2019-20 Season

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Lmk when that happens in a competitive game buddy 

didnt villanova win a national title playing 5 guards?  a few years back lasalle got to the elite 8 playing 5 guards.   illinois made it to the championship in 2004 pretty much playing 4 guards.   it happens.  

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

didnt villanova win a national title playing 5 guards?  a few years back lasalle got to the elite 8 playing 5 guards.   illinois made it to the championship in 2004 pretty much playing 4 guards.   it happens.  

Congrats on listing 3 teams dating all the way back to 2004 where that works. 

You think we have 1 player with the same shooting ability of any of those 5 Villanova players. Get real 

Yes, there were times when Villanova had 5 guards on the floor. They were also a great perimeter shooting team. When you're scoring 3 points versus the other team's 2, you can get away with putting a lot of guards on the floor. We're a long way away from fielding a great perimeter shooting team.

all he insinuated was they couldnt play all guards.  i simply gave him examples of teams that did.   no mention we were villanova.

Paschall (6-7) and Spellman (6-9) on the 2018 Villanova team were forwards. They were both comfortable playing out to the perimeter, though.

Ochefu (6-11) on the 2016 team was a true at-the-basket big.

Both teams ran mostly 4-out, 1-in sets, though, so you're basically correct.

La Salle in 2013 played super small - only made the Sweet 16, but still. The only big they started was Jerrell Wright (6-8) and Steve Zack would come off the bench. They rarely played at the same time, though, and they had no other bigs in the rotation. And those four guards were all 6-3 or shorter.

That 2005 Illinois team is a pretty good early example of where the game would eventually go, with Brown (6-0), Williams (6-3), and Head (6-3) in the backcourt, Augustine inside, and Roger Powell (6-6) basically playing a combo forward role.

Your overall point is correct, though, that teams are going small and winning small. This team will do that a lot, with French as the lone big at times and either Perkins or Goodwin or Hankton or Hargrove taking forward duties. We're not going to get big enough minutes from Bell and Diarra to keep that from happening, and it's fine. Especially in the A10, where French and Goodwin can still have their way down low, and Hargrove and Perkins and Hankton have enough size and length to guard opposing fours. We should see some interesting lineups this season and that'll be fun.

13 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Paschall (6-7) and Spellman (6-9) on the 2018 Villanova team were forwards. They were both comfortable playing out to the perimeter, though.

Ochefu (6-11) on the 2016 team was a true at-the-basket big.

Both teams ran mostly 4-out, 1-in sets, though, so you're basically correct.

La Salle in 2013 played super small - only made the Sweet 16, but still. The only big they started was Jerrell Wright (6-8) and Steve Zack would come off the bench. They rarely played at the same time, though, and they had no other bigs in the rotation. And those four guards were all 6-3 or shorter.

That 2005 Illinois team is a pretty good early example of where the game would eventually go, with Brown (6-0), Williams (6-3), and Head (6-3) in the backcourt, Augustine inside, and Roger Powell (6-6) basically playing a combo forward role.

Your overall point is correct, though, that teams are going small and winning small. This team will do that a lot, with French as the lone big at times and either Perkins or Goodwin or Hankton or Hargrove taking forward duties. We're not going to get big enough minutes from Bell and Diarra to keep that from happening, and it's fine. Especially in the A10, where French and Goodwin can still have their way down low, and Hargrove and Perkins and Hankton have enough size and length to guard opposing fours. We should see some interesting lineups this season and that'll be fun.

Texas Tech this past season was one 6-10 guy playing with four players 6'5" or under.

1 hour ago, Coach314 said:

I don't see Perkins playing PF.  

Kansas State went on their run to the Elite 8 with Xavier Sneed as their PF.  And they weren't a great 3pt shooting team

They had two guys shooting over 40% and Sneed shot 34% on high volume.  Compared to us, they were sharpshooters.

We are still getting the pieces together.  Shooting will continue to be a major issue, just not as much as it was last year.  Perkins and Weaver haven't even practiced with these guys yet.  It's going to take a few months to get the timing down between all these new players and getting everyone to understand where their teammates need the ball to be most effective.

In the A10 anybody 6'5 or over can play power forward for stretches.

Old guy and Zink like this

4 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Lmk when that happens in a competitive game buddy 

Did you watch any Billiken games last year?  Isabell and Goodwin, 2 ball handlers, were on the floor AT THE SAME TIME. Isabell, Goodwin, Wiley and Bess were on the floor AT THE SAME TIME. I think they were competitive, but I guess you didn’t think so. 

6 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

They had two guys shooting over 40% and Sneed shot 34% on high volume.  Compared to us, they were sharpshooters.

We are still getting the pieces together.  Shooting will continue to be a major issue, just not as much as it was last year.  Perkins and Weaver haven't even practiced with these guys yet.  It's going to take a few months to get the timing down between all these new players and getting everyone to understand where their teammates need the ball to be most effective.

Dean Wade didn't play during that tournament run and the other 40% 3pt shooter (Diarra) wasn't a high volume shooter.  

As for my comment on Perkins it was to the projections of him starting at PF.  I will defer to your knowledge on the A10 tho.

9 hours ago, Coach314 said:

Dean Wade didn't play during that tournament run and the other 40% 3pt shooter (Diarra) wasn't a high volume shooter.  

As for my comment on Perkins it was to the projections of him starting at PF.  I will defer to your knowledge on the A10 tho.

With all these 6-6/6-7 perimeter players playing the 4 in the A-10, you're probably better off defending them with a similarly sized perimeter player.

17 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I can repost your prior comments if needed but you were sure higher on our new players’ abilities than you have been recently.  Anything change?

Clock, why are you so worried? Things will find their own level and we will field a good squad this year. Some players will do better than expected, some will do worse. This is always the case, just give it time and let Ford do his thing.

28 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

I can repost your prior comments if needed but you were sure higher on our new players’ abilities than you have been recently.  Anything change?

Nope. We are going to be a better offensive team in March than we were this past March. But it's going to be a process. Players learn by playing a lot and making mistakes.

Expectations that all these new players are going to play together for a few weeks and be ready to finish top 5 in an improved A-10 where everyone else has a year head start are unrealistic.

slu72, Old guy, slufan13 and 3 others like this

This team will struggle at first. But Ford will keep them motivated as he has all his teams the first 3 years. Now if their potential is as good as we think, by the end of January we should see a team getting their stuff together. I think we'll see 2 of the FR starting, and a third the first 1 or 2 off the bench. It's gonna be fun to watch. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

This team will struggle at first. But Ford will keep them motivated as he has all his teams the first 3 years. Now if their potential is as good as we think, by the end of January we should see a team getting their stuff together. I think we'll see 2 of the FR starting, and a third the first 1 or 2 off the bench. It's gonna be fun to watch. 

It will be fun to watch.  

And don't get me wrong, it is usually fun to watch when we are favored but sometimes it is more fun when we are not. 

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

You’re right. You have an extra ticket on the Yuri Express ?

3 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I looked at Auburn, AL and it is not a dream trip for the average fan from a travel arrangement perspective -  with the planes, trains and automobiles in store to get there they better not hurt our NET rating

isnt it close to Atlanta?