2019-20 Season

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Oh come on. You actually think we have a D1 staff that doesn't teach fundamentals or particularly shot mechanics? Why do the players always seem to get a pass? If they don't learn it's always they weren't coached not they didn't or couldn't learn.

If I had Jordan Goodwin's natural athleticism and abilities, I can tell you with 100% certainty, I'd be able to shoot. I don't care if I had to download mechanics off the internet to learn, somehow, some way I'd learn. If he could hit high 30's from 3 he'd be an NBA prospect.

I've given private shooting lessons to kids from Elementary school through college. First lesson, I ask them all this question. Do you believe I can make you a great shooter, all of them answer yes. It's the wrong answer. Only they can make themselves great. It's up to the player. It's the coach's job to teach and show and correct. It's the players responsibility to work on it. And by work I mean focus and self correct while putting in the reps and the work not just go through the motions.

You think bad results mean the players aren't getting taught. I don't buy it.  

Players like Goodwin and French who's main attributes are strength and athleticism generally excel at effort parts of the game. They have been failed by coaches and a mentality that puts far too much emphasis on winning at a young age. It's not their college coaches as winning is too relevant at that stage. By no means am I saying Goodwin doesn't put in effort. Hell, just watch him play, effort and motor is what his game is about. Somewhere down his line (and I'd put French in the same category) someone should have held him accountable to put in the technical or fundamental work even it's going to cost your team some games. They don't take their 7th grade won/loss record with them. Hell they won't even remember it 3/4 years later. They will take the skills learned forward and it'll make a lot more difference in their career then that 42-17 win over xxxxx team in 8th grade

They put in the effort but are reinforcing mistakes.   No one is teaching mechanics

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

They put in the effort but are reinforcing mistakes.   No one is teaching mechanics

I have a hard time believing that no one prior to SLU, or at SLU, have not tried to address the mechanics of each boy on our team.  But even assuming you are correct, at some point these are young men, adults, over the age of 18, who must accept responsibility.   If they struggle at shooting, whether generally or at FT's, they can and should seek out the help they need.   My son plays hockey, and since age 6, he has a skating coach - in addition to whatever head coach and assistance coaches he has had.   Same is, or should be, with the guys on our roster who pay for their college education, through basketball, and who probably hope to earn a financial income through basketball.

Wooden would say he never tried to coach his players on their weaknesses he thought it was better to make sure they could do what they did the best as best as possible.  He believed that the player had those weaknesses for a reason and that reason may very well be that they simply had too much trouble trying to do t he other things.  Now remember, he got very high quality players so the need to improve a weakness was less needed but I bet he would  have done something very close to what he did at UCLA.

to have sub 500 free throw percentages is ridiculous.   to have guards with sub 30 percent shooting percentages is ridiculous.  especially when they are some of the most key players on the team.  

while their other skills might get us to the end of games, these horrible shooting results will lose at the end of some big games.   we have a coach that was one of the best shooters in the world in his playing days, it makes no sense his top players cant get better.  

i have coached kids that just refused to learn shooting fundamentals, because it didnt look cool. i charted percentages with shots off the glass versus shooting over the rim and all players were much higher off the glass but they didnt want to look like tim duncan because it wasnt cool. i could guarantee better ft's with a rick barry style, but none would do it

Here's a dirty little secret - most successful college basketball coaches recruit players who are good free throw shooters in the first place. It's one less thing they have to worry about. Shooting is a fundamental skill.  You're supposed to have individual fundamentals down by the time you get to college.  While you're wasting time trying to learn a fundamental skill at age 20, your peers are learning more advanced skills and becoming better players.  

12 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Here's a dirty little secret - most successful college basketball coaches recruit players who are good free throw shooters in the first place. It's one less thing they have to worry about. Shooting is a fundamental skill.  You're supposed to have individual fundamentals down by the time you get to college.  While you're wasting time trying to learn a fundamental skill at age 20, your peers are learning more advanced skills and becoming better players.  

Fuok man now I need to take a shower 

I just reviewed the roster.  I don't have any practice insights, but i was speculating what our starting lineup might look like on day 1. We can be almost certain it will include Goodwin, French, and Thatch. I am guessing Perkins takes the 4th starting spot. So who gets the last spot?

My 1st guess is Gibson, to add shooting. My 2nd guess is Hargrove, for all around athleticism. My 3rd guess is Bell, to add size and strength. Then again, I wouldn't really be surprised if it is Jacobs or Yuri. I am assuming Weaver, Hankton, and Diari will come off the bench.  I cannot wait to see this unfold. 

3 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I don’t buy your premise. Coaches recruit athletes. There are many top college players who are mediocre or poor free throw shooters. 

Billiken Rich likes this

24 minutes ago, willie said:

I don’t buy your premise. Coaches recruit athletes. There are many top college players who are mediocre or poor free throw shooters. 

As a percentage of the rotation, they are small. Check out the team free throw percentages of the top 25 programs. Most of them shoot well over 70%. When you have 6 guys in your rotation that are good to great from the line, you can afford to have a couple of bricklayers.

4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

As a percentage of the rotation, they are small. Check out the team free throw percentages of the top 25 programs. Most of them shoot well over 70%. When you have 6 guys in your rotation that are good to great from the line, you can afford to have a couple of bricklayers.

I would like to see your numbers. I don’t believe most of these teams are shooting over 70%. 

21 minutes ago, willie said:

I would like to see your numbers. I don’t believe most of these teams are shooting over 70%. 

This will get you started, using last year's free throw stats:

Virginia        .744
Villanova        .728
North Carolina    .743
Duke            .686
Kentucky        .739
Michigan State    .771
Kansas            .705
Gonzaga            .761
Tennessee        .754
Michigan        .701
Florida State    .744
Texas Tech        .732
Purdue            .719
Auburn            .711
LSU                .752
Houston            .711

Someone above mentioned Wooden not teaching shooting skills. I remember watching an interview with him where he said one thing he stressed to his players was to use the glass for short jumpers and drives to the hoop. He believed it helped in rebounding on misses. 

dennis_w likes this

59 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Someone above mentioned Wooden not teaching shooting skills. I remember watching an interview with him where he said one thing he stressed to his players was to use the glass for short jumpers and drives to the hoop. He believed it helped in rebounding on misses. 

That was me and I never said that he did not teach shooting skills.  What I said was that he did not work on a player's weakness but focused on their strengths.  I would suggest that you go back reread my entire post for all the reasons why he used this approach.