2019-20 Season

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">At <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SLU?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#SLU</a> hoops practice, Travis Ford told me if the season started today that freshman Jimmy Bell (6’10, 270 lbs) would start. Also said freshman Yuri Collins, point guard from St. Mary’s, will play a ton of minutes.</p>&mdash; Charlie Marlow (@CharlieMarlow_) <a href="https://twitter.com/CharlieMarlow_/status/1184926378602520576?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 17, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bell, French, ?, Goodwin, Thatch? Who fills that question mark? Wonder if Perkins is still adjusting. Jimmmmmerson? I have a feeling if he doesn't start right off the bat, Yuri will be starting games by December. Not that it really matters who starts the game...

3 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

At #SLU hoops practice, Travis Ford told me if the season started today that freshman Jimmy Bell (6’10, 270 lbs) would start. Also said freshman Yuri Collins, point guard from St. Mary’s, will play a ton of minutes.

— Charlie Marlow (@CharlieMarlow_) October 17, 2019

Bell, French, ?, Goodwin, Thatch? Who fills that question mark? Wonder if Perkins is still adjusting. Jimmmmmerson? 

i would think jimmerson

4 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

At #SLU hoops practice, Travis Ford told me if the season started today that freshman Jimmy Bell (6’10, 270 lbs) would start. Also said freshman Yuri Collins, point guard from St. Mary’s, will play a ton of minutes. — Charlie Marlow (@CharlieMarlow_) October 17, 2019

I think this is good news...I am being an optimist and thinking it shows how well the freshman are doing.  Bell being a day #1 starter is extremely impressive (if it happens).

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i would think jimmerson

That would make for an interesting starting 5.  Plenty of rebounding with JB, HF, FT Jr., JG with a true outside threat in JIMERSON.  (I don't know who jimmerson is 😝)

19 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Bell, French, ?, Goodwin, Thatch?

I'm likely going to get raked over the coals for this, but I don't think Thatch starts.  I think he will get the 3rd (or even 2nd if French struggles w foul trouble) most minutes of anyone on the team.  He'll likely close out games too if he can hit FTs better than 65%.

The reason I don't think he starts is because they'll basically use him as the steadying presence on the floor when subs come in.  Starting him on the bench allows you to spread out the minutes of the more experienced players and also spread out the outside shooting.

IMO if Bell is in the starting lineup, then it goes Bell, French, Perkins, Weaver, Goodwin.  Weaver and Perkins can provide the outside shooting.  I'm imagining that Bell is going to be the 1st guy who needs a breather in that group and then Thatch comes in while French sides to the 5 and Perkins sneaks some time as the 4 or Hankton subs in for Perkins.  Eventually when Goodwin and/or French need to a breathe, Thatch stays on to provide the veteran leadership.

CBFan likes this

The Jimmy Bell news is very encouraging given that we'd all rather see Hasahn at the 4. If Yuri doesn't start at PG, then I'd give the nod to Jimerson. Someone has posted that Perkins ain't picking things up as fast as we'd hoped. Also, I could see Thatch in the key 6th man role. 

It will be interesting to see how many minutes Bell can stay on the floor per shift.  "Reports" were that he needed to get into shape.  Minutes count, who finishes counts; who starts is only window dressing.  As we all know, Goodwin, Thatch and French will get as many minutes as they can handle.  They will start, and they will play.

I've been promoting the idea of Bell playing significant minutes for quite awhile.  Primarily because I think it gives us a chance for French to dominate as a power forward.  One way to look at it, is that French, within the A10, is probably an grade A power forward and a B center. If Bell can play at a C level, we have a combined B at the post positions. If French plays center, I don't see any of our guards playing above a C level as a power forward. So we would then average C+ at the post positions.  

French at the 5 is also more prone to foul trouble.

I would like to see a commitment to French at the 4, starting Bell, and backing him up with Hankton and Madani.  As we only have 4 bigs, at least one of the guards will get significant minutes at power forward, so I will forecast Perkins, as he has JC experience there and is taller than the other guards.

Playing Bell and French at the same time makes us a big scary team. I like the idea of the big Billiken Bruisers overpowering weaker opponents.

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'm likely going to get raked over the coals for this, but I don't think Thatch starts.  I think he will get the 3rd (or even 2nd if French struggles w foul trouble) most minutes of anyone on the team.  He'll likely close out games too if he can hit FTs better than 65%.

The reason I don't think he starts is because they'll basically use him as the steadying presence on the floor when subs come in.  Starting him on the bench allows you to spread out the minutes of the more experienced players and also spread out the outside shooting.

IMO if Bell is in the starting lineup, then it goes Bell, French, Perkins, Weaver, Goodwin.  Weaver and Perkins can provide the outside shooting.  I'm imagining that Bell is going to be the 1st guy who needs a breather in that group and then Thatch comes in while French sides to the 5 and Perkins sneaks some time as the 4 or Hankton subs in for Perkins.  Eventually when Goodwin and/or French need to a breathe, Thatch stays on to provide the veteran leadership.

Did you forget Jimerson entirely?   Thatch offers defense which will get him minutes no matter what. But he will only be part of the Big Three if she really shoots it well.  I would go with at least 2 outside shooters at all times -- Weaver, Jimerson, Perkins... and if they perform, then add Thatch and Jacobs to this mix.

And if Bell is as good as advertised and starts, then I would like to still see us run a 4-1 w/o French - though I think French will start.

54 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Lol “starting is for hs” 

look how far this board has evolved :)

I get the idea that starting is for HS. However, anyone who thinks it's not important to the player is fooling themselves. You can possibly sell a kid on it being best for the team and he/she accepts a role but 9 out of 10 times that same kid really wants to start

I like what RU is selling ...... and while I think wgstl's starting five echoes most of the board's early sentiment, that can't happen for me.  With both Thatch and Goodwin at guard, you lose out on the upperclass leadership on the floor come sub time. That's why RU makes sense to me.  Plus with both Goodwin and Thatch you know we are lacking for any exterior firepower.  The Bell news is decent; and from what I've heard, the real question on Perkins Littlebill is even if he starts,does he stay long?  I think we will see more Hankton at first then we will Perkins because of the promise shown with Hankton having a year int he system but I've been known to be wrong before.  

And still mostly quiet on the Jacobs front.  

38 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I get the idea that starting is for HS. However, anyone who thinks it's not important to the player is fooling themselves. You can possibly sell a kid on it being best for the team and he/she accepts a role but 9 out of 10 times that same kid really wants to start

Where were you the past 2 years while this board went after me about starting haha 

Maybe this doesn't matter, but in all the recent practice videos, the mystery guard who is practicing in the unit with the starters is...................

Jacobs!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">🎥 | Prep for <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TeamBlue?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#TeamBlue</a> continues. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Billikens?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Billikens</a> 🔵⚪️ <a href="https://t.co/9laUHTC7sk">pic.twitter.com/9laUHTC7sk</a></p>&mdash; SLU Men&#39;s Basketball (@SaintLouisMBB) <a href="https://twitter.com/SaintLouisMBB/status/1184848475541966848?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 17, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>