2019-20 Season

On 9/25/2019 at 7:39 PM, Aquinas said:

How big are the A10 Bigs?

Info from Verbal Commits. Did not include walk on, or Fordham.

Davidson

Luka Brakovic 6, 10 250 so 2*

Nelson Broachie 6, 8 220 so 2*

David Kristensen 6, 10 210 fr 2*

Dayton

Jordy Tshimanga 6, 11 268 jr 3*

Chase Johnson 6, 9 219 jr 3*

Obadiah Toppin 6, 9 220 so 2*

Moulaye Sissoko 6, 9 248 fr 3*

Duquene

Baylee Steele 6,11 240 sr 2*

Michael Hughes 6, 8 240 jr 2*

Austin Rotroff 6, 8 240 so 3*

Amari Kelly 6, 9 230 so 2*

James Ellis 6, 11 237 fr 2*

George Mason 

Greg Calixte 6, 8 227 jr 2*

Josh Oduro 6, 9 237 fr 2*

George Wash

Arnaldo Toro 6, 8 248 sr 2.7*

Javier Langarrca 6, 9 228 jr 2*

Sloan Seymour 6, 9 205 jr 2*

Chase Paar 6, 9 220 fr 2*

LaSalle 

Moustapha Diagne 6, 9 230 sr 4*

Clifton Moore jr.  6, 10 220 jr 4*

Ed Crosswell 6, 8 250 so 2*

Brandon Stone 6, 11 200 fr 3*

U Mass

Djery Bapptiste. 6, 10 245 sr 3.5*

Sy Chatman 6, 8 220 so 2*

The Mitchell 6, 9 240 fr 4*

Rhode Is

Cyril Langevine 6, 8 225 sr 2.7*

Jermaine Harris 6, 8 220 so 4*

Richmond

Grant Golden 6, 10 255 sr 2.5*

Souleymane Koureissi 6, 9 215 so 3*

Matt Grace 6, 9 230 so 2*

St. Joe

Taylor Funk 6, 8 230 jr 3*

Lorenzo Edwards 6, 8 215 jr 2*

Anthony Longpre 6, 10 245 jr. 2*

St. Bon

Amadi Ikpeze 6, 10 245 sr 2*

Osun Osunniyi 6, 10 215 so 2*

Justin Winston 6, 8 220 fr 3*

Robert Carpenter 6, 8 215 fr 2*

VCU

Marcus Silva 6, 7 250 jr 3*

Corey Douglas 6, 8 220 jr 2*

Hansen Ward 6, 9 200 fr 2*

SLU

Hasan French 6, 7 245 jr 3.3*

KC Hankton 6, 7 215 so 2*

Jimmy Bell 6, 11 270 fr 3*

Madani Diarra 6, 10 240 fr 2*

Fun list to look at.  I never pay much attention to *'s.  Toppin was a 2*, okay.  LaSalle loaded, right with two 4's and a 3?  Yet they are picked in the lower third in most preseason polls.

I continue to feel that Rhody is being undersold.  Langevine and Harris have the potential to be a dynamite frontcourt.  Add Russell, Dowtin and Martin to the mix, and they could be potent.

Thanks for putting this together.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An issue with banking on French as our 5, and the other bigs as backups, is what happens when French is in foul trouble, fouls out, is sick, injured or even just banged up. A team with depth will go after him, especially if he picks up a quick early foul.  It's easy to pick up 2 quick fouls on an away court. Ford generally benches a player with 2 fouls for the rest of the first half, even if it happens in the first minute.

I think it's in the Billikens best interest to push Bell to play as many quality minutes as he can.

willie likes this

12 hours ago, Aquinas said:

I'm hoping to see significant minutes with Bell at the 5. If he can hold his own, French will dominate as a 4. I also think KC will make significant contributions in the rotation. Madani is the one big that we have not had any reports on.  Perkins might be the wing best suited to play the 4 with his JC experience and height, but the article about him made it look like he is better suited to the wing position.

i believe bell will be a very pleasant surprise and as i have said before dont sleep on hankton

23 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

An issue with banking on French as our 5, and the other bigs as backups, is what happens when French is in foul trouble, fouls out, is sick, injured or even just banged up. A team with depth will go after him, especially if he picks up a quick early foul.  It's easy to pick up 2 quick fouls on an away court. Ford generally benches a player with 2 fouls for the rest of the first half, even if it happens in the first minute.

I think it's in the Billikens best interest to push Bell to play as many quality minutes as he can.

A serviceable grad transfer big would have looked good for that last scholarship.

TheChosenOne likes this

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

I'd rather have Bell and Diarra get some minutes rather than Rashid Anthony 2.0

I agree with both of you. If Ford could have landed the right guy, i'm sure he would have.  I'm happy with everything I've heard about Bell. We are thin up front, I'm hoping Ford lands a big in the 2020 class. 

On 9/27/2019 at 4:56 PM, Aquinas said:

I agree with both of you. If Ford could have landed the right guy, i'm sure he would have.  I'm happy with everything I've heard about Bell. We are thin up front, I'm hoping Ford lands a big in the 2020 class. 

I have no doubt Ford was looking for one and not every grad transfer big as R.Anthony 2.0 - that's a silly argument.

6 hours ago, ACE said:

I have no doubt Ford was looking for one and not every grad transfer big as R.Anthony 2.0 - that's a silly argument.

My point was that the type of grad transfer big we were likely to land was not a game changer.  Obviously that was the fact since we didn't land one. 

From the above list, the A10 bigs are:

Brajkovic, Toppin, Hughes, Crosswell, Langevine, Golden, Funk, Longrpre, Ossunniyi, Santos-Silva, Douglas and French,  The rest are either unknowns with unproven track records, or transfers and freshmen.  And of the list here, only Toppin, Hughes, Ossunniyi, Santos-Silva and Douglas play with their backs to the basket ala French.

1 hour ago, willie said:

If the games are on at the same time we will get booted to Y98. 

48 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

It's going to happen 15 times?  Seems like it will be hard for the station to say that it's the "Home of the Billikens."  That sucks.

Good research, Cowboy.

Having games on Y98 is still better than when games were on 590AM or whatever.  As much as I don't like it, it is more than understandable for 101ESPN to prioritize the Blues games over SLU games.

Best case would be for KMOX to want some kind of sports while the Cardinals aren't playing and SLU could move over there.

14 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

This has to be one of the best videos SLU has ever done.

I feel like this is the perfect time for our bi-annual "will the success or failures or the cardinals and blues impact our attendance", and in which way.

25 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

Makes me want to put my billiken hard hat on and watch some hoops, cant get here soon enough

What is this Billiken hard hat you speak of? I like the sound of it.

The past few seasons I have found myself being more and more excited for Billiken basketball while my interest in other sports has waned.

44 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

The past few seasons I have found myself being more and more excited for Billiken basketball while my interest in other sports has waned.

Justin Love's father used to wear hard hats to the game.

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

coach ford handed out hard hats to the players last season, when my son and i went to the vcu game in richmond we wore hard hats. go a lot of comments from the coaches and the crowd. i posted some pictures, not sure how to find them in the archives

TheChosenOne likes this

10 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

coach ford handed out hard hats to the players last season, when my son and i went to the vcu game in richmond we wore hard hats. go a lot of comments from the coaches and the crowd. i posted some pictures, not sure how to find them in the archives

I remember that picture of you and your son it was a good look.

You could find that post with that picture in this site, it was on the VCU GDT thread wasn’t it?

dennis_w likes this