2019-20 Season

Coach Ford has said positive things about every player, but some have received more enthusiastic praise than others. I think his public comments provide insight into the way he motivates his players. He is challenging each player to take their game to another level.  And he has painted a vision success for Team Blue as a team that will be feared this year. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

He did play them. But Jacobs got stage fright prior to getting hurt and Hankton got hurt. Contrast that with not playing Thor even in garbage time.

The most we heard about Thor was in his initial press release, which was before he got here. The most we heard about Thor after he got here was "he can shoot" but nothing about his readiness to play. I know this sounds like splitting hairs but listen to how Coach Ford describes Diarra vs how he describes Bell in the coming months.

Maybe.  Honestly not sure.  There were times when I thought I had a better chance of playing a few minutes Jacobs did.   And Hankton had that one game where he had some productive minutes --- and then back to nothing.

I get playing only 8, 9 or 10 guys -- and that players 11 and 12 just won't see any playing time - so get used to it.  But last year, we had 6 and 7 healthy players.

As to Thor, I suspect that CF took a last minute chance on a guy he knew little about, that Thor show up not only late but having been ill, that Thor then became injured as well - but most importantly, Thor simply was a disappointment and not what CF wanted or expected.  Had CF played Thor (like many on this Board wanted) that Thor may still be on our team today -- and that CF got the scholarship back like he wanted to do.

42 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Maybe.  Honestly not sure.  There were times when I thought I had a better chance of playing a few minutes Jacobs did.   And Hankton had that one game where he had some productive minutes --- and then back to nothing.

I get playing only 8, 9 or 10 guys -- and that players 11 and 12 just won't see any playing time - so get used to it.  But last year, we had 6 and 7 healthy players.

As to Thor, I suspect that CF took a last minute chance on a guy he knew little about, that Thor show up not only late but having been ill, that Thor then became injured as well - but most importantly, Thor simply was a disappointment and not what CF wanted or expected.  Had CF played Thor (like many on this Board wanted) that Thor may still be on our team today -- and that CF got the scholarship back like he wanted to do.

If what you are saying is true regarding the Thor situation then I blame Ford for rolling the dice on a possible 4 year obligation - one thing to do so on a grad transfer but not a 4 year kid.  

53 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

That's the case with most late signees, especially at the mid-major level. That's why it's preferable to avoid having to sign kids late, if possible. The hit rate for kids you've scouted for a year is much higher.

21 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

That's the case with most late signees, especially at the mid-major level. That's why it's preferable to avoid having to sign kids late, if possible. The hit rate for kids you've scouted for a year is much higher.

Agreed. Thanks Again to Dr. P and the anti-men radicals of S2 which is why we even added Thor. 

AGB91 likes this

Clock this is water under the bridge. In my 73 years of life I can say with certainty that some of the worst events in my life forced me to do the work that lead to some of my best achievements. The secret to this is to allow the bad from the past to flow out while concentrating in the good that is happening now. I think SLU MBB as a program has gone through a number of seasons of adversity due to different causes, including Crews. However I  think the program has gotten over this bad period and what we have going on now is pretty good. We managed to go to the dance last year and hopefully will make a repeat appearance this year. Ford is a very good coach, a great recruiter, and a guy that can get a team to work together. I am very happy about what is happening with SLU MBB now and look to the future for more and better results. Life is too short to live surrounded by past defeats and disappointments, believe me there.

moytoy12 likes this

5 hours ago, cheeseman said:

If what you are saying is true regarding the Thor situation then I blame Ford for rolling the dice on a possible 4 year obligation - one thing to do so on a grad transfer but not a 4 year kid.  

Misguided blame. Coach Ford neither caused nor overreacted to S2.

Take a chance and fill a roster spot or sit on a scholarship and play it safe.   And while I am against over-subscribing or giving out more scholarships than allowed and I am against running off EVERY recruit who does not perform on the basketball court, there is middle ground and some guys can and should be nudged along to develop/keep a strong program.  And lack of opportunity and honest end of year conversations are part of all sports teams. And in Thor's case, he left on his own mid-season - a quitter so I care less about him.

3 hours ago, Old guy said:

Clock this is water under the bridge. In my 73 years of life I can say with certainty that some of the worst events in my life forced me to do the work that lead to some of my best achievements. The secret to this is to allow the bad from the past to flow out while concentrating in the good that is happening now. I think SLU MBB as a program has gone through a number of seasons of adversity due to different causes, including Crews. However I  think the program has gotten over this bad period and what we have going on now is pretty good. We managed to go to the dance last year and hopefully will make a repeat appearance this year. Ford is a very good coach, a great recruiter, and a guy that can get a team to work together. I am very happy about what is happening with SLU MBB now and look to the future for more and better results. Life is too short to live surrounded by past defeats and disappointments, believe me there.

Well said.  Agree.

And while I am personally over S2 as it relates to SLU basketball, I will continue to bring it up to defend Coach Ford and the program -- here to explain why CF took Thor in the first place.   In the future, to explain why SLU hasn't won more games, etc. under Coach Ford....

But on another note, I am definitely NOT over S2 and the anti-male agenda of radicals on college campuses - including my alma mater - SLU.   No, I am quite concerned about sending my 18 year old son off to college next year -- wherever that may be -- and have these radicals who show zero understanding, patience or open-mindedness of young adults who can and will make mistakes as they learn and grow into not only well educated but also mature and responsible men and women.   Should my son make a mistake or two, will he be reviewed and punished by angry, radicals who have long passed being fair or pro-female but who have become anti-male?   Our former basketball players faced this and I am concerned.

JMM28 likes this

26 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Well said.  Agree.

And while I am personally over S2 as it relates to SLU basketball, I will continue to bring it up to defend Coach Ford and the program -- here to explain why CF took Thor in the first place.   In the future, to explain why SLU hasn't won more games, etc. under Coach Ford....

But on another note, I am definitely NOT over S2 and the anti-male agenda of radicals on college campuses - including my alma mater - SLU.   No, I am quite concerned about sending my 18 year old son off to college next year -- wherever that may be -- and have these radicals who show zero understanding, patience or open-mindedness of young adults who can and will make mistakes as they learn and grow into not only well educated but also mature and responsible men and women.   Should my son make a mistake or two, will he be reviewed and punished by angry, radicals who have long passed being fair or pro-female but who have become anti-male?   Our former basketball players faced this and I am concerned.

A contributing factor to S2 was also race as much as gender. 

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

Misguided blame. Coach Ford neither caused nor overreacted to S2.

Take a chance and fill a roster spot or sit on a scholarship and play it safe.   And while I am against over-subscribing or giving out more scholarships than allowed and I am against running off EVERY recruit who does not perform on the basketball court, there is middle ground and some guys can and should be nudged along to develop/keep a strong program.  And lack of opportunity and honest end of year conversations are part of all sports teams. And in Thor's case, he left on his own mid-season - a quitter so I care less about him.

I never said anything about S2.  My point simply was why take such a flyer on a little known quantity for 4 years.  If you want to do this with a grad transfer then fine,  Fortunately as you said the kid left on his own so Ford dodged a bullet.

42 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

A contributing factor to S2 was also race as much as gender. 

While I agree, I don't think it's in our best interests as fans to rehash any of that anymore.  Let's not mention it anymore.

Coach Ford said during last season that they were just getting their feet under them with regard to recruiting.  Yes, the turmoil of 2017 was an underlying factor, but with "their feet under them," that factor has finally been mitigated, for the most part.  As the program goes forward and Coach Ford builds a winner with upstanding young men who want to be Billikens, a part of his TeamBlue culture, October of 2017 and its aftermath will fade into a memory.

Jims Crews and Platt had done a very poor job of balancing a credible roster with the level of talent and respectfulness that Coach Ford has been building, and that's what necessitate some of the quicker-fix risks Ford took at first.  That, too, is quickly fading in memory.

rgbilliken likes this

While I agree, I don't think it's in our best interests as fans to rehash any of that anymore.  Let's not mention it anymore.

May not be but that's no reason not to speak of it. Ignoring history causes it to repeat and all of that. I think the whole thing has many unanswered ?s.

3 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Clock I am sorry you feel this way but understand your anger and your fear of any such incidents involving your son. I do not know else I can say.

2 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Yep it’s Hightower. Was on the team last year too. 

Still no Perkins or Weaver

2 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Yep it’s Hightower. Was on the team last year too. 

Still no Perkins or Weaver

Okay, thanks.

Cheese. You are correct. You did not mention it. I did in response/defense. Because 3 guards/shooters were unexpectedly shown the door towards the end of the year is the answer to why Thor. Had Ford known earlier, even by Christmas break, then CF does not make that offer. 

And I agree with the well stated words of Thicks and others... but that is the answer as to why Thor and why other late offers, why no consistent perimeter shooting last year, partly why the offense struggled, why a second year of grad transfer(s) this year, why 2 Freshman bigs,  why no Senior leadership this year...Agree in advance not to beat a dead horse... but we should also not forget the unfair hand of cards dealt to CF when we start to why CF did what he did...

28 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Cheese. You are correct. You did not mention it. I did in response/defense. Because 3 guards/shooters were unexpectedly shown the door towards the end of the year is the answer to why Thor. Had Ford known earlier, even by Christmas break, then CF does not make that offer. 

And I agree with the well stated words of Thicks and others... but that is the answer as to why Thor and why other late offers, why no consistent perimeter shooting last year, partly why the offense struggled, why a second year of grad transfer(s) this year, why 2 Freshman bigs,  why no Senior leadership this year...Agree in advance not to beat a dead horse... but we should also not forget the unfair hand of cards dealt to CF when we start to why CF did what he did...

I think Ford got some senior leadership this year. Weaver isn’t a Power 5 guard but the reports on his leadership from his coach and a teammate have been complimentary.

4 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Coach Ford said during last season that they were just getting their feet under them with regard to recruiting.  Yes, the turmoil of 2017 was an underlying factor, but with "their feet under them," that factor has finally been mitigated, for the most part.  As the program goes forward and Coach Ford builds a winner with upstanding young men who want to be Billikens, a part of his TeamBlue culture, October of 2017 and its aftermath will fade into a memory.

Jims Crews and Platt had done a very poor job of balancing a credible roster with the level of talent and respectfulness that Coach Ford has been building, and that's what necessitate some of the quicker-fix risks Ford took at first.  That, too, is quickly fading in memory.

I don’t think it is wrong to talk about it. What happened isn’t just a SLU problem. It is a title IX problem.  If we don’t talk about the problem, it won’t ever be fixed. What happened at SLU is minor compared to many other cases. Young black males across the country have have their lives ruined.

21 minutes ago, almaman said:

So the guy in shades is Hightower and the guy on French's right is Hargrove and Perkins is not in the picture that was posted as his first Billiken on campus photo?

Nope, Hargrove is in the shades. Hightower next to French.