  So if French or Goodwin come out, we need Thatch on the floor.

Ford now also has the ability to put out diffent starting lineups and rotations based on the opponents streanths and weaknesses.  There will be games where he may want Thatch on the floor to shut down big scorer.   Or a small team where French can dominate at the 5, Bell will sit more.   We have not had this kind of flexibility in a long time. 

Spoon-Balls and Zink like this

2 hours ago, Aquinas said:

Bell, at the 5, We are going to need him this year, to allow French to play the 4 against bigger and better teams.  It also helps keep French out of early foul trouble .
French at the 4.  He is our most dominant player and forces teams to double him.
Jimmmerson, He is probably our best sniper and his defence is pretty good.  We need a guy to stretch the floor.
Collins, Put me in the Yurimania camp.  I was super impressed with his team management and comfort on the floor.

This lineup puts pressure on the other teams defence.  They have to double French, and can't afford to lose track of Jimmmerson on the perimeter.  That opens things up for Goodwin and Collins.  Once things start clicking for Bell, he will also be open for some easy layups, when they double French. 

OK, I know that is 3 starting with 3 freshmen on the floor and Thatch isn't in this lineup.
I think Fred would be better coming off of the bench.  Untill he starts hitting his 3s at a better rate, it makes it hard to start him.  I think for things to click at this part of the season, we need at least 2 of our 3 returners on the floor all of the time.  So if French or Goodwin come out, we need Thatch on the floor.

Ford now also has the ability to put out diffent starting lineups and rotations based on the opponents streanths and weaknesses.  There will be games where he may want Thatch on the floor to shut down big scorer.   Or a small team where French can dominate at the 5, Bell will sit more.   We have not had this kind of flexibility in a long time. 

We got the big lead because Thatch didn't let their main scorer get off in the first place. Once you bring in Jimerson and Perkins, that gives our team a different look and a few well-timed threes to extend the lead.

Our calling card is still our defense. Impose our will in the first five minutes and demoralize them with some quick hit offense off the bench.

Edited by 3star_recruit
Cincybill and Compton like this

I agree with 3 Star.  Defense needs to be the first priority.  If we were a football team, we'd be choosing to kick every time to start the game.  Thatch needs to be in.  I agree with Yuri.  He's such a sparkplug for us and not a defensive liability that we need him in.  Let Jacobs come of the bench and earn his time.  Jacobs has physically superior attributes to Yuri, but the proof is in the puddin.

With regard to Bell, I like what I've seen, but everyone keeps referencing that he allows French to move to the 4 which helps our offense.  Problem is, he is starting, but only getting about 13 minutes a game.  If he an Diarra could split a bit more time, that would help, but right now, French is still mostly playing 5.

4 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I agree with 3 Star.  Defense needs to be the first priority.  If we were a football team, we'd be choosing to kick every time to start the game.  Thatch needs to be in.  I agree with Yuri.  He's such a sparkplug for us and not a defensive liability that we need him in.  Let Jacobs come of the bench and earn his time.  Jacobs has physically superior attributes to Yuri, but the proof is in the puddin.

With regard to Bell, I like what I've seen, but everyone keeps referencing that he allows French to move to the 4 which helps our offense.  Problem is, he is starting, but only getting about 13 minutes a game.  If he an Diarra could split a bit more time, that would help, but right now, French is still mostly playing 5.

There has been one game, so it is hard to get a read on any player.

Remember Ford said he isn't necessarily starting his best five, he is starting the five he needs to start.  That to me is all about matchups.  Chances are good we may have many, many different variations of starting lineup. 

And as I always said, it's the minutes, not who starts. 

Littlebill likes this

2 hours ago, Aquinas said:

Thatch is starting. He's a game changer defensively and though his 3's didn't fall he was 4/8 from the field and 3/4 from the line with 6 boards and 2 steals in 19 minutes. His offensive production was on par with Goodwin's on a per minute basis and ahead of Jimmmerson's. That prediction someone made of Fred Thatch averaging in the low single digits this year still makes me chuckle. 

5 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Thatch is starting. He's a game changer defensively and though his 3's didn't fall he was 4/8 from the field and 3/4 from the line with 6 boards and 2 steals in 19 minutes. His offensive production was on par with Goodwin's on a per minute basis and ahead of Jimmmerson's. That prediction someone made of Fred Thatch averaging in the low single digits this year still makes me chuckle. 

That was Pistol's buddy on the House That Rick Built. I know everyone is enamored with three point shooting but the 2 point shot has not been oulawed. You can still score on layups, offensive boards, mid-range jumpers and transition buckets.

1 hour ago, Aquinas said:

Good comments. I cannot say you are wrong but I also cannot agree either.

In my opinion your lineup involves four players who are not a threat from the perimeter. Instead, only Jimerson would be an outside shooter and while I may be head of the Jimerson fan club, even I  do not believe he alone can provide the necessary space for the other four.  Also, way  too much pressure to put on any one player – especially a freshman.

22 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Thatch is starting. He's a game changer defensively and though his 3's didn't fall he was 4/8 from the field and 3/4 from the line with 6 boards and 2 steals in 19 minutes. 

Yes, Thatch is starting, but no, his 3's not falling is a real problem.  Your production stats miss the real point.  Our offense will NOT click if we have too many guys whose perimeter shots don't fall:   Goodwin and French are not the answer as far as perimeter shooting is concerned and if Thatch doesn't have his 3's fall (or even his mid-range shots fall as 3 Star suggests), then we will have trouble - and alot of it.  Keep in mind, most of Thatch's shots were layups and 5 footers following hard work, hustle and offensive rebounding -- same as Goodwin and French.   We cannot have 3 such grinders, and then throw in more guys who don't shoot -- Bell, Diarra, Yuri... IMO, we need 2 shooters at all times.

The reason these 3 guys had the success they did, was because:  1) FGCU also wanted to run and not pack the lane; and 2) Jimerson knocked down 3 and Weaver knocked down his 2 and then Perkins made shots, Yuri even hit 1 and then Jacobs made 2 during the final garbage minutes.