2019-20 Season

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I have no doubt that Perkins will start. He's the best combination of shooting, ballhandling, size and athleticism on the team. What we don't know is whether that translates to 11 ppg or 15 ppg at the A10 level. Will be play 25 min or 32 min?  It's anyone's guess at this point.

From seeing the kid play, my guess is more 11 & 25. 🧐 👍

22 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

dont let the senior jett, mccall and loe cloud your comparison.    all three were about a million times better by the time they got to be seniors.   we all believed they had a lot of potential but it had to be developed and they had some growing up to do before they became the legends we all likely remember when we hear their names.  

I totally agree.  So, why aren't we applying the same standard to the present class.  We believe that they have a lot of potential, but it has to be developed and they will have to do some growing up before they become the legends that we will remember.

4 hours ago, DoctorB said:

Interesting speculation.  I can tell you that watching these newbies would make anyone optimistic, possibly towelable: there is a LOT to like already.  And that our returning core players are the defending A10 Champs.  And that the team chemistry seems good, possibly very good.  You never know about the knucklehead stuff but we look to be in solid shape, in terms of a full roster with talent strengths from top to bottom.

Comparing this year to 2010-11 (wow 9 years ago already !?!?!):  I think our upside is much better for immediate success.  I also think they are quite different situations, to say the least.  I agree with some who are tempered -- simply put, I will believe it when I see it, and this will be a work in progress. There were many games last year where we were not good at all, and look where we ended up, despite a very short bench.  Overall, many growing pains but a FUN year to watch and see how far some of these freshmen can take us. 

O yeh and by the way; Perkins is the real deal, immediate starter, major minutes, and I think lots of points and boards as well.  Different player from Bess, but we have our replacement.

Doc, I’m guessing you’ve seen the guys practice.  Any thoughts on Diarra? 

25 minutes ago, Pistol said:

He was the basketball beat writer for the U News, now going to Dan McLaughin's site. Always good to get more SLU coverage out there. He's a good follow on Twitter, too.

This is good news. I wonder if he will cover recruiting or will just focus on the team? Obviously will take whatever we can get. 

6 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Goodwin 

jimerson 

thatch 

Perkins 

French on defense

3 Star

As mentioned by Rise, I would probably have the same 5 out there.   Now, if we have a small lead and if French's FT shooting is no better, then maybe I pull French and insert Weaver, or Jacobs, or Yuri.  maybe I pull French and insert Hargove for size/rebounding...   If, though, we are down by a few, I would probably want French.   Or, if we are down by a few, I may take Thatch out and put Weaver in and thereby have Jimerson, Perkins and Weaver all ready, willing and able to launch a 3 pointer -- and of course, have Goodwin out there to slash to the basket and/or rebound.   In short, I don't believe we will be relying so heavily upon our Freshmen like we were forced to do in 2010-11.   Now, by the end of the season, the above lineup could be different - even during the last 3 minutes.

How about you?  Who would you have out there during the last 3 minutes?

30 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

-good for SLU athletics overall to have someone putting out content, especially someone that seems to have a real passion for SLU and The Billikens

-I do have a question about the first paragraph of his first article, what role did soccer play in the 1904 Olympics? I wasn't aware soccer was an event in those games

25 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-good for SLU athletics overall to have someone putting out content, especially someone that seems to have a real passion for SLU and The Billikens

-I do have a question about the first paragraph of his first article, what role did soccer play in the 1904 Olympics? I wasn't aware soccer was an event in those games

Exactly. Not just someone who's told to do it. Carter seems to have a real interest in SLU. Can't wait to see everything that he puts out. Hopefully we get some more personal pieces and stuff like Jimmy's. 

3 hours ago, billikenbill said:

From seeing the kid play, my guess is more 11 & 25. 🧐 👍

i dont think too many will play 30 minutes, if that happens then the freshman would be disappointing. i think the roster goes deep and a many will play. if perkins goes 11 i think that will be a very good number considering the depth

BIG BILL FAN likes this

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

3 Star

As mentioned by Rise, I would probably have the same 5 out there.   Now, if we have a small lead and if French's FT shooting is no better, then maybe I pull French and insert Weaver, or Jacobs, or Yuri.  maybe I pull French and insert Hargove for size/rebounding...   If, though, we are down by a few, I would probably want French.   Or, if we are down by a few, I may take Thatch out and put Weaver in and thereby have Jimerson, Perkins and Weaver all ready, willing and able to launch a 3 pointer -- and of course, have Goodwin out there to slash to the basket and/or rebound.   In short, I don't believe we will be relying so heavily upon our Freshmen like we were forced to do in 2010-11.   Now, by the end of the season, the above lineup could be different - even during the last 3 minutes.

How about you?  Who would you have out there during the last 3 minutes?

I also agree with Rise, except for when we play against intense ball pressure. I'd replace Jimerson with Yuri.

20 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

In 2010-11, we unexpectedly lost 4 guys - including our veteran PG (KM) and our 5 (Willie Reed).   We also turned to our new Freshmen for leadership, rebounding, shooting, scoring, etc.   This turned out to be tough for McCall who struggled trying to run the offense as PG..   Jett showed flashes of talent between all of his mistakes and turnovers.  Rob Loe showed definite skill but physically was not yet ready for D1 interior play.  To me, our best Freshman was Dwayne Evans.  And yes, Cody Ellis was a fine player -- but not that Sophomore year when he played with an injured hand from the firecracker accident and then missed the last 1/3 of the season with mono.   Even Conklin (a fine player) struggled with ankle injuries that year, did not have his best year and got little help from McCall in getting him the ball enough and at the right times.

Actually, Cody's bout with Mono came before the season and he missed the last part of the season because of an injury.  I think it was to his shoulder.

4 hours ago, Compton said:

Huh? You mean to downsize? 

No. Sorry. Incomplete thought. If French is not shooting well from the FT line, and if we have the lead, and if we need rebounding/size, then I pull French and insert another "big" such as Hargrove   as opposed to a guard such as Weaver, Yuri or Jacobs.

3 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Actually, Cody's bout with Mono came before the season and he missed the last part of the season because of an injury.  I think it was to his shoulder.

Yes.  That sounds more like what happened.   Wasn't he finally started to feel better and round into shape when he dove for a ball and hurt his arm/shoulder?

5 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I also agree with Rise, except for when we play against intense ball pressure. I'd replace Jimerson with Yuri.

Maybe.   I suspect Coach Ford will not want to take Jimerson out of the game.  Maybe pull Thatch for Yuri?

Either way -- we do have new guys -- though not all pure Freshmen.   And while some (both "experienced" and "non-experienced" may not pan out as expected/hoped), I believe this is where the quantity comes into play -- we will have a lot of options.  The Freshmen will not need to be relied upon at the start of the season, but if they fight and play hard, there will be a lot of playing time up for grabs.  

This thread is so off the rails it's hilarious.

Jimerson will get 8-9 minutes in the first half, although Ford will want to swap Yuri in for him in the double bonus, but Perkins will actually handle the ball more late in games, Hargrove will be subbed in as a big just to switch it up as he averages 18+ ppg in conference play, Thatch will have a total break-out year especially from beyond the arc, but Weaver will be on his heals for playing time following a 30pt performance, Hankton is going to turn into a lock-down defender, coach will be want to put Bell in between minutes 5 and 11 of each half, which will perfectly complement J. Good's nightly triple-double threats. Jacobs and Diarra won't see a ton of playing time except for their signature late game alley-oop showcases when we're up by 20+, which will be most games thanks to Hasahn's 11.5 rpg. 

Great to see how drunk everyone is on Bills 2019 basketball and it isn't even September yet. 

33 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

It helps to actually see the kids play.  As opposed to all the irresponsible "guessing" happening on this thread by guys who've not seen any of the players.

Roy, just so you know: it's the snarky and condescending comments by guys like you that chase away some of the people who might like to add something substantive to the conversation.  And yet I don't see it directed at any of that, or at such ridiculous comparisons as Neufeld vs. Bell.  You're a joke, dude.  There, I said it.  I'm happy to take my tea leaves and ouija boards elsewhere, too.

Coming from you that means so much.   Ill be sure to tell my son that we wont be gifting you tickets ever again when you come begging.