2019-20 Season

3 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Ridiculous comparison. Thatch had a much harder transition. His game in high school was basically as an inside player, which he could frequently physically  dominate his opponent. At the college level, Fred had to develop more of a perimeter oriented game, something which he is still learning. Yuri’s game is built on quickness, ball handling, passing, and game awareness. All which should translate nicely at the next level. 

You have your seat on the Yuri Express. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, slu72 said:

It's kind of disappointing to hear a lot of people cutting on Ford. 3rd year Dancing w/a depleted roster. When he was hired many of us thought this would take 5 years. The guy can recruit, motivate, and commit fully to a program. Time to appreciate what he does rather than compare him to Rick, who I loved, and get behind him fully. 

Here's hoping he is the long term SLU coach.  Has done an awesome job recruiting AND COACHING.

BIG BILL FAN likes this

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

It's kind of disappointing to hear a lot of people cutting on Ford. 3rd year Dancing w/a depleted roster. When he was hired many of us thought this would take 5 years. The guy can recruit, motivate, and commit fully to a program. Time to appreciate what he does rather than compare him to Rick, who I loved, and get behind him fully. 

Agreed. Ford has done a great job especially with the situations he’s had to face.  

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Yes.  A lot of backhand "compliments" like Ford is only a good recruiter (but apparently is awful at everything else)….  the players apparently just develop on their own (like 18/19 year kids are similar to NBA veterans and you need to do is roll the ball out and wear a nice suit to games).  No, I cannot think of ANY other sport where the head coach makes such an impact on the team/program as college basketball).  Or Ford hasn't won enough (thank God Ford won those 4 straight A10 games to get to the Tourney and get that monkey off his back).

Fact:   our program was a very low point at the time Jim Crews left.   A totally unfair circus I agreed not to talk about unexpectedly caused so many to leave and sabotage all that Ford had carefully put together.

bauman, Cincybill and Zink like this

5 hours ago, brianstl said:

It's Gibber's last name.

• Sorry but it not.  His last name is Jimerson not Jimmerson orJamison which he has been called in a few posts.  He is one of our top recruits so I think it is only common courtesy to spell his name correctly, especially sine the correct spelling has been pointed out before.  If we can't spell his name correctly I suggest we use GJ.

I don't see anyone misspelling our other recruit's names.

Edited by bauman
drkelsey55 likes this

3 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Ridiculous comparison. Thatch had a much harder transition. His game in high school was basically as an inside player, which he could frequently physically  dominate his opponent. At the college level, Fred had to develop more of a perimeter oriented game, something which he is still learning. Yuri’s game is built on quickness, ball handling, passing, and game awareness. All which should translate nicely at the next level. 

Exactly. 

*Takes another gulp of team blue kool aid"

51 minutes ago, brianstl said:

All I know is I’m pumped to see Jimmerson bomb away this season. 

You've got it all wrong, Brian.

The number of M's in his name is equal to the number of 3s he's hit in a game.  (That means he'll hit at least one every game!)  After his second made three, he'll be "Jimmerson"; after a third, he'll be "Jimmmerson."  When he has that one game, à la Troy Robertson, he'll be "Jimmmmmmmmmerson" by the end of the game.  Can we get Guy Phillips to go along with this with the pronunciation?

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I bet you wouldn’t pay up when you lose. 

You guys are twisting this into being anti Yuri, I just don’t see how he plays more with Weaver around. We still have Jacobs and Goodwin playing the same spot. Maybe Jordon moves to a 2 spot but I believe we will see something with 

1. Goodwin

2. Thatch 

3. Hargrove

4. Perkins

5. French

The only change up I see now, is putting a true big in, but that’s about it. This team is flexible outside of Jordan and French in the lineup. Matchups might dictate as well 

7 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

You guys are twisting this into being anti Yuri, I just don’t see how he plays more with Weaver around. We still have Jacobs and Goodwin playing the same spot. Maybe Jordon moves to a 2 spot but I believe we will see something with 

1. Goodwin

2. Thatch 

3. Hargrove

4. Perkins

5. French

The only change up I see now, is putting a true big in, but that’s about it. This team is flexible outside of Jordan and French in the lineup. Matchups might dictate as well 

No, you said Yuri would not play very much and made a false claim that Yuri will be the smallest D1 player then, I told you about Gilyard being smaller.

No one said you are anti Yuri that twisted thought is in your brain not ours.

There is no doubt in my mind you are a super Billiken fan.

57 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Our best lineups will be with somebody other than Goodwin playing the point. I don't really mean that as a knock on Goodwin

Ford, being an excellent PG at UK, will see the benefits of having a true PG directing traffic. Neither Jacobs nor Weaver, as I understand it, is a true PG. Whether Yuri starts from day 1 is immaterial. He will play, and I think will eventually become the starter this season. His size even at the D1 level is not that big a deal. As I cited above 3 of the starting PG's in the final 4 were roughly the same size as Yuri. Jgood, for all that he brings to this team is not a PG, he's a big 2 or a smaller 3 who finds his points on the inside. Hopefully, he's developed an outside game during the off season and becomes even a better player than he already is. But in terms of directing the offense, whether it be in the half court or on a break, I think Yuri will eventually turn out to be our best option. While I've never seen him play in person, I've seen his videos and his ability to get the ball to a man in position to score is pretty amazing. Over time I hope he does become more of an outside threat which will make him all the more effective. From what some on here have said, he turned out to be more of a scorer towards the second half of his senior year which is encouraging. Just remember he wasn't recruited as a big time scorer. Instead, he was signed because of his ability to make scoring for those around him easier. He's not a Morant, Walls, or Rose. I hope no one expects that from him. He's a facilitator and appears to be a really good one. Time to get on the Yuri express.

1 hour ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

1. Goodwin

2. Thatch 

3. Hargrove

4. Perkins

5. French

And from this group who is our threat from the perimeter to stop teams from packing it in against us with a zone? I'd expect Jimerson, if he continues to remain hot, to somehow work his way into the starting lineup. Yes, he might be a liability on D for a while, but what he brings to us from the perimeter makes us a totally different offensive team than the 5 you have listed. I guess you're saying Perkins is an outside threat, and I just don't know that much about his game other than he scores a lot of points. Where he scores those points from is my question. We played our best games last year when Bess and Isabell became threats from beyond the arc.

CBFan likes this

I dont think CT2004 is saying anything outlandish.  Yuri would have to seriously impress for Ford to hand him the keys right from the start.  This includes being able to shoot 35%+ from 3 point imo.  

I also do not think Ford would bring in Weaver just to have him sit behind Jacobs, Goodwin, Thatch, Yuri, and Jimerson.  Out of those 6, it is super tough distributing 80 mins assuming that 3 will be manned by Perkins, Hankton and Hargrove (I realize that Thatch will likely play some 3 as well).  

I think we would have saw a Jacobs transfer or no Weaver if Yuri was ready to come in and run the show.  

That said, if Yuri walks out as a starter on day 1 then I think we are dancing.  That would signal to me that Ford thinks Yuri is the second coming of Kwamain Mitchell.  

22 minutes ago, slu72 said:

And from this group who is our threat from the perimeter to stop teams from packing it in against us with a zone? I'd expect Jimerson, if he continues to remain hot, to somehow work his way into the starting lineup. Yes, he might be a liability on D for a while, but what he brings to us from the perimeter makes us a totally different offensive team than the 5 you have listed. I guess you're saying Perkins is an outside threat, and I just don't know that much about his game other than he scores a lot of points. Where he scores those points from is my question. We played our best games last year when Bess and Isabell became threats from beyond the arc.

Perkins is a good pick-up but his game is more of a mid-range jump shooting game and finisher on the break than anything. Watching the video of the juco all-star game, he doesn't appear to have blow-by speed and has a quirky little move in his jumper. With the extended arc, I see him as a low 30s percent 3 pt. shooter from three at best.

OK guys, as you all engage in this speculation please remember this. The final rotation will not be chosen until a number of the non conference games are played. If Yuri or anyone else starts in the first game, it does not mean automatically that he will be in the final core group chosen to play during the season.

2 minutes ago, Old guy said:

OK guys, as you all engage in this speculation please remember this. The final rotation will not be chosen until a number of the non conference games are played. If Yuri or anyone else starts in the first game, it does not mean automatically that he will be in the final core group chosen to play during the season.

The rotation was pretty much the exact same all last season other than Gordon leaving. I don’t think he will play around with lineups other than maybe 1 player rotating 

lineup rotations are done in scrimmages 

3 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

1. Goodwin

2. Thatch 

3. Hargrove

4. Perkins

5. French

I guess you missed the rule change. NCAA now allows more than one ball handler on the court at the same time. And, get this, you can play 4 or 5 small guys IF YOU WANT. I know it’s crazy. 

billiken_roy likes this

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

As I stated above, I don't think he'll be an out of the box starter or a turn key PG. But I do think, sometime in January he'll have worked his way into the starting lineup. Primarily because we don't really have a natural PG, which Yuri is.