2019-20 Season

10 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

So you are basing a summer long effort on one exhibition game?  Goodwin plus French took a grand total of 4 FT attempts. 

French has jumped all the way from 35% to 50%!!!!! That's HUGE improvement. Unfortunately, Goodwin looks like he will end the year with a goose egg.

BTW, Thatch was 2-2 after hitting 61% last season.  What did you see in his two attempts?  Different routine, different mechanics?

well nothing by eyesight looked different on either at the line.   i hope they were just nervous and regressed in the heat of the moment and will show their new skills going forward.   

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

nope.   i think bess did that on his own.   bess was an extremely high character guy that was on a mission to prove izzo wrong and get a shot at the next level and did what he had to do to get better.   i wish we had that kind of character and heart with every player.  but that is a man that comes around every couple of decades likely.  

So the coach gets no credit for Bess improving his shooting, yet he only gets blame when other players don't improve their shooting? 

SShoe, CBFan, HoosierPal and 1 other like this

5 minutes ago, ACE said:

So the coach gets no credit for Bess improving his shooting, yet he only gets blame when other players don't improve their shooting? 

well maybe if we see success with more than one player in 4 years it would be easier to give coach ford some credit.  we all read and heard about the incredible hard work and sacrifice that bess put in to get to the player he became.   and yes, maybe the other players need to replicate that ethic as well.  but they also need to show they changed something besides hours of late night and early morning work to reach their goals.   imo that would be the mechanical fix that i would expect from a coach.  

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

well maybe if we see success with more than one player in 4 years it would be easier to give coach ford some credit.  we all read and heard about the incredible hard work and sacrifice that bess put in to get to the player he became.   and yes, maybe the other players need to replicate that ethic as well.  but they also need to show they changed something besides hours of late night and early morning work to reach their goals.   imo that would be the mechanical fix that i would expect from a coach.  

French has gotten better in every aspect Of his game except free throwing shooing. It seems like is psychological. This is weird to blame Ford. 

Just now, RiseAndGrind said:

French has gotten better in every aspect Of his game except free throwing shooing. It seems like is psychological. This is weird to blame Ford. 

so you like that jump hook coming across the lane about 8 feet from the basket?    cant tell you the last time french made one of those. 

Teaching and learning are two very different things. A teacher can teach all kinds of things, and the people he is training may not get but a few of the things taught. Teachers teach, they want to  do so. Students may or may not learn, depending on the student.

22 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

nope.   i think bess did that on his own.   bess was an extremely high character guy that was on a mission to prove izzo wrong and get a shot at the next level and did what he had to do to get better.   i wish we had that kind of character and heart with every player.  but that is a man that comes around every couple of decades likely.  

This is unbelievable. The only word that makes sense here is I "think".  So you are basing this statement on nothing but your thinking?  What did Javon say when you asked him about Ford working on his shot?  What did Ford tell you on the same question?

I'm not doubting Bess' commitment.  But to erase Ford's input into the equation is beyond belief.

dlarry likes this

Anyways, taking the entire family to the game tomorrow night. Heading to Rally House in a bit to get the 5 year old and 11 month old some fresh gear. Can't wait, my girls have never been to a game! 

I noticed they're offering a buy one get one for tomorrow night. No excuses for large sections of empty seats tomorrow night....

RiseAndGrind and Westy03 like this

3 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I noticed they're offering a buy one get one for tomorrow night. No excuses for large sections of empty seats tomorrow night....

especially considering its the first game since the major run that led to a tournament birth

4 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Anyways, taking the entire family to the game tomorrow night. Heading to Rally House in a bit to get the 5 year old and 11 month old some fresh gear. Can't wait, my girls have never been to a game! 

Hell yeah. Way to grow the fan base. 

27 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

the excuse will remain,  those are corporate seats that are already sold.   blame the corporations that show no interest in giving out the tickets if they are going to go unused.  

good for you bringing the whole family.   i hope the kiddos have a ball.   

32 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

the excuse will remain,  those are corporate seats that are already sold.   blame the corporations that show no interest in giving out the tickets if they are going to go unused.  

good for you bringing the whole family.   i hope the kiddos have a ball.   

Yeah those all-inclusive tickets behind the benches tend to have some bare spots throughout the season. Sat there for the home opener against Seattle 2 years ago. They are awesome seats considering how close you are to the court and the fact you don't have to drop a dime once inside Chaifetz (if you're cheap and don't tip). Seeing them empty every home game is incredibly frustrating for so many reasons. If these corps aren't going to use them for themselves or clients, give them away to charities/underserved families in the area that can go to the game and eat/drink for free!

I was mostly referring to the "upper deck" portion of Chaifetz. There are a ton of seats available and with BOGO you can get two tickets in the corner for $15. That is $33 cheaper than 2 tickets to a St. Louis Battlehawks game.

5 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Yeah those all-inclusive tickets behind the benches tend to have some bare spots throughout the season. Sat there for the home opener against Seattle 2 years ago. They are awesome seats considering how close you are to the court and the fact you don't have to drop a dime once inside Chaifetz (if you're cheap and don't tip). Seeing them empty every home game is incredibly frustrating for so many reasons. If these corps aren't going to use them for themselves or clients, give them away to charities/undeserved families in the area that can go to the game and eat/drink for free!

I was mostly referring to the "upper deck" portion of Chaifetz. There are a ton of seats available and with BOGO you can get two tickets in the corner for $15. That is $33 cheaper than 2 tickets to a St. Louis Battlehawks game.

I'm guessing you meant "under-served" rather than undeserved?  Funny how with some words one little letter makes all the difference!

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

well nothing by eyesight looked different on either at the line.   i hope they were just nervous and regressed in the heat of the moment and will show their new skills going forward.   

I think its 80% mental . I am told both make a high percentage in practice. If we don’t use a sport psychologist we should.. 

rgbilliken likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

like i said, multiple successes will go a long way to proving me wrong.    

Isabel was a undisciplined, selfish streetballer when he arrived at SLU.  He looked to me like he learned very little since leaving Mizzou a few years prior.  Less than a year later,  he left our team as a leader and A10 Champion who took us back to the Dance. Does Ford get any credit for him?

1 minute ago, willie said:

I think its 80% mental . I am told both make a high percentage in practice. If we don’t use a sport psychologist we should.. 

Coach Ford alluded on yesterday's interview on KMOX that it's difficult to simulate the game-time pressure of free throws in practice.

SLU also had a deal for $5 corner tickets with the promo code: FIVE, but that seems to have expired.

Following the link in the tweet above, you can see there are a large amount of unsold tickets.  I'm going to be disappointed, but not surprised if attendance isn't great.  I know it is the home opener, but it is also a Tuesday night game against an opponent who isn't a very big name.  Traditionally, mid-week non-conference games against weak opponents are very poorly attended.  Attendance is historically better for weekend games and is better during conference play.  If I had to guess an attendance total, I'd guess around 6,000 for tomorrow (attendance our opener on a Tuesday last season vs SEMO was 6,028).   Maybe we do a little better coming off an NCAA appearance, but I think expectations going into last year were higher than this year.  I hope I'm wrong and we see stronger attendance.

1 minute ago, RUBillsFan said:

SLU also had a deal for $5 corner tickets with the promo code: FIVE, but that seems to have expired.

Following the link in the tweet above, you can see there are a large amount of unsold tickets.  I'm going to be disappointed, but not surprised if attendance isn't great.  I know it is the home opener, but it is also a Tuesday night game against an opponent who isn't a very big name.  Traditionally, mid-week non-conference games against weak opponents are very poorly attended.  Attendance is historically better for weekend games and is better during conference play.  If I had to guess an attendance total, I'd guess around 6,000 for tomorrow (attendance our opener on a Tuesday last season vs SEMO was 6,028).   Maybe we do a little better coming off an NCAA appearance, but I think expectations going into last year were higher than this year.  I hope I'm wrong and we see stronger attendance.

I’d like to think having a couple local kids helps.

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Great point. Not just Fred (somewhat local) and Jordan any longer. A lot of local flavor this year with the additions of Javonte, Yuri, and TJ.  I think i'm most excited to see a Yuri to TJ monster alley-oop tomorrow night. Assuming Hargrove logs some minutes...

9 minutes ago, wgstl said:

We had that last year though with Gordon and Goodwin (plus Thatch depending upon your definition of local).  I do think it helps a little, but it's not a major factor.

If I were in charge, I'd do a CYC / schools / youth sports night where they give out* a bunch of free tickets for the exhibition game and I'd make the promo items given out a magnetic schedule and coupons for discounted tickets to select mid-week games later in the year.  I'd want to try to pack the place as full as possible for the exhibition so that I make sure as many people as possible #1 know the season has started, #2 have a schedule for the rest of the games, and #3 think they can get a "deal" on games later on (even though you may end up running similar promos for anyone to use later on).

2 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

We had that last year though with Gordon and Goodwin (plus Thatch depending upon your definition of local).  I do think it helps a little, but it's not a major factor.

If I were in charge, I'd do a CYC / schools / youth sports night where they give out* a bunch of free tickets for the exhibition game and I'd make the promo items given out a magnetic schedule and coupons for discounted tickets to select mid-week games later in the year.  I'd want to try to pack the place as full as possible for the exhibition so that I make sure as many people as possible #1 know the season has started, #2 have a schedule for the rest of the games, and #3 think they can get a "deal" on games later on (even though you may end up running similar promos for anyone to use later on).

On one of the radio spots that was posted to the board last week, I heard it summed up nicely.  Essentially, winning brings the fans and excitement.  Winning with local kids sends the excitement over the top. 

2 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

On one of the radio spots that was posted to the board last week, I heard it summed up nicely.  Essentially, winning brings the fans and excitement.  Winning with local kids sends the excitement over the top. 

I guess its due to my ties to south city, but ive heard more excitement about yuri/st marys than any  local kid not named Gordon in a long time. 

7 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

as Moy said, while yes we had gordon and goodwin, we were still upset about s2.