2019-20 Season

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Sheltiedave said:

Weaver exerted tremendous amounts of energy on d, but that is best served Mano Mano on the ballhamdler trying to dribble through a press or trap.

i would wager Yuri already is the best ball handler; he already has the solid handle and can break down a defender and off side help better than Thatch and Goodwin.

We have the personnel to play grinding thug ball, 15 minutes of hell ball, and hopeful with the guard and shooter additions we can also throw a beautiful game against opponents.

With the guys that we have that can get after it defensively, I really hope we throw the press at teams much more this season. This team has a roster that is built to press.

Weaver’s D has been the most overlooked part of his game.

53 minutes ago, brianstl said:

With the guys that we have that can get after it defensively, I really hope we throw the press at teams much more this season. This team has a roster that is built to press.

Weaver’s D has been the most overlooked part of his game.

+ we're deep enough we can have players in foul trouble and not lose playing level.

6 hours ago, Sheltiedave said:

Weaver exerted tremendous amounts of energy on d, but that is best served Mano Mano on the ballhamdler trying to dribble through a press or trap.

i would wager Yuri already is the best ball handler; he already has the solid handle and can break down a defender and off side help better than Thatch and Goodwin.

We have the personnel to play grinding thug ball, 15 minutes of hell ball, and hopeful with the guard and shooter additions we can also throw a beautiful game against opponents.

I love u, Sheltie. I just have this feeling that Yuri is going to be something special. Not because he scores a bunch, but because he can set guys up to score. 

27 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Funny how now y’all are arguing about the starting lineup, but when I said Gordon was going to start all I got was “starting is for hs” BS from the mbm 

Hey Clock work orange 2004 no one is arguing it is just a discussion and posts like this is why they all post such things back at you.

Bring back Glory Days 2013

14 hours ago, slu72 said:

I love u, Sheltie. I just have this feeling that Yuri is going to be something special. Not because he scores a bunch, but because he can set guys up to score. 

72   I have that same feeling with this year's team.  Of course, we can be wrong.   Won't be the first time for me.   But other than Bess we are not losing hard to replace talent.  And in fact, I believe we have enough returning talent to have a very good year - but this returning talent needs play the roles in which they thrive to be successful.  And to me, this includes being set up (Yuri) and proper floor spacing to open the lanes/play against man-to-man defenses (Jimerson, Weaver, Perkins to provide the outside shooting) to consistently show what they have already shown in those roles.  And add the new talent to this team, and we might just have a good team and our rebuild might possibly be ahead of schedule.

CBFan and Zink like this

19 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

72   I have that same feeling with this year's team.  Of course, we can be wrong.   Won't be the first time for me.   But other than Bess we are not losing hard to replace talent.  And in fact, I believe we have enough returning talent to have a very good year - but this returning talent needs play the roles in which they thrive to be successful.  And to me, this includes being set up (Yuri) and proper floor spacing to open the lanes/play against man-to-man defenses (Jimerson, Weaver, Perkins to provide the outside shooting) to consistently show what they have already shown in those roles.  And add the new talent to this team, and we might just have a good team and our rebuild might possibly be ahead of schedule.

This is where I’m at too. 

12 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Wiley commented something like that on his Instagram. He probably trying to get a bit quicker/ little more explosiveness. Cut some of that baby fat. Good to see he put in the work this off-season.

Hope it doesn’t affect his ability to offensive rebound 

SLU_Lax likes this

15 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Hope it doesn’t affect his ability to offensive rebound 

I wouldn't worry about it.  This year he'll hit more of his shots on the first attempt and so won't have nearly as many Moses Malone-style offensive rebound opportunities.

Also, with better table-setting guards to run a more efficient offense, the shooting percentage in general (not just Jordan's) should improve, reducing the chances for offensive rebounds.

8 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

This year he'll hit more of his shots on the first attempt and so won't have nearly as many Moses Malone-style offensive rebound opportunities.

+ a million 

I know I like learning a little more about board members, especially those whose posts I have read and enjoyed for years.  I will take this opportunity to disclose that I am getting ready to board up some windows on my house as Dorian may or may not come at us.  I am in Melbourne Florida, which is about 30 miles south of Cape Canaveral and south east of Orlando.  Just got back for the ocean to get a look at the growing waves.  I moved from St. Louis about 25 years ago and even though I had 2 daughters to through the University of Florida and one currently attending UCF, I have remained a dedicated Billiken fan. I started following the Billikens when Coach Grawer arrived, I have enjoyed all of the highs and weathered all of the lows.  I am looking forward to the coming season and seeing this new collection of existing and new players come together.  But for the next couple of days I will be distracted by this hurricane and would appreciate any prayers you can send my way.  But really the prayers should  go to those poor souls in the Bahamas who are facing 180 MPH winds right now.

That said, I'm still hoping Bell is our starting center.... You can put that on my tumb stone if this storm goes badly.

14 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

I know I like learning a little more about board members, especially those whose posts I have read and enjoyed for years.  I will take this opportunity to disclose that I am getting ready to board up some windows on my house as Dorian may or may not come at us.  I am in Melbourne Florida, which is about 30 miles south of Cape Canaveral and south east of Orlando.  Just got back for the ocean to get a look at the growing waves.  I moved from St. Louis about 25 years ago and even though I had 2 daughters to through the University of Florida and one currently attending UCF, I have remained a dedicated Billiken fan. I started following the Billikens when Coach Grawer arrived, I have enjoyed all of the highs and weathered all of the lows.  I am looking forward to the coming season and seeing this new collection of existing and new players come together.  But for the next couple of days I will be distracted by this hurricane and would appreciate any prayers you can send my way.  But really the prayers should  go to those poor souls in the Bahamas who are facing 180 MPH winds right now.

That said, I'm still hoping Bell is our starting center.... You can put that on my tumb stone if this storm goes badly.

Good luck 

Well, Aquinas, I'm here in SC sweating bullets just like you. Will make the evac decision tomorrow and head to my daughter's place in Atlanta if it's a go. Been thru too many where u lose power and water for a couple of days or more. Just got too old for the adventures of living back in the 1880's. 

Good luck down there and here's hoping neither of us get the dreaded visit from Jim Cantore. 

52 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

We will make the tombstone 280#s and let Bell know. In your honor he will maintain that weight through a stellar4 year career. He'll mention you in at the Billiken banquet and say how you made it easy to keep #'s off as since after your passing his weight was  set in stone.

To Aquinas and slu72. Good luck to both.

Aquinas, you may or may not get the full impact of Dorian, but what you will most certainly get regardless of the path this thing takes, is a hell of a lot of rain. If the area of Melbourne you live in is at a lower level or near the sea, I would seriously consider moving to one of your daughter's places for a couple of days after you board the house.

Slu72, make your decision quickly, board the place, and head to Atlanta as soon as you can, the longer you wait the worse the traffic on the roads all heading out. You do not want to experience this thing hit near you while you are in a car stuck in the road.

Best of luck, to both.

6 hours ago, Aquinas said:

I have a niece going to UCF right now

Charleston will flood unless this beast stays about 50 miles offshore. The surge, rain, and tides, and we are in a period known as the King Tides, all combine to overwhelm us. My condo sits on a small tidal basin but has never flooded, even during the 1000 year rain of a few years ago, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and saying my prayers. 

The governor has mandated a total evac of the coastal areas in SC. So, I'll heed it. Aquinas if you're under a similar order, I'd go as well.   Why risk it? 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Charleston will flood unless this beast stays about 50 miles offshore. The surge, rain, and tides, and we are in a period known as the King Tides, all combine to overwhelm us. My condo sits on a small tidal basin but has never flooded, even during the 1000 year rain of a few years ago, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and saying my prayers. 

The governor has mandated a total evac of the coastal areas in SC. So, I'll heed it. Aquinas if you're under a similar order, I'd go as well.   Why risk it? 

@Aquinas and Slu72 - good luck and stay safe.

I completely understand that for many people they just don't have the resources to skip town for days at a time. I'm sure many of areas in the path of the hurricane will have shelters set up.  For those that do have the money and resources to leave town but choose to "brave" it out and  stay home? Hard for me to generate any sympathy for you if something happens. Like you said: why risk it?