2019-20 Season

IMO, Perkins will start, and become a fan favorite; trust me (I know some of you don't, but whatever...);  & Given the sheer upside of Bell, Jimerson, Yuri, and Hargrove, (I hope they all pan out and put in the work for 4 years), it's hard to see them not getting minutes fairly soon, if not immediately.  Weaver (pretty small!) may be the wild card in all this: how does his game translate to our fairly strong OOC schedule & A10?  Who can he guard??

Overall, given our roster strengths, it seems like Jacobs, Hankton, and Diarra will find minutes most difficult to come by.  That leaves 9, counting Weaver.  then usually the injuries have an effect on rotation, obviously.  Or knucklehead stuff; or grades.  Never underestimate the latter 2.  But so far this group SEEMS pretty together and all pretty good citizens, from what I can gather. 

MusicCityBilliken and CBFan like this

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

IMO, Perkins will start, and become a fan favorite; trust me (I know some of you don't, but whatever...); 

I feel like most have been saying Perkins will start.  Based on what coach has been saying Im getting the feeling Bell will start too,

Goodwin

Thatch

Perkins

French

Bell

This is another big, aggressive- rebounding team. 

After seeing what French does to other teams 5's, I cant wait to see how he throws around smaller defenders. 

HoosierPal likes this

14 minutes ago, bauman said:

It wouldn't surprise me if we went more than 8 deep if TF really wants to play up tempo this year.  Out of the 12 man roster I can see MD and KCH as getting the smallest amount of playing time.  Other that that I can see a battle for time between the remaining 7 (excluding JG, HF and FT Jr.)  with some tough decisions needed from TF.  A good problem to have.

All we as MBM's can do is speculate on the rotation, which is fun this time of the year.  Coach had some decent teams at OSU and pretty much went with the 8 +2 pattern.  You can certainly play uptempo with 8 guys, + 2.  Goodwin, French and probably Thatch will be playing 30+ minutes, if they stay out of foul trouble and aren't liabilities at the FT line.  That means 2 five minute breaks (or more and shorter) which they have shown they can do.  Goodwin went 34+ last season and French went 30+.  No they don't have to go that long, but why take your main studs out of the game.

What was interesting to me was that on one of his recent interviews, Coach stated that we have 8 players with different strengths.  Was using the 8 a key to the future, or just an arbitrary number?   Personally I would go deeper than 8, but I'm not the coach. 

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I feel like most have been saying Perkins will start.  Based on what coach has been saying Im getting the feeling Bell will start too,

Goodwin

Thatch

Perkins

French

Bell

I like this 5, but the key is how long can Bell go before he needs a rest. 

20 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

IMO, Perkins will start, and become a fan favorite; trust me (I know some of you don't, but whatever...);  & Given the sheer upside of Bell, Jimerson, Yuri, and Hargrove, (I hope they all pan out and put in the work for 4 years), it's hard to see them not getting minutes fairly soon, if not immediately.  Weaver (pretty small!) may be the wild card in all this: how does his game translate to our fairly strong OOC schedule & A10?  Who can he guard??

Overall, given our roster strengths, it seems like Jacobs, Hankton, and Diarra will find minutes most difficult to come by.  That leaves 9, counting Weaver.  then usually the injuries have an effect on rotation, obviously.  Or knucklehead stuff; or grades.  Never underestimate the latter 2.  But so far this group SEEMS pretty together and all pretty good citizens, from what I can gather. 

I was hoping that Jacobs and Hankton with a year in would have improved enough to get more playing time than the freshman.

I am so excited to watch Hargrove play this season and seeing how many ways he can score.

I always appreciate your your opinion  of the team posts.

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Goodwin went 34+ last season and French went 30+.  No they don't have to go that long, but why take your main studs out of the game.

The only reason I see is so fatigue doesn't set in come conf tournament. 

16 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Ya, this is the scary part.  I cant see it being too long. 

-depends who would replace Bell, if the player Bell went in for can stay on the bench and someone else sub in for Bell, that would open some minutes for Bell

20 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Ya, this is the scary part.  I cant see it being too long. 

I'm sure Bell will eventually round out into a nice starting center for us.  Skeptical about it happening this year.   I will have to see him play 25 min a game as a starter to believe it.   Don't see how we can play uptempo with him in the game. 

JMM28, Littlebill and brianstl like this

3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'm sure Bell will eventually round out into a nice starting center for us.  Skeptical about it happening this year.   I will have to see him play 25 min a game as a starter to believe it.   Don't see how we can play uptempo with him in the game. 

It would be amazing to have a freshman (almost) 7 footer come in and start and play meaningful minutes at SLU. Those type of guys are usually Power5 recruits. Based on that, I don't see it happening this year. 

brianstl likes this

11 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

It would be amazing to have a freshman (almost) 7 footer come in and start and play meaningful minutes at SLU. Those type of guys are usually Power5 recruits. Based on that, I don't see it happening this year. 

Bell allows French to play the 4, which ford ya said numerous times that’s where he wants French.  Also ford seems excited about bells progress and where he’s at

47 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Goodwin

Thatch

Perkins

French

Bell

This is another big, aggressive- rebounding team. 

After seeing what French does to other teams 5's, I cant wait to see how he throws around smaller defenders. 

I don't see Bell starting.  I just hope he can give us 15 minutes of solid defense when French needs a blow this season.  

I expect us to play a lot of small ball this season.  We have talented guard/wing/wrecking ball player depth.  We need to take advantage of that strength.

On 8/28/2019 at 9:40 AM, Aquinas said:

Bell at 6,10 270 has to be close to ideal for him.  I'm thinking maybe 260 is ideal?  

think about all the obese folks out there that will never be given the chance to lose that weight in a controlled situation with huge and possibly super huge payoff as an incentive pretty much because of his height. This could be the best loss of weight associated with the program since JC was booted.

16 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I think we're going to see Weaver, Goodwin, Thatch, Perkins, and French as the starting five/primary rotation until the younger guys prove themselves.

I agree.  I also think our ballhandling is going to get exposed when we play good teams.  Weaver's handles are kinda meh for a 5'10 dude.  Yuri's time will come.

3 hours ago, DoctorB said:

Weaver was supposedly a defensive dynamo at his last school, so don't know if his height will be an impediment in the A-10.

Weaver exerted tremendous amounts of energy on d, but that is best served Mano Mano on the ballhamdler trying to dribble through a press or trap.

i would wager Yuri already is the best ball handler; he already has the solid handle and can break down a defender and off side help better than Thatch and Goodwin.

We have the personnel to play grinding thug ball, 15 minutes of hell ball, and hopeful with the guard and shooter additions we can also throw a beautiful game against opponents.

So, based on Ford's comments and MBM's who have seen Perkins, I think we know 4 of the starting 5:  Goodwin, Thatch, Perkins, French.  Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me to see Jim(m)erson as the 5th starter.  He spreads the court and allows our guys to work.  It makes Goodwin the de facto pg, which I think he can handle in spurts.  It's a defensively imposing lineup with some punch on the offensive end.  

If it's not Jim(m)erson, then it has to be Weaver or Yuri (with my money on the former at the start of the season).  If you have Weaver, Goodwin, Thatch, Perkins, French, then you have ready made subs on the bench in Yuri/Jacobs, Jim(m)erson, TJ/Hankton, and Bell/Diarra.