2019-20 Season

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

Billiken heights and weights are out on the SLU site.  Good news Bell is now at 270.  Biggest surprise is Hargrove at 6,4. 

I saw that too about TJ. I thought I read an article last fall in the Post that he was 6-6 and possibly still growing.

1 hour ago, Aquinas said:

Billiken heights and weights are out on the SLU site.  Good news Bell is now at 270.  Biggest surprise is Hargrove at 6,4. 

I’m pretty confident that the 6’4 is not accurate. I feel more confident that he’s closer to 6’7 than 6’5

44 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I’m pretty confident that the 6’4 is not accurate. I feel more confident that he’s closer to 6’7 than 6’5

Saw him in the concourse last year and he’s no taller than I am at 6’5. He could be 6’5 but not 6’7. I remember being surprised because I had read him being taller as well.

13 hours ago, Aquinas said:

13 hours ago, mdscott24 said:

I saw that too about TJ. I thought I read an article last fall in the Post that he was 6-6 and possibly still growing.

12 hours ago, wgstl said:

He told Frank in that KSDK interview last year that he was 6-7 and still growing. This might've been optimistic, but he's definitely taller than 6-4.

That's some Majerus-level gamesmanship with the roster heights.

Just now, Aquinas said:

Bell at 6,10 270 has to be close to ideal for him.  I'm thinking maybe 260 is ideal?  

With multiple heights being off, I'm not sure we can trust the weights either. Let's go by the performance test.  If Bell can play longer than 5  minutes at a time without huffing and puffing, he's at the right weight.

billiken_roy and Pistol like this

On 8/20/2019 at 8:17 AM, slu72 said:

What's your outlook for Yuri and Hargrove? 

Bullish.  I saw Hargrove listed at 6'4" but I ran into him yesterday and he is taller than that, believe me; and PLAYS taller than that -- and given his arms probably still growing; super athletic, energizer bunny type.  I'm very bullish on them about 2 years from now; I think both get minutes right away but this team does not need to count on them which I take to be a good thing.  Terrific to have these 2 great kids coming off the bench.  Just think about our bench last year!

HoosierPal likes this

11 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Bullish.  I saw Hargrove listed at 6'4" but I ran into him yesterday and he is taller than that, believe me; and PLAYS taller than that -- and given his arms probably still growing; super athletic, energizer bunny type.  I'm very bullish on them about 2 years from now; I think both get minutes right away but this team does not need to count on them which I take to be a good thing.  Terrific to have these 2 great kids coming off the bench.  Just think about our bench last year!

Who do you think the point guard will be? Goodwin?

17 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

That is huge.  Having those two come off the bench as maybe players 7 & 8 would look pretty good.  I'm still figuring Coach only goes 8 deep, + 2 with short minutes, on most critical games, as he has done his entire coaching career.

billiken_roy likes this

13 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

That is huge.  Having those two come off the bench as maybe players 7 & 8 would look pretty good.  I'm still figuring Coach only goes 8 deep on most critical games, as he has done his entire coaching career.

who do we not see then. 

*weaver

*Goodwin

*french

*thatch

*Perkins

*Jacobs

*Hankton

jimerson

bell

yuri

hargrove

Diarra

My guess would have to be Yuri, Diarra and either Hargvrove or Hankton.  That'll be the battle to keep an eye on.

8 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

That is huge.  Having those two come off the bench as maybe players 7 & 8 would look pretty good.  I'm still figuring Coach only goes 8 deep, + 2 with short minutes, on most critical games, as he has done his entire coaching career.

Where do you have Tay Weaver slotted 🤔

27 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Where do you have Tay Weaver slotted 🤔

For me, the breakdown is top 8 regular rotation.  The only slots claimed to date, per Ford, are Goodwin, French and Thatch.  That leaves 5 open.

Next 2 ''hold the fort" players with single digit to low double digit minutes.

Three sitting most of the time.

The big unknown, as in every year, is injury and/or defection.  It happens and screws up every prediction.

Weaver is in one of those three categories 😁

I wouldn't be too concerned about the depth chart in November. Even Kevin Lisch came off the bench his first 4 games at SLU, playing behind Danny Brown.  Brown outplayed Lisch in the preseason.  It didn't last.  In the same vein, I wouldn't expect the 8th guy in the rotation to remain in that position come January.

billiken_roy likes this

30 minutes ago, wgstl said:

who do we not see then. 

*weaver

*Goodwin

*french

*thatch

*Perkins

*Jacobs

*Hankton

jimerson

bell

yuri

hargrove

Diarra

My guess would have to be Yuri, Diarra and either Hargvrove or Hankton.  That'll be the battle to keep an eye on.

It wouldn't surprise me if we went more than 8 deep if TF really wants to play up tempo this year.  Out of the 12 man roster I can see MD and KCH as getting the smallest amount of playing time.  Other that that I can see a battle for time between the remaining 7 (excluding JG, HF and FT Jr.)  with some tough decisions needed from TF.  A good problem to have.

What hurts this year is that the early part of our schedule is not filled with cupcakes.  I saw an ATHLON preview magazine and it shows our 2nd and 3rd games against teams who they predict to win their leagues, then S Hall who they predict to be in the top 15 nationally, then two games later Belmont who is also predicted to win their conference.  It's too bad that a couple of games that would normally be at the beginning of our schedule, Maryville and Beth-Cookman are later in Dec, although they might prove useful for making final playing time decisions as we start A-10 play in Jan.  

BTW, ATHLON picks us 6th in the conference.